Another Helmet thread

Bad324

I have a love/hate relationship with Shoei RF-1000. Its great on a supersport and its light and comfortable but on my VFR it sounds like I'm sitting sitting next to an industrial fan. I also happened to drop it off my mirror last year so it really should be replaced for safety reasons as well.

I attribute the loudness to the more upright position. I could be entirely wrong and a wind deflector thing could resolve the issue but since I don't have to buy a new trailer, I'll probably treat myself to a new helmet

Is there such thing as a helmet designed for the more upright sport touring position I have with the VFR?

I've got a KBC VR and it's nice, but the Bell Star is probably hands down the nicest I've ever put my head in.......aaaaand, here come the jokes :D

Seriously though, I get just a bit of buffeting at speed with the KBC - but none with the Star........haven't had it much over a 100 but so far I'm thrilled with it - hope this helps

Just do what most riders do and just rock.the shades... You could always put in some earplugs as well and it should help with any helmet.

no

you're trying too hard. Take a step back at your attempts at humor until the thread has already gone to shit ;)

None that I've ever heard of, possibly with modulars or other touring-specialized helmets - The trend is that you get what you pay for -- I'd wager the only way to completely eliminate wind noise would be wear earbuds, at FULL volume of some non-stop rock/metal/thrash and you won't hear ANY wind what-so-ever:D

I attribute the loudness to the more upright position. I could be entirely wrong and a wind deflector thing could resolve the issue

Are you talking about a LaminarLip type products? I've read they help with buffeting, but not sure if it quiets exterior wind noise. Logic tells me they would simply due to less wind directly hitting the helmet, but I'd just go with the helmet you like and fit well, then wear earplugs or earbuds.

for long rides or on track, i always use ear plugs or ear buds that are either foam or seal well. i know certain helmets are quieter but only by a certain degree and it certainly won't come close to foam ear plugs or a good set of foam ear buds. it's just too loud without it for me, and i prefer to keep my hearing long term.

most people steal the disposable ones from work (you fucking scum bags), but i steal disposable ones from work and keep a couple sets in my tail bag, jacket, track gear bag, bike storage compartment, vagina, etc etc.

no

you're trying too hard. Take a step back at your attempts at humor until the thread has already gone to shit ;)

The earplugs were on a serious note. They make some really good earplugs that can help with your problem. Personally I dont like em, hell I wont even wear em when I go.to.the range, but if you like.your current helmet or if you find a new.one and are still having noise issues then earplugs are a great solution.

You can get what's called "neck curtains" and "chin curtains" ( not to be confused with "meat curtains" ) for some brands that greatly reduce wind and noise from underneath the helmet that would surely help with hearing/speaking on your scala - but they could make your helmet warmer for your noggin' in summer heat? :dunno:

apparently everyone missed the fact I'm looking for a new helmet :rolleyes: I realize no helmet will ever be soundproof and thats not what I'm looking for.

I wear my earbuds 99% of the time, some reason they do not give me a headache but the wind noise/buffeting will. I've tried with ear plugs and ear buds and results are always the same. The VFR and my height and riding position provide the perfect storm of the wind hitting my directly in the face. Tucking behind the windscreen obviously does wonders but with the heli-bars its an awkward and uncomfortable position

Are you talking about a LaminarLip type products? I've read they help with buffeting, but not sure if it quiets exterior wind noise. Logic tells me they would simply due to less wind directly hitting the helmet, but I'd just go with the helmet you like and fit well, then wear earplugs or earbuds.

yea its a laminar lip, supposedly does wonders on the VFR but aesthetically speaking its ugly to me

I bought one of these from Riders Discount a few months back its a Aero Skirt and it helped with the wind noise a bit. I just checked their site and could not find them but there are some on eBay. Link: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=scorpion+exo-1000+aero+skirt&_sacat=All+of+eBay+Motors

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/schuberth-r1/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Helmets/2009/July/jul2409-top1-quietest-helmets/

Hope these 2 links help.

Btw the 2nd link.i.know is from 09 while the first is more current. But the 09 link I found very helpful for reputable eind reduction helmet brands. One company has the top 4-5 wind redution helmets, so im pretty damn sure if that was in 09 their new shit is alot better.

Edited by Exarch

apparently everyone missed the fact I'm looking for a new helmet :rolleyes: I realize no helmet will ever be soundproof and thats not what I'm looking for.

I wear my earbuds 99% of the time, some reason they do not give me a headache but the wind noise/buffeting will. I've tried with ear plugs and ear buds and results are always the same. The VFR and my height and riding position provide the perfect storm of the wind hitting my directly in the face. Tucking behind the windscreen obviously does wonders but with the heli-bars its an awkward and uncomfortable position

just use ear plugs you dirty jersey shore look alike! GAWD

lol you're right, a few of us missed the point (especially me) if you are looking for a new helmet anyway, here's where i go when i go searching for street helmets or to check out reviews for gear: www.bbdwhitewimmenz.com

here is something i found for your pleasure

that first link is especially useful, the second link just shows how caring and gracious i am.

I'd go half helmet and a set of super absorbent tampons. You'll have to cut the strings though.... they tend to smack your eyeballs.

But seriously, I'll be watching this thread. I'm not comfortable with earplugs or music. I think it would lesson my awareness of my surroundings. My exo700 LBTS and it's time for a new lid.

Edited by C-bus
  • Upvote 1