New law will make secret compartments in cars a felony

Scruit

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/02/27/columbus-criminals-hiding-drugs-in-secret-compartments.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A state lawmaker proposed legislation to make it illegal to have secret compartments in cars,10TV’s AJ Smith reported on Monday.

If the bill passes, having a car with hidden compartments would be a fourth-degree felony.

If convicted, a person could spend up to 18 months in jail and owe a $5,000 fine.

This is ridiculous.

I've been trying to find a good discreet pistol safe for my car. I was thinking of installing it flush in a kick panel because I have space there. Weuld that be a felony now? I installed a screen in my dashboard. If i unclip the bezel there's a big space back there, like big enough for a double-DIN head unit. Guess that makes me a felon.

People hide drugs in their underpants. Are we going to make it a felony to have boxer shorts?? Jail time for y-fronts? Electric Chair for tighty-whities? :nono:

I used to keep a pistol under the cup holder compartment on the 04 silverado I had. Quick access and most people wouldn't think to pull the cup holder out to look for a gun. Hell I had a 5" 1911 and 2 or 3 50 rnd boxes of shells. :)

Scruit I thought you liked the European way, regulate everything. :dunno:

Right now they are saying non factory compartments will be illegal.

I'm hoping some sense is made before this goes law.

It stems from drug transport. But isn't transporting drugs already illegal?

Right now they are saying non factory compartments will be illegal.

I'm hoping some sense is made before this goes law.

It stems from drug transport. But isn't transporting drugs already illegal?

Exactly! Why make it "more" illegal? The bad guys rarely serve the full sentence anyway. Aren't the jails over crowded as it is?

So if I have a whole in the upholstery of my seat is that a "secret " non factory compartment? :dunno:

I can't remember exactly where but I think its some where in the title 21 of the U.S.C. that a vehicle or vessel that has been modified or manufactured for illegal smuggling can be seized by the federal government. Secret compartments are considered a modification for smuggling. So my point is its already illegal according to the feds.

No. MT transpoes In his Waaambulance. :D

So if I put a gun box under my seat or in my trunk that's illegal if this were to pass as is.

I had plans to mount a lock box on top of my spare tire. Guess I'll wait and see how this Bs turns out.

No. MT transpoes In his Waaambulance. :D

So if I put a gun box under my seat or in my trunk that's illegal if this were to pass as is.

I had plans to mount a lock box on top of my spare tire. Guess I'll wait and see how this Bs turns out.

One of my friends mounted a Microvault to the floor board, right in plain sight. Not secret, I would guess, but to put it under the seat would be? :dunno: How about using the cable lock for the microvault and tossing it under the seat?