Experience w/ Midwest Cafe Racing Association

ohdaho

Let me first start off by saying I'll never do another track day with MCRA. Im not sure how they run their races, so I cant speak to that. The rest of this review is from my perspective of the day in Novice.

If you're absolutely new to the track, this is not a conducive environment if youre a track virgin or new to track days. The morning meetings and registration seemed kind of disorganized. Confusion on who was meeting when and where. Due to the sheer volume of people (they said about 50 riders per session), there was a long ass line at tech to which point it ran into the morning meeting so guys were told to go back to their tents to make the meeting and then come back. This may have been attributed to the fact some guys couldnt hear the announcements that were located farther back on the second row of or tents off in the gravel...god damn gravel.

This is what really made me concerned...No class time/instruction AT ALL for novice folks. This was the first track day for several folks. I guess I was spoiled by Motoseries and STT by having clear instructions every single time we had a session on the track. Those sessions had a very clear training objective, therefore you were always learning something new...all else it was a great way of learning the track and raceline. With MCRA, NADA. Just not conducive to a newb IMO. This was a concern I shared earlier in the thread, and agreed w/ Motoseries and STT that the control riders were always great to get some wisdom and knowledge from. At MCRA, twistedrabbit's wife put it best....the CRs were for the most part there for their own riding agenda. Thanks to Craig, Allen and TR's wife for hooking us up with Andy's dad. Tim (my friend) wasnt enjoying himself too much until Dave gave him a tow and gave him some direction/advice. It's not like the MCRA CRs were unavailable...it was just difficult at times to grab one and pull him aside. I did see some of them helping other folks. Again, maybe a problem with the sheer number of riders.

Another direction/guidance issue, fucking passing in the novice class. Did I tell yall they put the Race School in the Novice class? Im not sure if this is a common thing...it sure as hell wasnt with Motoseries and STT. Im comfortable with Putnam as Ive ridden it before and dont mind being passed or passing. But if the rules for Novice say no passing on turns, only on straights then thats what I expect. Those rules went out the window the second session. I was being passed by guys maybe 3 ft away from me on the inside and outside of turns. Im ok with it and it doesnt spook me...but fuck there are trackday newbs...is this really a smart thing?! It just wasnt the race school folks.

It may have been a combination of the ass-cold weather and poor organization, but the morning wasnt really enjoyable for me. There were too many people in Novice. There was traffic the entire length of the track no matter how far I moved up or dropped back. There were multiple times I said fuck it and went into hot pit rd to let traffic pass. The morning temps in the 40s combined with the traffic preventing me to get up to speed to really warm up my tires meant things got slippery in the turns for me...esp the bus stop. It was clearly evident that guys had taken T7 hot and gotten into the mud...which was on the track the rest of the day.

The sessions in the morning seemed short...i know there was one that ended up being close to 10 minutes. Though we did get some extended afternoon sessions.

It was great to meet TR's wife (sorry Im really bad with names), craig and Allen again. Thanks for the advice and words to Tim...He's not turned off from trackdays, but definitely didnt get the itch that many of us got. He will do another day this season, and we will be at a Motoseries event...Hopefully putnam again. Mad props to Dubguy/Andy's dad...if yall see him make sure to thank him. He really made it enjoyable for my friend.

I hope they choke on the coin they made for over selling the event. Boys sure do have a strong following to pull all those people up from St. Lous area just so they could park their frickin RV-sized trailers horizontal and take up all the space.

Anyone get caught up in that 4-5 bike smash-a-roo in T4 the first session of I?

Morning sucked and I was having all kinds of fits. New tire on the rear was squirming all over the place for the first two sessions and front decided to start trying to slide out on the left handers and some of the right (T2 & T7) all morning. (yes, I let air out and put air in - Dunlop Q2s) Perfect when half of the 100 guys in I were on warmers and slicks.

Well, I finally managed to get the tires heated up (braking a lot harder, riding harder helped), scuffed in and paid a visit to the suspension guys around 2pm. Weather, track and bike all came together for the last two sessions.

Granted I was playing in the slow end of the grid, I did start to catch and pass some of the slower guys out there. I found a new line through T8 and I am came away pretty pleased.

I went looking for tags but couldn't find you all, though I am sure everyone got a good look at my bike with me riding down the middle of the front straight. Only one with white urinal cakes for sliders.

Now, here is where I can use some help and I am going to make another post. I need springs for my forks and rear shock. Dbl-Bonus, my newly rebuilt Penske shock is still leaking fluid.

In the Dayton-Cinci-Columus area, where can I take my bike and have springs put into the stock Ducati forks, re-build and spring my rear shock???

I do not have the time, place or equipment to take all that stuff off and send it but I can bring my bike to someone and leave it with them.

Edited by Revelstoker
  • Upvote 1

Want spring rate do you need for your rear penske? Ive got an extra an extra 525. I would send in the forks and shock to reuben at 35 motorsports in Indy. Not many people are going to tell you any differently.

I don't know - #1 issue. I am not sure what model Penske shock I have but I am 200lbs naked. Website http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle-Spring_Chart.php says 550.

I don't have bike stands or even exposed rafters to lift the bike up. I might be able to pull the shock off but no-go on the forks.

Who is this Rueben in Indy (checking website)? I have to pass through Indy on the 4th and coming back on the late on the 6th but I doubt a Saturday is enough time to get the work done.

I so need a garage that doesn't look like a storage unit and a job that consumes less than 60hrs a week.

Edited by Revelstoker

I think there are some inherent pit-falls of doing track days with RACING organizations. One is the fact that there is no such thing as "selling out" a race, and as a result, they will "over-book" the practice day to accommodate all of their race customers. MotoSeries has avoided that as far as I know, but I think they'd consider themselves lucky to be worrying about over-booking...

Your complaints are 100% valid, so that is by no means an excuse, but I think it's probably the explanation.

Running a race school in Novice would be fine if all of the students were novices; but track days have made it so that the majority of new racers are at a quicker pace.

My friend Jeff may have been one of those guys in the race school. He won the "sportsman" race in his first ever race yesterday.

But like I said, the MCRA is a RACING org, so their primary concern isn't catering to the first-time track day rider.

I hope your friend doesn't come away with too much of a bad taste. I know there are some MAJOR draw-backs to the "go ride, and then we'll see where you need help" method (I was nearly in tears after 2 sessions in NESBA's "B" group my first time on track), but eventually, the lack of restrictions seems to be what people are begging for. Eventually. Not right away.

Come play at some MotoSeries events though. They put on a good show for all skill levels.

A level was fine .finish the day with second place in sportsman race,can't complaint.

"A" is almost always fine, because the range of skill should be tightest, and everyone ought to know what they're doing...

My buddy Jeff was on the green/black spotted "cow"-asaki ZX-6. He crashed out of his second race.

There was a green ZX-10 taking the race clinic stuck in novice all day. We clocked him at a 1:17 in the mock race.

is that fast? I know it's not a novice time, but I seem to remember being in the 1:19 range before lunch on my first trip to Putnam. It might even have been a damp track...

But like I said, the MCRA is a RACING org, so their primary concern isn't catering to the first-time track day rider.

Come play at some MotoSeries events though. They put on a good show for all skill levels.

Thats what I would think...but they seem to try to cater with this whole "Test the Track" group.

Mos def will be doing track days with Motoseries and Putnam from now on...in this area anyways.

I was one in 4, hit oil that was on the track and the beset stopped the session. When you black flag a guy for dumping oil you should stop the session. What a horrid event. I have never seen such a cluster of a weekend.

You crashed in that oil?

Yup, I figured it out once those "control riders" were chiming in on the forums trying to tell everyone about their system.

I think the biggest issue is the fact that they oversold everything and had no clue as to how to handle it all...

Thats what I would think...but they seem to try to cater with this whole "Test the Track" group.

I felt sorry for the Test the Track guy that went down on the first session. Older gent and I meant to go over and have a chat but I spent most of the morning in the van getting warm and dinking with tire pressures.

I have racing license for this year.i did end of last year race school,so i can ride in A with MCRA,yesterday was my first race .

But, I thought the races were the GT based classes for licensed road racers... You ran the sportsman race that is designed for those that want to try competing, but not against licensed racers as they may feel uneasy being dumped in with them. So, you technically ran the wrong race...

That's why I was confused because that race wasn't to be for guys with race licenses...

Dude, under 25s is A pace.

then maybe it was 29's and not 19's. :D

I just remember Kaleb DeKeyrel being there on a 125 or a 250 GP bike, and I thought he and I were both doing 21's early in the day, but I grew some balls and picked it up to 19's before lunch, and was hoping for 17's after lunch.

I may be way off base though. I figured race-winners would be in the 1:12 range there.

Sportsman class are for people who pass racing school and never race before.i have racing license with MCRA, and I need first finish 2 weekends so I can have racing license with Wera .for now I' am provisional novice.so give me little bit credit.because I have lot more track time then other guys don't mean I can't race same races.you lot faster then me and I'm not complaining we probably going race same race at vintage days at midohio.

Sportsman class are for people who pass racing school and never race before.i have racing license with MCRA, and I need first finish 2 weekends so I can have racing license with Wera .for now I' am provisional novice.so give me little bit credit.because I have lot more track time then other guys don't mean I can't race same races.you lot faster then me and I'm not complaining we probably going race same race at vintage days at midohio.

I'm not being mean, dude... I am just saying that I don't know how you are going to get credit for a race with WERA. They require you to have raced at least two official races in a recognized series. The sportsman race is not licensed racers and therefore, not the same as if you went to WERA and ran two events races...

If by "we will probably race the same race", you must mean the MTT and Stars HW races at Vintage weekend? You might want to check and verify that you will be allowed to race that race... I am not sure that provisional racers are allowed at that event..

Ah, so THAT's how Jeff won right away.

He has a TON of laps in at Putnam...

Who is Jeff?

As for times, I would think 13s-14s is possible for a win at that event. Probably slower really... I'd like to know what Dave was running to beat Ricky. I know when we were all there for the RRGC, Ricky and Lewis were in the 10s. Gene and I were in the 11s and Dave was in the 12s.

I'd think that with the weather, the few racers that were there, 15s probably would get you a podium...