dan moto rearsets.

serpentracer

these caught my eye on my spending spree on ebay a few weeks ago. so I looked at their website, http://www.dan-moto.com/DM_US/ and thought their rearsets look 1/2 way ok for $166 shipped.

so here's my review,

first bare with me I'm not that great of a story teller. lol

6960509247_764575411b_z.jpg

6814395002_1c3e0b4d79_z.jpg

ok first let me start out by saying I'm ok with them. I ran into a few issues though. but these could be just all my fault.

I started out by installing the brake side. everything was bolting up perfectly. until I got to the brake light switch. ok, now these come with a switch holder and a hole drilled in the bracket for the brake. but I think they put the hole up too high. now this can just be my bike here, but since the hole was up so high, my stock spring for the switch was too short. now the factory has a plastic nut thing that you can adjust it. but it doesn't snap into the new bracket completely like it does the stock bracket. so you have to tighten that nut all the way up to the bottom of the switch to hold it tight in the bracket. but in doing so it makes the spring too short to reach the lever hole they put in it for you. now you can do a few things to make it work. I thought about using the stock bracket instead but it's not bent at a 90 degree angle like the new one. so it make the switch hit the back of the rearset. and it would need bent to a 90 to work. but will work..

another thing you could do is get a longer spring. but who wants to drive all over town to find one..not me. so I tried to pull the spring apart just a little but it gave too much. now I had to put a new end on it. but at least I was able to get it at the right length.

so it's not a huge deal. being the brake light switch and all. and it's probably a issue with any aftermarket rearsets. and I guess the 3rd thing you could do is drill a new hole lower than the one they drilled. you also have to reuse your stock brake pin and cotter pin. so don't loose them.

ok on to the shifter side. this is where things slowed down and I had to scratch my head a few times. since the instructions are not written very well. (just simple unbolt this and put this on kind of instructions) I had to think about how to adjust the rod to get it to work in the frame hole. first of all, I think there is a slight oversight of the design of the lever pivot. as you can see in the pic above.. what it does is put the shift lever tube at too much of an arc in the travel and it hits the top of the hole and the bottom of the hole at full kick to get it into gear up and down. I mean it's right down to the mm of working. and this is where I spend the better part of a few hours bolting it together and pulling apart, adjusting the rod and positioning the part on the trans.

now I guess it's all my fault but I think if they made the pivot part a little bit different it would work much better. you really have to get it just right for it to work.

also the pivot of the shifter pushes against the chain guard. if you took yours off, no big deal. but it scrapes mine.

ok my thoughts..

they seem pretty well made for $166 shipped. I am very pleased with the build of them except for one thing...they used a really soft piece of alum for a spacer behind the footpegs against the bearings. I seen a gap between the head of the bolt and the bracket on the back. so being me I grabbed the socket and wratchet and tightened that sucker down. but I noticed the pivot action was hard. fuck....I took it back apart and it smashed the spacer. if you get a set DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE FOOT PEGS!. it's completly my fault. but they should have a harder spacer if you ask me. I can get something to work in there. so I'm not that upset about it. and it was my fault.

the other thing I'm a little worried about is the bolt length into the footpegs. it only goes in maybe 5/8 of an inch. they drilled the peg out really deep. why they didn't use a longer bolt I don't know.

I did step up on one side and it does move a bit. probably about the same as a stock set does though. I'm not sure I'd want to stand on them too much. but I am 230 lbs.

the carbon fiber heal guards are incredibly strong. I can't even bend them with my hands. I thought for sure they'd be flimsy and cheap but they're top notch stuff.

so in conclusion, they seem made decent. the fit was perfect. (we'll see in a month or two how they work out riding) they are a bitch to install on the shifter side. so be prepared to be annoyed. the brake side might need some ingenuity for the spring length of the brake light switch. (again this might just be mine)

blue loctite everything and don't go nuts on the torque of the bolts.

so would I recommend these? yes but I'd rather wait and give that out after I get to ride with them and they've been on the bike for a summer. but out of the box I think they're well worth the $166 price tag.

first ride. they feel great under my feet. shifting is nice and smooth. better than the stock ones for sure. I guess that's the bearings.

Seem to be of decent quality, probably much better after some fine-tuned refinement like you've done......post up some early season results as I'm interested in a set for mine, just cant justify the $350 or more for the GOOD ones:D

I went on a ride with them yesterday and they feel great under my feet. the two issues I had were probably just issues that will exist on my bike only. I totally missed the part on their site that says I will have to modify the spring for the brake light. something people are telling me is normal for aftermarket rearsets. and most rearsets do not include a mount for it or a place to hook the spring to like these do.

I did some more standing on them and they flex but not terrible. no more than the stock one did. and nothing came loose. (blue loctite every bolt)

• 2 weeks later...