Experience w/ Midwest Cafe Racing Association

ohdaho

Well after watching some videos to figure some things out, all I figured out is

1. Looks like everyone is turning in early (not sure if it's just how the track runs)

2. people can't hit a damn apex

3. I see nothing for brake markers

:wtf:

Craig-

You'll be shocked at how many guys blow the lines at Putnam. Watch and grab a guy that is there that knows the lines. Everyone usually downshifts too many gears for one, they also brake too much. Then, a lot of guys screw up the in between 1 and 2 and lose corner speed through 2-3 and setting up for 4.

The bus stop is easy and really, almost any line works there. It is about carrying speed and getting on the gas as soon as you can and setting up for dead bear.

EVeryone really carries the same speed through dead bear, but the exit and in between there and 9 is where there are differences. Not to mention the 9-10 combo. A LOT MORE SPEED can be had there...

Watch this video for the fast lines. Ignore the really good looking guy on the Suzuki and the fast dude on the BMW as Ricky shows us that an R6 is really fast if in the right hands. Ricky is amazing and Jake was also. Those two were in a league of their own...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/yP1JeyO4s6A

But, the idea is to watch the lines. Ricky's lines are somewhat erratic, but it is due to trying hard to get around us quickly to set the pace. Which he did... Bastard... :D

there are no brake markers... and i will show you how to ride yout track.. i mean the track no no.... i mean your track hahahhaa

There are brake markers on the front straight. And Craig knows to use reference points for brake markers elsewhere. If he doesn't, I am revoking his instructing card...

:D

Wow, good video. Those were more of the lines I was expecting, except for the old bastard on the 1k at the beginning. :p

The plan is to spend most of saturday morning doing the single gear drill. I will latch on to whoever I can or grab Dubs dad for a tow. The only markers I caught were for 1 and the last right leading onto the front straight. Still working on the others.

Wow, good video. Those were more of the lines I was expecting, except for the old bastard on the 1k at the beginning. :p

The plan is to spend most of saturday morning doing the single gear drill. I will latch on to whoever I can or grab Dubs dad for a tow. The only markers I caught were for 1 and the last right leading onto the front straight. Still working on the others.

Yeah, that old fuck got the holeshot, but was absorbed like a new sponge to water by Gene and Ricky. Fuggers. At least I stayed with Gene after... That little Ricky is a hoot! And fast as greased lightnin!!

There's a little mark on the pavement for the turn in for dead bear also. SOmewhat to the right and you'll see it straight away if looking for it. A lot of guys turn in early there. The little mark helps stay out longer and deeper into it.

Coming out of dead bear is blind. But, hold your line through the apex and exit wide. It drops off a bit and there is a cross over, but you need to drive out fast. The seam in the pavement into 9 is a reference. Cross over about halfway from the exit of dead bear to 9 and stay on the left side of it. The seam is good and will not upset the bike and turn in when you see the curbing. It will be a little late, but will set you up to go wide between 9 and 10. Gently roll on throttle between 9 and 10 and try and stay inside 10 and exit like your ass is on fire!

Stay far left of the straight as you go down. The further right, the more of a hump and at least the 1000s, we had to roll out slightly to avoid big wheelies. Stay left and when you crest, it is fairly tame. Again, two gears down into one and some guys will do 3 if they like engine braking. But again, you can go deeper and faster than you think. Just when you think you have gone as fast as you can? Brake deeper and enter even faster and you'll still have more to go.

Exit 1 fast and hard and fade out wide left. I was defending in the race as I knew that Ricky was a demon on the brakes. Didn't matter, but the best line is swing wide left and accelerate in between. Use engine braking to slow you down slightly into 2. 2 is kind rough anymore, but you need to hit the apex well and drive hard out through 3. A lot of guys lose so much momentum into and out of 2 that they are really slow through the dog leg right hander of 3 and setting up for 4. You can pass easily on the left side of the exit of 2 and through 3 and be set up for the turn in to 4 and they will have no choice but to stay mid track or wide right into and through 4.

You need to stay tight in 4. TIGHT!!! That outside is sketchy and can lead to some serious issues. Some guys try and if you are fast, it can bite the shit out of you! Tight through 4 and exit hard and even up onto the curbing on exit. That seam again is a reference to cross over about 1/2 way between exit of 4 and entry to 5. Cross to the left and just flirt with staying on the seam. Don't go wide left as you open the door way too much for a stuff. The drive out of 5 is critical and will establish whether or not you enter the dog leg and bus stop well enough to hold anyone off. Don't be afraid that if you come up on a guy in the dog leg to literally twist the shit out of the throttle to blitz past on the right hand side and stuff into the bus stop. The bus stop is slow and a great passing place. You stuff? They lose drive. But, you do what Ricky did and stuff too late while the other guy is outside to the left and he will drive right past you on exit like Gene did. I prefer to stuff only when there is a spot where you can sit him up longer to kill his entry...

Then back to entry to dead bear...

• Upvote 2

Man I read the write up, and tried to watch the video, but it just runs 10 secs then buffers :( I'm just no good with PCs anymore lol.

That's actually good. Run it for ten seconds, pause. Reference what the line choices are and by then the thing will be ready again. Repeat.

The bottom line is that if you want the real line, these are great videos. Don't think that just because you cannot beat the track record (Ricky and Jake both did in their race against each other), it isn't useful. The idea is that the best line leads to less work and honestly, allows for a lot of things to be handled should something come up.

Just take and watch the video over and over again. It's what I do at tracks I have never been to before. I pick the fast guys and their videos and learn that way. It's how I learn when we do track events at places out west that I haven't seen before... Helps a ton...

Well I think I have the bullet points laid out on my track map for me to look at. Need to watch the video 1,000 more times. Not looking for anything too special, just some decent times on sunday.

Good luck with that. Completely sold out in Advanced is gonna be fun!! I am actually glad I am waiting until Nelson! 40 plus (who knows how many they allow) at Putnam is going to be like Top Gun when the MiGs show up.

Good luck with that. Completely sold out in Advanced is gonna be fun!! I am actually glad I am waiting until Nelson! 40 plus (who knows how many they allow) at Putnam is going to be like Top Gun when the MiGs show up.

Can I be Iceman? Craig can be Goose, and MyKill can be Maverick. MyKill did the best soaring impression at Jennings so I figure its fitting.

Yeah, heard a few things about the # of people and some thoughts being tossed around in regards to how to split that up. Not sure if anything will pan out, but it's going to be SNUG out there. Glad I lost a few lbs lol.

Can I be Iceman? Craig can be Goose, and MyKill can be Maverick. MyKill did the best soaring impression at Jennings so I figure its fitting.

Yeah, heard a few things about the # of people and some thoughts being tossed around in regards to how to split that up. Not sure if anything will pan out, but it's going to be SNUG out there. Glad I lost a few lbs lol.

If they split to more than 3 groups, that translates into less seat time and less sessions. That wouldn't be a good idea.

If they maxed at 40 which is the max for racing per the miles of the track, you're gonna be elbow to elbow. At that track with the differences in speed, you'll never get a clean lap at speed. Even if you drop 4 seconds a lap slower than you normally do, you'll have traffic alllllll day.

Nelson for me, bitches!!

Plus, they are so freakin disorganized over there! I've been trying to get a freakin answer on if I just race. The races are NOT sold out. I asked if we can get at minimum, 1 practice session and Dub says "yes", the website says "no" and the guy that visits the forum says "yes, but no". It's a crazy deal.

:confused:

Yeah, that was the thing that was brought up. Personally I'm fine with less sessions for a faster/cleaner track BUT then again, I need to work on passing and getting passed(okay I get passed enough), so not all bad.

Either way, we got pretty much the JenningsGP group and some more guys going so it'll be a solid time. Looking a little chilly right now, but that's okay, just means quality time in the trailer huddling together nakey. I mean wait...

, I need to work on passing and getting passed(okay I get passed enough), so not all bad.

This. Means some slower Int guys for me to to pass hopefully. If its a parade however it will suck harder than Madcat when he is in a lovers quarrel with blue3636329273987

Or, in Mad's situation, if you see a large group in front of you, expect it again in 3-4 laps as they pass you or lap you.

:p

In Craig's case, if he sees a large group in front of him, it means he is in the wrong group and Novice comes after.

:D

Yes, the shit has been spoken. And begin...

Or, in Mad's situation, if you see a large group in front of you, expect it again in 3-4 laps as they pass you or lap you.

I will do you one better on this one.

If mad has a large group in front of him, it's a regular saturday night. :bukkake:

I will do you one better on this one.

If mad has a large group in front of him, it's a regular saturday night. :bukkake:

Oh this is great! I love groupies.