My son is being tested...

Scruit

My son is being tested. He doesn't know it yet.

He knows I am a gun owner, and he has been shooting with me on a few occasions. He also knows all my guns are stored in safes. He further knows that he can look at them whenever he wants by *ASKING ME*. Finally, he is under the most strict instruction that should he ever find a gun, anywhere, that he SHALL NOT TOUCH IT and go directly to the nearest adult who is in charge (mom/dad, friend's mom/dad if at friend's house, teacher etc) and report it.

So he is being tested. I took one of my rifles, rendered it safe (removed the bolt and magazine) and left it in a room that I know he will be in alone. I left a camera running pointed at it so I can show him touching it if he denies it.

Edited by Scruit

Why? If my parents would have done that stuff to me i would have hated it. Really , what happened to trust? You dont trust your son? You want video proof so if he denies it you can pin him to the wall? Not they way i would handle kids, but then again i never plan to have kids.

Just seems over the top to me. But you do video EVERYTHING.

• Upvote 1

I've done similar (not w guns) but only because he (my soon to be 18 y/o son) had proven time and time again that he couldn't be trusted. And it was about specific ongoing issues, not so much creating new ones.

From a gun safety issue I can maybe see justifying this. I don't know. I mean it's not like if he screws up "the first time" you can ground him. 1st screw up is potentially fatal. Tough call.

NoBama 2012

Why? If my parents would have done that stuff to me i would have hated it. Really , what happened to trust? You dont trust your son? You want video proof so if he denies it you can pin him to the wall? Not they way i would handle kids, but then again i never plan to have kids.

Just seems over the top to me. But you do video EVERYTHING.

That's why you don't understand.

Children are individual people with their own brains and thought processes. They constantly surprise you by doing things you don't expect.

I've done similar (not w guns) but only because he (my soon to be 18 y/o son) had proven time and time again that he couldn't be trusted. And it was about specific ongoing issues, not so much creating new ones.

From a gun safety issue I can maybe see justifying this. I don't know. I mean it's not like if he screws up "the first time" you can ground him. 1st screw up is potentially fatal. Tough call.

NoBama 2012

That's my thought pattern. He's 8, and at a VERY curious age. Even thought I keep my guns in a safe he may visit a friend's house who keeps them out in the open. I need to drill into his brain NOW the habits and behaviors that will keep him safe.

Same with him riding ont he back of the bike - he is being brainwashed ATGATT.

If I keep my guns sequestered off all the time then I will never know how he will react to finding one. I watched a report where older kids were given a gun safety class and the intructor "forgot" one of the guns. Parents got to see their kids lining up to pretend-shoot each other. Too late for those kids - Hollywood's portrayal of the "coolness" of guns got to them too soon and they couldn't help themselves. It's a mistake that some kids only make once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAh8sDrT8Y

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Boy_4_Finds_Gun_Shoots_Self_133464623.html

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-children-find-9mm-glock-and-accidentally-fire-it-20110324,0,6742024.story

I would never reveal the fact you video taped it even if he denies it. Just play the guilt trip thing on him. He'll figure out you didn't trust him to begin with.

Ya, results?

Edited by Gump

This kid is smarter than me.

I placed it in the corner of a room then asked him to clean that room. After 5 mins he left the room to take stuff upstairs and didn't mention the rifle so I thoguht he hadn't seen it. I moved it to another place in the room. 5 minutes later, when he left hte room again I moved it again. And then a third time.

Finally I went in there and asked him about the rifle.

He saw it as soon as he went into the room - and figured I did it on purpose. He didn't touch it. When I moved it closer to where he was working he knew I'd moved it and continue to ignore it. Each time I moved he he noticed and figured I was up to something. "I saw in int he corner, then I saw it move to the sofa, thent ot he floor, then on top of the papers you asked me to move..."

Says he didn't tell me because he knew I was doing something on purpose so I was already aware.

So test pass in that he didn't touch it, but fail in that he didn't tell me he found it. He got a polite reminder to report a found gun to the adult in charge...

"And I found the camera too..."

(Whoops!)

You need to reread your creeper handbook, scruit. Never let the camera be detected. All it takes is one little peek into the toilet to see just how big that chocoloate bar was to get your little internet biz shut down.

• Upvote 3

My son is being tested. He doesn't know it yet.

He knows I am a gun owner, and he has been shooting with me on a few occasions. He also knows all my guns are stored in safes. He further knows that he can look at them whenever he wants by *ASKING ME*. Finally, he is under the most strict instruction that should he ever find a gun, anywhere, that he SHALL NOT TOUCH IT and go directly to the nearest adult who is in charge (mom/dad, friend's mom/dad if at friend's house, teacher etc) and report it.

So he is being tested. I took one of my rifles, rendered it safe (removed the bolt and magazine) and left it in a room that I know he will be in alone. I left a camera running pointed at it so I can show him touching it if he denies it.

Good luck with this and hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the ass. My parents ran a few of these back in my youth and it caused more issues that it prevented. My parents had no reason not to trust me, they knew everything i did and then started listening to their friends. Needless to say my Junior and Senior years of HS i fucked with them every chance i got and started hiding things from them.