Another Helmet thread

Bad324

Exo 1100 is supposed to be designed for a more upright riding postion or touring kind of helmet. Way more comfy than the Shoei's I tried on. RD has great pricing but schemes kind of suck.

^^This... I got the scorpion exo1100 from riders discount. It is supposed to be for a more upright seating. I've had it a few weeks now. It's a nice helmet, better wind resistance than my Bell Vortex. It has been a relatively tough break in though. Overall I like it...just needs broken in more.

^^This... I got the scorpion exo1100 from riders discount. It is supposed to be for a more upright seating. I've had it a few weeks now. It's a nice helmet, better wind resistance than my Bell Vortex. It has been a relatively tough break in though. Overall I like it...just needs broken in more.

just tested the scala rider thingy with wifes exo 400, damn amazing, less wind noise and overall very good considering the price. tried it in 70ish speed and still awesome, under 150 helmet, hence weight sux, and saftey will be concern i guess

Edited by NinjaDoc

I've got a KBC VR and it's nice, but the Bell Star is probably hands down the nicest I've ever put my head in.......aaaaand, here come the jokes :D

Seriously though, I get just a bit of buffeting at speed with the KBC - but none with the Star........haven't had it much over a 100 but so far I'm thrilled with it - hope this helps

Ill second the star being a nice lid and can be found cheap on motorcycle closeouts (199 or 299 for the RS1) its so much lighter than a cheapo and the transitions shield is great. With the chin deflector out or even with it in you still get a fair amount of wind noise but not horrible. Still wear buds or plugs when its a long ride or fast. Far quieter than the cheap leaky POS scorpion I had first and way lighter. It also has good airflow with the vents open but that does increase the noise.

just tested the scala rider thingy with wifes exo 400, damn amazing, less wind noise and overall very good considering the price. tried it in 70ish speed and still awesome, under 150 helmet, hence weight sux, and saftey will be concern i guess

The exo-400 crashes just fine ;)

The Bell Star is one I'd definitely like to try on but has to wait until I make a trip to IP. Might give the Scorpion a shot since my first was an exo-400 that I liked until I got my Shoei and now just keep as a back up since its so heavy in comparison

• 4 weeks later...

I just got an exo 900 and I love it pretty quite and a lot lighter than my previous ones got it from Riders discount and that's the way to go IMO. I went to a dealer, tried on my size of multiple helmets and ended up likening the 900 best, left then posted in RD's thread and he sent me a PM with amazing pricing compared to any place near me

all i've found is a couple opinions. I was waiting til I got to Iron Pony to try on the Bell Star and a couple others mentioned as well. I've also been tossing around the idea of trying a Laminar Lip on the windscreen first to see if it helps any

Unfortunately, doesn't look like it will be anytime before the Gap trip which is what I was hoping unless I can swing getting out of work early and making the drive down during the week

Is there such thing as a helmet designed for the more upright sport touring position I have with the VFR?

There are but there is a major trade-off. If you want less wind noise, you have to do with less venting. Vents catch the wind and interrupt the flow around the helmet. More vents = more noise (and more ways for that noise to get to your ears faster).

Earplugs are the best bet if you like air flow in your helmet.