4x4 problems- a lil help please

cOoTeR

As some of you know I just bought a 97 silverado z71. The 4 wheel drive is electronic push button but it won't engage. I thought it was the actuator so I replaced it, but I was wrong. When I push the button for 4hi it just blinks. When I put the truck in neutral and press 4lo I can here a noise as if it engages but it doesn't and the light blinks. I've tried idling the truck forward and back but it doesn't engage. I did a search online and it said to check the voltage going to the actuator. I did and it has none. I checked the fuses all good. Another search said I need a new transfer case switch. I went to auto parts warehouse dot com (no spaces) to price one but couldn't find it. I did find a transfer case motor though. WTF is that, is it the same as a transfer case switch? I had bought a repair manual but it only had the floor "stick" to engage the 4x4 not the electronic system so I returned it.

All I know is I had a Blazer near that year and on top of the motor towards the back by the firewall there was a vacuum block and the hose that provided vacuum to the doohickey to engage the 4x4 had fallen off. The light also blinked and 4low also made a noise. I think it was near the area of the distributor cap. I'm Not sure that helps you at all.

Edited by Gump

Take the transfer case motor off, and see if it rotates when the button is pushed. If it does, have a friend grab onto the shaft that is exposed with a pair of channel locks, and see if rotates. If not, then the motor is bad. The only switch that I can think of is the buttons that engage the relay to power the motor. When you checked voltage, was the button pushed? If not, I don't think you will get a reading because no power should be going to it. Also, check the power coming out of the buttons. If you don't get power then, your switch is bad. Other than all of this, all I can suggest is talking to a GM mechanic. If GM uses vacuum to control it, you could have a crack in a hose that is the problem. Could mean replacing all the hoses just to be safe.

My ranger had the transfer case motor seize, and on ford the 4wd lights flash like 6 times every minute to tell you what is wrong. If 4wd drive doesn't get used, the transfer motor will seize. Good idea to use the 4wd system at least once a month, just to insure everything is functional.

It was only like a 15 minute fix on my ranger. Have a mechanic check your hubs also. If it has "auto" hubs, they are bad about cracking when they aren't used. Damn things are plastic, and will snap like stepping on ice. I changed mine out for manual hubs. Don't worry about them breaking now. Have to get out and luck my hubs, but at least I don't have to worry about them breaking any more.

Edited by DoughnuT

All I know is I had a Blazer near that year and on top of the motor towards the back by the firewall there was a vacuum block and the hose that provided vacuum to the doohickey to engage the 4x4 had fallen off. The light also blinked and 4low also made a noise. I think it was near the area of the distributor cap. I'm Not sure that helps you at all.

This.

Ok cool ill check for a vacuum line in the back of the motor tonight and if there's no luck there I'll look into the transfer case motor.

I think the transmission is a 4l60e but not positive. I replaced the 4x4 actuator on the passenger side of the transfer case near where the front axle goes into it. The part was from autozone for $99.99 but they and their supplier were out of stock and didn't know when it would come in. So I went to autopartswarehouse dot com and found it for $73 free shipping and bought it Sunday. It came in last night and I installed it.

I wouldn't call it a lemon but I'm a lil pissed about the issues that it has that I wasn't told about and I've called and expressed my feelings about it but it doesn't change anything. So far I still feel its a good buy and worth the work. It was owned by an old couple and the guy died and granny couldn't climb into it so she had her daughter sell it to help with funeral costs. Being old people in Arizona I doubt the 4x4 was ever used by them. I should have thought about that when I test drove the truck and tried it instead of just asking like a dumb ass. Oh well live and learn I guess.

Same thing happened to my dads blazer... Of course this was after he already replaced the $400 control module as well. Woops.

A friend of mine had the blinking 4x4 problem on his silverado a few years ago. Some of the switch panel connector pin solder joints had failed.

I pulled the switch panel, opened it up and resoldered the pins. All was good after that.

If you are near the cincinnati area I could help you out. Probably takes an hour tops (I'm slow). Ofcourse it may not be the same problem, but it's worth a try since it's free and doesn't hurt anything in the process.

Edited by DrewsBrews

Sorry bout the pics but they don't really matter for some reason I was looking at the front differential. Dumbass attack! But I found the encoder motor after removing the skid plate but I ran outta light so I'll have to look at it tomorrow. I still haven't found the vacuum line.

Sorry bout the pics but they don't really matter for some reason I was looking at the front differential. Dumbass attack! But I found the encoder motor after removing the skid plate but I ran outta light so I'll have to look at it tomorrow. I still haven't found the vacuum line.

And you're not going to find a vacuum line for the 4X4 on that truck. Encoder motor on the left side of the transfer case, axle actuator on the front differential, switch assy, t-case module, and associated wiring is all. Encoder motor and axle actuator are the most common failures, and the switch is semi-common.

Does it have the auto 4X4 option? If so, I think I have a switch in my tool box you could try out... If you were still local, that is.

Do you hear the encoder motor trying to turn? Beyond that, you'd need the wiring diagram to know what the switches inside it are supposed to be doing. You can pull it off and plug it back in and see what it does without it attached to the transfer case. Also, be sure you have checked all of the fuses first.