Dumped it!

cg2112

Dropped my bike for the first time ever today. I noticed that one of the clips snapped on my left side saddlebag and the thing was flapping in the wind, so I pulled over onto a parking lot off the highway to fix it.

Unfortunately, what looked exactly like a paved parking lot was actually gray loose gravel on top of fairly soft dirt. So, I hit the gravel, while in a turn, at about 30mph. It was pretty sweet.

Banged up my right arm pretty good, and scraped up by back (going to have scars on my tattoo) right through the thick shirt I was wearing. Bruised up a rib or two pretty good, hurts to breath, but not to touch, so not cracked.

Meanwhile, there isn't even anything that could be called a scratch on the bike. A little bit of scuff on the bottom of the right foot peg, and the mirror on that side was loosened, but not even a mark on it.

Could have been worse, but not too bad for my first digger.

but it was so warm out :cry:

I don't see that as a valid excuse. Get the right gear and you won't have a problem. I wear jeans and a leather perforated jacket and the only time I am ever hot is at stop signs/lights and those are only a couple minutes long so not a big deal.

While that's true, I'm a complete pussy when it comes to heat. I ride in the middle of winter, and feel fairly comfortable, but once it gets up to 80 or so, I start to feel pretty miserable. I probably wouldn't ride in the summer if I had to wear a jacket.

Seriously, it's probably 80 in my house right now, and I'm sweating like a fat man in Florida.

Welcome to the club, glad you escaped any serious injury. Remember, skin grows back, but Chrome is expensive.

It sure as hell doesn't.:wtf: Glad the OP is doing OK, could've been much worse or better however. Your choice not to wear gear is your choice, but I can tell you that Summer jackets and pants are just as cool as bare skin. Matter of fact you are much better off, you won't get sunburned and or dehydrated as fast. And having armor and abrasion resistance is priceless.

I don't see that as a valid excuse. Get the right gear and you won't have a problem. I wear jeans and a leather perforated jacket and the only time I am ever hot is at stop signs/lights and those are only a couple minutes long so not a big deal.

sarcasm bro ;)

I would too, but I've seen more damage to bikes falling from a stand still (saw a guy forgot to drop his kickstand once, hilarity ensued). There's seriously not a visible scratch on it, until you look real close. And even then, you wouldn't guess it was from laying down.

While that's true, I'm a complete pussy when it comes to heat. I ride in the middle of winter, and feel fairly comfortable, but once it gets up to 80 or so, I start to feel pretty miserable. I probably wouldn't ride in the summer if I had to wear a jacket.

Seriously, it's probably 80 in my house right now, and I'm sweating like a fat man in Florida.

Then you probably shouldn't ride. :rolleyes:

Ever heard of a mesh jacket? I guess that's just not cool, but even Fonzie wore leather.

I just came on to tell a story, but thanks for the lecture guys!

It's been a while since a bunch of people told me stuff that I already know, and that I'm sure to just ignore. Much appreciated, though!

Dropped my bike for the first time ever today. I noticed that one of the clips snapped on my left side saddlebag and the thing was flapping in the wind, so I pulled over onto a parking lot off the highway to fix it.

Unfortunately, what looked exactly like a paved parking lot was actually gray loose gravel on top of fairly soft dirt. So, I hit the gravel, while in a turn, at about 30mph. It was pretty sweet.

Banged up my right arm pretty good, and scraped up by back (going to have scars on my tattoo) right through the thick shirt I was wearing. Bruised up a rib or two pretty good, hurts to breath, but not to touch, so not cracked.

Meanwhile, there isn't even anything that could be called a scratch on the bike. A little bit of scuff on the bottom of the right foot peg, and the mirror on that side was loosened, but not even a mark on it.

Could have been worse, but not too bad for my first digger.

that sucks bro I hope you feel better soon. Had my 1st wreck today too so I can relate, but exactly the opposite happened. 0 injuries(scraped knee and small scratch on my palm meh) bike looks ugly though lol.

I just came on to tell a story, but thanks for the lecture guys!

It's been a while since a bunch of people told me stuff that I already know, and that I'm sure to just ignore. Much appreciated, though!

What kind of responses were you expecting from a group of people that

for the most part are ATGATT (all the gear all the time) :dunno:

Ultimately gear is your choice. But never expect sympathy from this bunch

if you chose to not gear up. ;)