Mich. helmet law gone.

Tonik

Good! The populous needs to maintain the right to make bad decisions. My $.02.

I agree, but I'm really surprised that any state would revoke a helmet law.

It seems like the type of legislation that would be unpopular, even if the principle behind it is sound.

I agree, but I'm really surprised that any state would revoke a helmet law.

I'm trying to figure out how they repealed the helmet law but didn't get a ton of flack about still having a seat belt law. It seems the principal is the same.

Like OHIO?:wtf:

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I wonder how they got away with repealing an existing helmet law while having an existing seat belt law. Ohio repealed it's helmet law 16 years before it had a seat belt law.

higher rates for all of us:mad:

I recall seeing a piece somewhere that noted that insurance rates can actually go down in states without a strict helmet law.

The reason being that accidents without a helmet end up being cheaper for the insurance company as the chance of death is higher. A dead rider means no ongoing medical costs, and in most cases, there's no claim for repair or replacement of the bike by the family.

Personally, after getting hit in the helmet by at least two rocks thrown up by traffic in front of me, a few nuts and berries falling from trees, and a plenty of large bugs this weekend, I have more than enough reason to keep wearing my helmet regardless.

I recall seeing a piece somewhere that noted that insurance rates can actually go down in states without a strict helmet law.

The reason being that accidents without a helmet end up being cheaper for the insurance company as the chance of death is higher. A dead rider means no ongoing medical costs, and in most cases, there's no claim for repair or replacement of the bike by the family.

Personally, after getting hit in the helmet by at least two rocks thrown up by traffic in front of me, a few nuts and berries falling from trees, and a plenty of large bugs this weekend, I have more than enough reason to keep wearing my helmet regardless.

hell without full gear getting hit in the legs, neck, hands hurts like a bitch, i took a bug in the eye just from having my sheild up for a few seconds.. i dont see how riding without gear can be comfortable for anyone. oh well their body not mine :dunno:

Heard about this from a co-worker from Michigan the other day. He said that the reasoning was due to tourism from bikers who would avoid the state due to the helmet law.

Stupid if you ask me, but what's done is done.

Heard about this from a co-worker from Michigan the other day. He said that the reasoning was due to tourism from bikers who would avoid the state due to the helmet law.

Stupid if you ask me, but what's done is done.

I would avoid that state because its flat and it sucks, not because of its helmet laws.

Glad they repealed it though. Not into government nannyism.

How does a seat belt prevent you from smashing your face into an airbag, windshield or steering wheel. For all I know all of us should be driving around with helmets! Kind of silly for someone not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle... Or scooter (that goes out to all the fearless business men and women).

How does a seat belt prevent you from smashing your face into an airbag, windshield or steering wheel. For all I know all of us should be driving around with helmets! Kind of silly for someone not to wear a helmet on a motorcycle... Or scooter (that goes out to all the fearless business men and women).

Agreed, it is silly. But I don't need "The Man" telling me to do it.

I agree, don't need someone telling you to wear a helmet or a seatbelt, should be your call. I think people are more hung up on that, than actually making a decision themselves to wear a helmet. Even if no law were in place I think a lot would still do it by their own choice for safety reasons.