TIres for my FZ-1: Dunlop or Michelins

accel_is_my_drug

OK, my last thread about tires turned into people on goldwings putting car tires on the back of their bikes. Seriously, WTF?????

So I will try again:

I have a 2006 FZ-1. I average about 350 to 400 miles a week if the weather is perfect during summer. 3/5ths of that mileage is upright on hwy 33, the remainder is back roads and weekend trips to more fun roads. Most of my riding mates are on pure sportbikes, so I would like a tire that will allow me to keep up on those weekend trips to 555 or hocking hills. I'd love to find a tire that is NOT worn down to the cords by fall.

I am considering either the Dunlop Road Smarts (rev 1 or 2) or the Michelin Pilot roads (1 or 2).

I hated the last set of Bridgestones on my bike, I didn't think they wore very evenly, and didn't feel that great, although they came on the bike when I picked it up and were nearly done for already. If someone has super awesome reviews, I would maybe consider them again.

I loved the set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2s I had on my VFR 750.. Those tires and that bike were my first real long knee down corner experience. (I should have never sold it.) I loved how quick they got warm, and never once felt greasy to me towards the end of a longer ride. But they didn't seem to last very long before the rear was squared off. I'd happliy ride dunlops again based mostly on the previous experience with the brand.

The Michelins, seem to have awesome reviews, but I have never actually rode them.

Any tips, or recommendations?

I've heard great things about the PR2's as well, and I'm sure either they or the Dunlops would be quite good.

As for the Bridgestones, the BT-020's (especially the OE versions) had some pretty definite wear problems, especially with cupping on the fronts after some mileage. The newer BT-021's and BT-023's are much better, and the last 2 sets of BT-021's I had on my FZ1 had no issues with rapid or strange wear.

I've always liked my Bridgestones, although I might be a bit biased...

Edited by Hailwood

I've had great results from Dunlop, their basically all I've run on and offroad. Bought bikes with Michelins or Bridgestones but never bought other than Dunlop tires for my bikes. They're just as competent as most any of the big tire companies, model vs model - Not saying anything negative about others choices either, just never strayed personally. There's gotta be other brand biased folks here, right? Let me finish with Dunlop Roadsmarts on any bike would be my choice for durability, and cornering confidence.....but this is a "streetbike review" not tried a trackday with these so I cant attest to how well they heat and holdup

WHy avoid the PR1's?

Ok - I admit its hearsay, but in my VFR forum where guys crank out a ton of miles a season, the general consensus is that the PR1s werent all that good. Feedback for the PR2s is very positive and simular with the RoadSmarts.

I'm running a RoadSmart on the rear of my viffer and a Pilot Power on the front. Cost no object I would run sport tires 100% of the time. But I got damn tired (pun?) of replacing rear tires every 3000 to 3500 miles. I like the RS so far, I hope the mileage goes much longer than a sport tire.

- I stuck the PP on the front mostly because I needed a tire and I got a crazy cheap deal on it, something like 80 bucks at the time. Quality and cheap gets my attention. I havent noticed really anything negative from the combination.

Ohhh... 98 VFR... Still has gear driven cams, but now with FI and no silly VTEC. I looked so freaking hard to replace my 97 with a 98 it physically hurt!

I think I am leaning towards the dunlops just as I have had such awesome experience with dunlops in the past..

On my first gen FZ1 I put on a set of PR2's. They have about 7000 miles on them if I remember right. A bunch of trips back and forth from Cleveland to Deal's Gap, tons of miles down there. Bike was fully loaded for a weeks worth of stuff. Back road miles around Ohio as well.

The wear is fantastic. There is no flat spotting on them right now, I abuse the crap out of them in the corners and a straight line and they take everything I can throw at them. They are the best tires in the rain I've had.

I will not run another set of sport touring. Worth every penny.