opinions.. 1 down 5 up vs. 1 up 5 down?

bertman85

OK. So i have hit the tip of my shoe multiple times this year while in corners. I am considdering switching it to 1 up 5 down to gain clearance in the corners. Anyone with GP shifting pattern, please leave feedback. My main question is how long does it take to re-train your mind? Any other input is welcomed!

OK. So i have hit the tip of my shoe multiple times this year while in corners. I am considdering switching it to 1 up 5 down to gain clearance in the corners. Anyone with GP shifting pattern, please leave feedback. My main question is how long does it take to re-train your mind? Any other input is welcomed!

Didn't take me long at all..

I changed my street bike over and had 2 almost oh-shit moments, but never fully released he clutch going down when I meant to go up.

I would strongly advise changing over on the street, where you're not forced to change gears at redline. Once you're comfortable, then hit the track.

All that said, I like GP shift, but have to say I feel I am more likely to miss down shifts under braking than up shifts on acceleration. The opposite was never true with standard shift.

Not sure if they still do but wera use to make you mark it.

Yes they do.

aa) All machines must have a sticker placed on the triple clamp or gas tank reading “GP” or “STD” depending on the shift pattern used by your machine. These stickers will be available at tech.

Edited by blue03636

Maybe also try getting a little off the side of the bike when you turn. The bike will turn more but lean less = more clearance. Add that to proper foot position and you won't need to change the bike.

As a related bit of advice, I would strongly reccomend marking the shift pattern on your TANK, and not on the gauges.

My gauges managed to separate themselves from the rest of my bike during their 90 mph off-road adventure. the sticker on the face of my gauges was no help to the crash truck guys. Luckily I was conscious (although in retrospect, too dazed to be any help).