My son is being tested...

Scruit

I was not trying to criticize, hope my comments weren't misinterpreted. Sorry if they were. And I will say this. Every situation is different just like every kid is different. What style of parenting works best for one family might not work for the other. Conversely the type of gun safety you impress upon a child can also be done in differing ways. I performed this with my 2 boys by making them familiar with firearms, firearm safety and weapon familiarity. I also taught them hunter safety, respect and hunting consciousness and ethics. I did it the way I had been taught and tried to instill in them things I am seeing so many younger hunters today, failing to do.

Gun safety is very important but is only a tiny portion of the gun knowledge that needs to be instilled in our youngsters, imho. Parenting is 24/7 and the most important job a person can undertake. Lots of implications there and we never know how well we have done until our child becomes an adult.

He's soon going to be at an age where I'm going to trust him to have access to his own rifle. I have to know he can be trusted.

At least for me, this is a very strange definition of trust.

So what happens now that he's shown he can figure out at least one of your testing schemes? Personally, hearing that he did not touch the gun or report it because he knew you were testing him is unsettling. If your methods were working he should have responded "I did not touch it because it is unsafe to do so" or something along those lines, but instead he did not touch it simply because he knew you were testing him.

Originally Posted by Isaac's Papa

Pass, or no pass...all my guns are locked and out of Isaac's reach. Even his own rifle is off limits unless I go get it. I trust Isaac 100%. However, he's still only a child and prone to do childish things. The guns stay locked away, no matter how trustworthy I believe he is.

This is how I would handle the situation, instead of testing my own kid over and over and possibly messing up his understanding of how to trust other people. But to each his own, and only time can tell how your experiments on your child will work out.

I hope for your sake you review every minute of footage you get each day, because otherwise there are some wholly obvious ways your kid could get you into a lot of trouble should he decide being watched all the time is not appropriate. He's already proven himself to be quite clever.

If your methods were working he should have responded "I did not touch it because it is unsafe to do so" or something along those lines, but instead he did not touch it simply because he knew you were testing him.

this.

your test proved nothing. it only proved he is smart enough to not fall for your tricks. he obviously knew you were watching him, so of course he isnt going to handle the firearm. it proves nothing about what he will do when you actually arent around (at a friends house, school, whatever your other examples were)

on a side note - if you keep spying on your kid, once theyre a teenager you will have problems on your hands. if my parents spied on me and set up hidden cameras and shit all over, it would have been a miserable time at home for all involved, and i would have been out of the house as soon as i was able to (and i dont necessarily mean 18)

without trying to slam you or make jokes or anything, i seriously think you have a problem. if it was just this incident, sure, whatever...chalk it up to parenting methods. but you video tape and record every second of your life, and spying on your own family is just too far

• Upvote 1

A lot of you have one big misconception... You think I have a camera on my kid all the time? Is that wehere the creepy thing comes from?? No I don't, not at all. I only used the camera (my gopro) for this one test, so I could see if he touched the gun or not.

your test proved nothing. it only proved he is smart enough to not fall for your tricks. he obviously knew you were watching him, so of course he isnt going to handle the firearm.

Not how it worked out - he found the camera at the end.

without trying to slam you or make jokes or anything, i seriously think you have a problem. if it was just this incident, sure, whatever...chalk it up to parenting methods.

^^ THIS. I only filmed THIS ONE THING. Nothing else.

So enough of this gun child camera thing.. is the shower and bedroom recorded or not. We all wana know

Sorry, bub. No cameras installed inside the house. Everything is external, and faces only my own property.

It was amusing the day my neighbor came over begging for footage when his house was broken into. One week before that, he saw me putting up a camera on that side of the house and demanded it not show his property. Aboslutely his right, of course. I took him inside, printed out the CCTV display of all cameras right there and then and proved no cameras had ever showed his property. He was happy. Until he was broken into. Then I was the bad guy again because "You could have easily tilted that camera up and caught the burglar!!"

But trust and freedom has to be EARNED.

You have this attitude in common with the Department of Corrections. Don't worry though...I'm sure Hallmark will fit that into their next Father's Day card :sarcasm

In general, people that are severly non-trusting of other people are that way because, 1) they are severly untrurstworthy themselves and that shapes their view of other people, or 2) they have another underlying psychological issue that needs attention. This is not my opinion...anyone with a Psychology degree will tell you the same thing.

btw...this is me being friendly :notsarcasm.

Edited by Tpoppa

You have this attitude in common with the Department of Corrections. Don't worry though...I'm sure Hallmark will fit that into their next Father's Day card :sarcasm

In general, people that are severly non-trusting of other people are that way because, 1) they are severly untrurstworthy themselves and that shapes their view of other people, or 2) they have another underlying psychological issue that needs attention. This is not, my opinion...anyone with a Psychology degree will thell you the same thing.

I thought we were still being civil, Mr Blofeld.

I thought we were still being civil, Mr Blofeld.

We are. The 1st comment was directed that the post that I quoted.

For the 2nd comment, I chose my words carefully. I don't know you personally, so my opinion of you is only based on the handful of your posts that I have read. I say 'In general' (or could have said 'more often than not'). I have not me you, so I did not make a definitve statement.

As others have mentioned the camera posts come off as creepy. You not thinking they are creepy, makes them seem a little more creepy. Again, an opinion based on a small number of posts.

I'm assuming that by posting your experiment here in a public forum that you are at least open to, if not requesting the opinions of said public on your experiment. With that said...

To video a kid that has given you reason to have concern is one thing, but to video a kid that so far hasn't given you a reason to not trust them is a whole other thing.

From what you've described I would say that it would be very difficult for this kid to succeed in this situation. Hew knew he was being tested and above all other things he did the right thing: he didn't touch the gun. But yet he still got in trouble for a situation that you artificially created. Not sure if your expectations of the kid was fair. But I am certain the situation you created here was definitely not fair.

I hope that the cost of your "test" was worth the price. In your attempt to learn if you can trust your kid I fear the result is that your kid has learned that he can't trust you.

• Upvote 1

i'm assuming scruit posted this with some (if only small) measure of pride that his son performed admirably, and for showing some signs that is son may excel in the field of counter surveillance, and at the very least, ducking poop cams in seedy english bathrooms. i'm sure he didn't admonish his son too harshly for not telling him about the gun.

all in all, i saw this as a "proud dad" post.

it should also be known that any time there is an opportunity to post about secretly filming people pooping, i will do so. i think it's a little... "eccentric" that he films many of the things he drives, owns, lives in, but he clearly has motivation for keeping a high level of security... if it's for his son/family's safety, then so be it. it's not like he's filming me masturbate in the shower while singing Journey and crying uncontrollably.

that was an invitation.