Shinko 705 tire

buildit

Well, my first Shinko 705 was a good tire for grip and ride but today it lost some of my positive appeal when I noticed it was coming apart after 3000 miles. Now I know I treat my bikes a little rough but this was a shock. :eek:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-CCfFEv08

Dude, it's a V-strom not a sport bike that does 130+ mph. ;)

The fact that you apparently do some off road riding, why would you risk shit tires on something you are riding in conditions like that?

Just because it isn't a sportbike, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy good quality... So, because an MX bike or woods bike doesn't go 130 mph, they don't deserve good tires? :nono:

Shinkos... What's the old saying? "You get what you..."

I use them because Death wings are shit for handling, Tourances cup like crazy and annakees suck on gravel. The Shinkos are the BEST for paved and unpaved surfaces but now I know the actual tire life is much shorter than the tread life.

The fact that you apparently do some off road riding, why would you risk shit tires on something you are riding in conditions like that?

Just because it isn't a sportbike, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy good quality... So, because an MX bike or woods bike doesn't go 130 mph, they don't deserve good tires? :nono:

Shinkos... What's the old saying? "You get what you..."

I use them because Death wings are shit for handling, Tourances cup like crazy and annakees suck on gravel. The Shinkos are the BEST for paved and unpaved surfaces but now I know the actual tire life is much shorter than the tread life.

I'd say something to oppose that idea. We've run Pirellis on the Adventure at speeds and on terrain that would make you wet your pants. They gummed up a tad, but overall, held up really well... We also have tried the Michelins and they are just as awesome...

Plus, off road in a true adventure style off road environment, they are amazing. And, when used in single track situations, worked great...

Dunno, but I would definitely would try a set of Shinkos if you bought them and mounted them and then removed and replaced. I'd give you some feedback, but honestly, they wouldn't get anywhere near my bike unless I am testing a set that was full on free and no labor to do it... Otherwise, a ton better options...

Dunno, but I would definitely would try a set of Shinkos if you bought them and mounted them and then removed and replaced. I'd give you some feedback, but honestly, they wouldn't get anywhere near my bike unless I am testing a set that was full on free and no labor to do it... Otherwise, a ton better options...

I think that's a bit dramatic; I would run them if I had to mount ;). I got a Shinko advanced 005 rear with my R1 and it would have been alright for just commuting and such (although I don't know what the mileage life is) but it was pretty bad otherwise. It seemed really stiff as turn it was bad, rear traction would break at any hint of throttle in a lean and it seemed impossible to warm them up enough. I immediately unmounted and sold it and wouldn't willingly buy another set. For off-road and such I really don't know how they stack up

Well sure, I get them for free, should I fill up your gas tank too. :rolleyes::lol:

Well, the 950 is a totally different beast than the DL1000. I've tested both. :D As for death wings, I know where there are lots of them for free on the BMW sites. Anyone a little aggressive soon finds them to be a scary on pavement in the corners.

When I got the 950 SE it had Scorpions on it and I hated them. It now has Shinko 244's. They are a great mix on the rear for 50/50 riding. I did have S-12's and they were wicked on trails in the deepest mud but horrible on the road.

So am I a hater? Maybe, I just know what type of feel I like and don't like on the bike. When this 705 falls off, I may try a gripster. :confused: I had one on the KLR when it was new and it was good on the road and in gravel, it also went forever so it might be the better tire. We shall see. :cool:

Well sure, I get them for free, should I fill up your gas tank too. :rolleyes::lol:

Well, the 950 is a totally different beast than the DL1000. I've tested both. :D As for death wings, I know where there are lots of them for free on the BMW sites. Anyone a little aggressive soon finds them to be a scary on pavement in the corners.

When I got the 950 SE it had Scorpions on it and I hated them. It now has Shinko 244's. They are a great mix on the rear for 50/50 riding. I did have S-12's and they were wicked on trails in the deepest mud but horrible on the road.

So am I a hater? Maybe, I just know what type of feel I like and don't like on the bike. When this 705 falls off, I may try a gripster. :confused: I had one on the KLR when it was new and it was good on the road and in gravel, it also went forever so it might be the better tire. We shall see. :cool:

I know you have an opinion. But, it reads like you are saying the tires other than Shitgos are all junk and shit based on what you've ridden. The 950 is a porkly beast. Not a street bike really, either...

Trust me when I am being as polite as possible - the tires we have run on the Adventure in the different environments at the pace we were running, the Shinko would have died quickly from what you are showing... That ain't a good tire.

The Pirellis we run on the Adventure while not a sportbike tire, handles pavement rather well and provides good feedback. It balled up a bit as we were very aggressive, but it wasn't doing what you are having with the Shinko...

Bottom line is that you can say you don't like the feeling it provides to you or say that it doesn't suit your needs or what you want out of a tire. The minute you start saying they are shit is the minute I call BS and say what we have done to the tires, you aren't doing to them and they held up fine. Not exactly shit...

I'd say something to oppose that idea. We've run Pirellis on the Adventure at speeds and on terrain that would make you wet your pants. They gummed up a tad, but overall, held up really well... We also have tried the Michelins and they are just as awesome...

Plus, off road in a true adventure style off road environment, they are amazing. And, when used in single track situations, worked great...

you like living on the edge don't ya...:D

Bottom line is that you can say you don't like the feeling it provides to you or say that it doesn't suit your needs or what you want out of a tire. The minute you start saying they are shit is the minute I call BS and say what we have done to the tires, you aren't doing to them and they held up fine. Not exactly shit...

Well, as for how aggressive I get on the V-strom with the Shinko There's video. :D But enough of the what oil do you like talk. ;)

A knowledgeable tire guy on ADV pointed out Shinko has redesigned these tires since I bought the one I just took off. I am trying to learn the difference but the tire was "bias based"? Hope I'm saying that right. The new one on the bike is radial supposedly with side 2 nylon and thread 3+1 ARAMID. So I'll see if it has the same issue.

If it does I will try to find a tire that has the same handling and traction as the E-705 on and off road. In the mean time if you're riding behind me let me know if the rear tire starts getting bigger. :lol:

Update:

Spoke with Shinko USA. They advised me that the bias ply tires are prone to this issue and if it occurs to contact the dealer it was purchased from. You should expect to receive a full refund. They HAVE had this happen with bikes smaller than the V-strom but it is mostly a big bike issue. Proper tire inflation is important to avoid issues! The New radial E-705 has radial on the side wall so 3 nylon and 3+1 nylon tread are both bais ply tires. The new E705 radial was produced because of this issue and they want to know if anyone continues to have this problem with the NEW RADIAL version. Thanks, Buildit