Rider Mistakes and Lessons Learned

abdecal

Okay. Updated my original post in case you wanted to sticky this. Could you guys review it, let me know if I missed anything and let me know the things that should be in bold?

Nice job abdecal!Now if the admins will make your list a sticky it will be a good place for new riders to get some helpful info.:bow:

-Don't tailgate. Just because the car in front of you didn't swerve, doens't mean there's no obstruction

This one saved me today. A car straddled something dead in the road and I was far enough back that I had plenty of time to avoid it.

Also the car that was in front of me was halfway across the yellow line for a mile or so. Glad I was behind him and not on the left side of the lane coming the other way. lol

I really wish I had someone to ride with. A little nerve wracking (but a hell of a lot of fun) being a n00b taking a long ride somewhere. PM me your numbers if you live around Dayton or Cincy!!

I'll give you 2 more to think about. One of the most dangerous situations is when people are turning left - either dont see you coming into the intersection or dont see you coming throught their blind spot.

Here's my one major effe up -- I was turning left in a major intersection - 2 lanes each way plus turn lanes. I got thru my turn into the left lane and seeing a clear shot and no traffic ahead, I whacked the throttle wide open. Just at that moment a pickup truck in the right lane, abruptly turns into the left lane and I smacked the left front fender of the truck and did a somersault over the hood. I was ATGATT, so I ended up with just a few bruises, I was fine. --- So what happened? Well the truck driver was cited but in reality it was my dumbass fool for zipping passed his blindspot. If I was just a bit more aware and carefull, I could have avoided a totaled bike. -- Watch for slow pickup trucks and know what they are doing before you make a move.

Story 2. -- My buddy and I were headed for the dragon and moving south on the Tenessee 129 side at about a 60ish clip. My buddy Dean is in the lead on his ZX6R and me on the viffer. We come up on a slow pick up truck maybe doing 20. Dean being the impatient fool decides he's gonna whack the throttle and pass the truck on the left. (Its a 2 lane state route) Well I've seen this video before. I remember yelling in my helmut, no Dean no!. Truck turns left, Dean smacks rear quarter panel. Dean goes to hospital, bike totaled. -- So what happened? Dean to this day still blames the truck driver, yeah there wasnt a signal. But if Dean had just taken a moment and asked "what is this guy doing?" - We would have been able to hit the dragon happiliy for a good day. Instead I got to check Dean in the hospital, babysit his wrecked bike to a dealer. And never did hit Dragon. Dean was saying "you should go.." - but I had this ever repeating slow motion video in my head of Dean smacking that truck. Like I'm gonna go burn twists with that bouncing around in my head. Trip hosed.

-- Watch for slow pickup trucks and know what they are doing before you make a move.

Edited by mello dude

Caging my way to work this morning I saw a new rider on intersection of Cin-day/West chester rd. Brand spankin new 650r, the rear wasn't even scuffed (still had the paint stripe). Left turn lane.. This person stalled it when the green arrow lit, found the starter pretty quick but was too flustered to make the turn fully, ended up coasting to the median playing with the throttle and clutch.

I was stressed out just watching since I'm new too, the feeling is still very fresh. However there is a time and a place to learn the basics.. public roads at rush hour is neither of those.

Edited by DrewsBrews

I think one thing for new riders to remember is that you can't not pay attention to what you are doing when riding. Driving a cage you can basically pay little to no attention to the act of driving. Riding you have to be vigilant at all times to everything.

When I highsided a few years ago it was brought on by me not fully paying attention to riding. Stupidly, I was looking a the very nice country side...not the 10mph 90 right turn on the 55mph road. NOT METALLY IN IT...not a good idea.

I think one thing for new riders to remember is that you can't not pay attention to what you are doing when riding. Driving a cage you can basically pay little to no attention to the act of driving. Riding you have to be vigilant at all times to everything.

When I highsided a few years ago it was brought on by me not fully paying attention to riding. Stupidly, I was looking a the very nice country side...not the 10mph 90 right turn on the 55mph road. NOT METALLY IN IT...not a good idea.

I've almost rear-end a car on my bike doing probaly the samething. Long boring country road just cruising along. I just zoned out i guess then next thing i know im about to slam the car infront that was turning into a driveway. I dont even remember seeing them slow down. Kinda like when your driving a car "daydreaming/auto-pilot" i suppose and sorta snap out of it. Then your like i dont remember driving that last mile or so. So ya...gotta stay mentally in the game on the bike.

A few things I didn't see yet was.

Leave it in gear at a stop. You don't want to grab the clutch and fumble for 1st. When sitting and the guy behind you isn't stopping.

If going on a group ride find out what is expected. And let it be known what you expect. Even if its only one other guy. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Practice your panic stops at the beginning of every season.

New found confidence may bite you in the ass. (Read this statement at the end of the season).

bingo! This is exactly why I cannot slab it. I have ADD and it just gets worse on long straight stretches

A few things I didn't see yet was.

Leave it in gear at a stop. You don't want to grab the clutch and fumble for 1st. When sitting and the guy behind you isn't stopping.

If going on a group ride find out what is expected. And let it be known what you expect. Even if its only one other guy. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Practice your panic stops at the beginning of every season.

New found confidence may bite you in the ass. (Read this statement at the end of the season).

Added. And knowledge digested :)

Deer are BAD! Be extra cautious at dusk/dawn, near planted fields, near dear crossing signs...and on Hilltop Road(ask me how I know)

Watch for exit ramps to be covered in gravel/chip in the Dayton area.

Don't expect anyone to understand how a "roundabout" intersection works in Ohio.

How about pulling into a parking space next to a convertible full of cute girls, and being so distracted you forget to put the kickstand down...

Are we talking cute by british standards or by american standards? Because there is a big difference.

• Upvote 1