fz1 transmission rebuild project thread...

oldschoolsdime92

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another pic. I have to remove the air injection tonight and get the holes tapped for the plugs to block off the air injection ports on the exhaust.

IMAG0594.jpg

Helmutt is going to drop off a motorcycle jack tonight that I think will work excellent to get the engine into position, and hold it steady. Granda080 is coming Saturday, and if all goes well , I should be back on the road by Saturday evening. I will keep the pics coming. After this is done, the fun really starts with digging into the other engine. Thanks Vandy! I appreciate the offer. I will let you know!

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Can someone change the name of this thread to engine swap? I will start a new thread when I fix the other engine. Thanks

i was just reading through this and wondered if you sere still going to change the gears.

anyway, and not to be a killjoy, might the new engine have the same problem, at least eventually? and is there anything you can do to the new one to prevent it form happening again, before you install it (better parts)?

The new engine appears to have the 7900 miles on it that the seller claimed. Everythings I..excellent shape. I've seen some with 15k and have the issue and some with 100k and no issue. I think it comes down to the rider. The original owner/builder of this bike spent a lot.of time on the track, along with very spirited rides. I'm pretty mellow for the most part. I am still going to fix the issue with my other engine and keep it as a spare, incase it does happen. I can then swap back, and fix the issue.

The new engine appears to have the 7900 miles on it that the seller claimed. Everythings I..excellent shape. I've seen some with 15k and have the issue and some with 100k and no issue. I think it comes down to the rider. The original owner/builder of this bike spent a lot.of time on the track, along with very spirited rides. I'm pretty mellow for the most part. I am still going to fix the issue with my other engine and keep it as a spare, incase it does happen. I can then swap back, and fix the issue.

word. good luck.

yeah andy rode the living piss out of that thing.

the first gen R6 (99-02)were known for a 2nd gear issue as well. yamaha used only 3 dogs on the gears. in 03 they added 2 more for a total of 5 and no one had issues since.

They claim its far enough down the exhaust to not have to worry about it. But for safe measured, I had the shop vac on hand. The directions from ivans performance, actually says you don't even have to remove the header. Just start the bike and it will come out of the exhaust. I actually didn't notice any chips come out, but I also was using the shop vac.

He's actually tapping outside the engine. As soon as the cylinders fire they'll blow any aluminum straight through the exhaust. Unless the shavings get caught in the muffler' date=' which also won hurt a thing.

Looking good, Brandt. Hope to see you and the FZ at Deal's Gap in June.[/quote']

Thats the plan! :D The engine should get to breath tomorrow! :D

Jack is ready- thanks hellmutt for loaning it to me!!

No problem at all man, I would have been there helping if I could so the jack is the least I could do bro -- like I said, hope its a painless transplant! And if you get time to spare tonight we go on stage at the Brewery about 11pm

Updates!

After a delicious breakfast,and much needed coffee we decided it was time to get moving.

IMAG0594.jpg

removed from crate, and set on jack. The craftsman atv/motorcycle jack proves to be a blessing!

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

engine now installed. My brother from another mother, looks things over.

IMAG0615.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

Header installed

IMAG0617.jpg

radiator installed

IMAG0619.jpg

Time for oil- I just put some regular valvoline motorcycle oil in to get it running. After a couple of miles and get it good and warm, I am going to change the oil and filter again.

photo.jpg

Now, heres what you are all waiting for...

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/lowxpectationz20/?action=view&current=VIDEO0019.mp4

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

It was a pretty smooth swap. I've put about a mile on it since completion and it shifts 150% better. Smooth and crisp. No slop. The engine all together runs 100% better than the previous also. The throttle response is much more crisp, easier starting, quieter. Sounds excellent. This engine was claimed at having 7,906 miles on it, and as smooth as it runs/shifts. I'm guessing thats exactly whats on it.