Wax

Monstrosity

I'm curious to see what everyone uses wax wise on both bikes and cars? More importantly I'm looking for spray wax opinions. I've been detailing cars/bikes on the side for a long time and a few guys have asked me for a cheap package for their daily drivers. I have access to a lot of different products where I work.

So for traditional waxes here are my personal top 3.

Best all around:

http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=88

Best for show car/bike:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-28-adams-buttery-car-wax.aspx

Best for longevity:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05550-05750.html

I'm a big Meguiar's fan. For a high gloss finish I like thier NXT Generation tech wax 2.0. I like the paste wax. Incredible stuff. If I am doing a touch up, I like the Ultimate quik detailer. Then if I am just doing a quick once over, I really like "Original" Spray and Polish. It does a great job on just about anything on the bike. Spray wax? Not much of a fan of that except that I like to use the Meguiars Quik Wax for kind of a base while drying the wet car or bike. It makes it easy to then apply the final wax I want to go with on top of that.

Edited by mello dude

wax? whats that ?..lol..i dont think ive waxed a car or bike in 15 years..im a firm believer in that keeping them clean is the key, with todays high end finishes i think waxing is a waste of time

:eek: I'd be afraid to feel your paint then. Would probably make me queasy with how rough it would feel. I used to detail cars on the side back in high school and college so I learned how to be very picky with the look and feel of paint in my vehicles

Paint and clearcoat quality has actually diminished in many manufacturers in the last 10 years

for a wax, any carnuba wax is going to do the same....i use meguiars gold....once a month wax it, and then wipe it down and polish once a week or more depending how often you ride

and honda polish is the ONLY polish to use (i use Zymol for cars because theres so much more to polish, but for bikes the honda polish is amazing)

its called bike spirits now though

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Spray-Cleaner-Polish-Bike-Spirits__08C25-P011M-NXTGEN.aspx

Edited by Steve Butters

Thanks guys for all the input.

I just gave a guys car a quick detail. I used Mothers Showtime spray wax. Very easy, smelled great, and was done in like 15 minutes. I told the guy to give me some feedback as to how long it lasts. This morning I also picked up some Flitz Carnuba spray wax, and turtle Wax Ice spray wax. When I gave the guy the option he liked the smell of the Mothers best. Smells like cinnamon. Since I just did my daily driver yesterday here in two weeks I will try one of the others if I havent used them by then.

As far as the Honda Polish goes, my dad swears by that stuff! He's used it for years and when they went to discontinue it he bought two cases of it. Last year I bought him the replacement and he claims its not the same...

^^^^^

A while back, California gave Honda a lot of crap about some VOCs or something close in the Honda Polish that was being sold. CA threatened a ban if Honda didnt change the formula. Being a super popular product, Honda didnt want that, so they came up with a new formula and then sourced it to a new manufacturer, thus hosing the people in Marietta Georgia who make the original formula stuff. So what doe the Marietta group do? Stick thier own label on it of course. "Original" Spray Cleaner and Polish.

I tryed the "new" Honda stuff when it came out and didnt like it as much. The "Original"? Same as the 1st formula Honda Polish, because the same people have been making it since the beginning. Same cleaning power, same shine, same smell, because it is the same.

Current Honda Polish, NO! ---- Original Polish, YES!

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/SprayCleaner_Polish/

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Super%20Hard%20Shell%20Paste%20Wax-42-45.aspx

I use this on my car and it works great. I tried using it on the bike and had completely different results. After waxing off thoroughly and riding it I could see the white paste on the paint and just ended up using wax remover to get rid of it. I'm going to stop today and see if I can find something better for the bike. Is there a difference in paint between a car and a bike?

I also highly suggest Zymol if you can find it. One of the better OTC waxes I've used over the years

+1 on the Zymol. I have no idea where to get it, but when I was still in the body shop, it was amazing!

Since this just came to life again, I tried the Meguiars Ultimate last night on fiance's 2012 Escape since I wanted to wash it and see what it looked like with a hand wash and wax not just the dealer BS. Anyways, I did the whole care in under 1 hr waxing it by hand, even though I own an orbital. This stuff is amazing to remove, I only used 5 microfiber clothes on the whole car. It includes a huge microfiber that could probably do a car itself which is what they say is key.

When it all comes down to it, wax all goes on the same, its the removing that's key. The car is Suede White/Pearl White, and I didn't notice any swirls or anything.

Application:Normal, first wax so no cleaner or clay bar was needed

Removal: Quickest ever, like I said, 5 towels was all I needed, 1 was about the size of 2 normal towels but anyways

Shine: Up there, maybe not as good as my NXT or Eagle One Tech Wax, but definitely solid. I read NXT is best for removing swirls actually vs Ultimate, but being brand new I dont care.

Durability; TBD

Stuff is PRICEY though so it better last.