Anyone have a hookup on MRE's?

Casper

I was just doing a Google search for mre ohio and this thread came up. I figure that the Domsday Preppers show will rack up sales of survival gear nationwide as people watch and think "Hmmm, maybe that isn't such a bad idea".

I want to have a case of them or so just to keep some in the "go bag" and have them on hand for camping with the boys.

Edited by ShawnR

Ready made resources usually has a good sale on them every now and then

Ready Made Resources

Looks like $89 / case with free shipping

http://www.readymaderesources.com/cart//storable-food-units/meals-ready-to-eat-mre-/mre-case-12-meals-free-shipping/prod_486.html

I am going to order a case of these:

http://www.mre-meals.net/products.php?cat=Complete+MRE+Meals

12 meals with heaters for $74 shipped

Edited by ShawnR

Real mil-spec mre's are currently illegal. But the same companies make the same thing with various names and some differences. Most of them will do what you need.

Prices are mostly the same for all types. But variety suffers in the cheap stuff.

Edited by ReconRat

Real mil-spec mre's are currently illegal. But the same companies make the same thing with various names and some differences. Most of them will do what you need.

Prices are mostly the same for all types. But variety suffers in the cheap stuff.

Why would they be illegal?

NoBama 2012

I'll get in on this too. I imagine there's going to be hordes of gullible people that are going to want to scarf up anything with "Survival", "Apocolypse", or "Zombie Defense" in their name. I'll rebrand the hell out of these and sell them for triple what I paid.

these threads remind me how much life would suck without my everyday technological amenities therefore the only MRE I'll need is a 9mm bullet :)

Says the man who I believe is still having an extended nerdgasm over his 70 inch TV.

Why would they be illegal?

NoBama 2012

Caught up in stupid rules about mil spec equipment getting out into the open market.

Meant more for weapons and aircraft parts moving around when they shouldn't.

But it includes anything marked "property of US Government".

edit: real Gov MREs will have ''U.S. Government Property, Commercial Resale is Unlawful'' .

Which is of course, why they are sold on eBay. Nobody pays any attention to that, most of the time.

Edited by ReconRat

I want to point out that there is a shelf life on MREs. About 6 years. It varies with temperature.

edit: I think the military doesn't go past 3 years. Which would be why a ton of that is surplus.

But that stuff gets out in the sun and heat and it's trashed.

I also point out that SPAM in a can (or any meat in a can) is good for more years than that.

And if refrigerated, either one would last maybe twice as long as that.

So SPAM in a can in the crisper drawer of the fridge, is good for maybe 20-30 years.

Compared to MREs in the basement, which would last 6 to 8 years.

The obvious: We were served K rations (in a can) in the Army, in the 1970s, that were marked with dates between 1945 and 1965.

There is USDA info out there on how long various food stuffs will last. Most don't. Meat in a can does.

Edited by ReconRat

Says the man who I believe is still having an extended nerdgasm over his 70 inch TV.

:D It just got extended a little more today because I finally fixed my Blu Ray issue of the audio and visual being off. Now I can watch Top Gun in all its Blu Ray glory without being ridiculously annoyed!

This is how I know if the world goes to shit I'll just be depressed so I'd rather eat a bullet. I've had a good run, I have no shame in saying it :)

I would recommend a 22lr!

I already got the 9mm :D

PRobably illegal because of whats in them.... Special "supplements".... FACT

Or are they just not FDA approved, and thus not allowed to be sold as retail supply?

unless I'm mistaken, MRE's have a TON of calories, because there's a presumption that you won't be eating often, and will be in a situation where you need to get ~5,000 calories out of something light, small, and easy to carry.

That doesn't exactly fit in the recommended daily allowances of vitamin whatever.

I got MRE's from the ROTC building in college a few times. Never had one that I didn't like. I was shocked by how good they were, so long as you could get the warm stuff warm.