Opinions on Racetech Gold Valve Emulators

SpeedTriple44444

I have a 650 V-strom that I've done a lot of mods on lately, including the Racetech springs and gold valve emulators. I know this is a budget fix for a budget suspension, but I'm wondering if it was worth the time and money. There aren't a lot of options for forks for this bike, so I thought I would give it a try. I've only ridden it about 10 miles (still working on other stuff), and it feels ok, but I'm not sure it's yet if it's a significant upgrade or not. I have very little experience with suspension setup, so I'm not sure what to look for to tell if it's better. Anyone with experience have suggestions / opinions on this?

The brake dive is definitely much improved. I don't have enough miles on the bike to tell if the handling improvement is significant, but I can tell you that there is some more feedback from the front end. I did a couple other mods at the same time; fork brace, tapered rollers in the steering head, so I'm not sure if it's all the emulators. I took it over a really bad road, and it seems to be working- almost plush. I'm not sure how it's going to handle at higher speeds yet. The truth is, I'm not really sure what makes a good setup... still trying to understand exactly what the bike needs.

I know what you mean. I've read just about every thread on hear as well as Triumphrat and there is no one answer, everyone has their own ideas. Figure I'll go the cheaper route and re-valve later if I want more.

Ricor Intiminators are another option. Install is similar to the emulators, but without the drilling. I just installed a set on my SFV650. I am still worlking through suspension setup/tuning, so I haven't quite made up my mind on them yet.

Edited by Tpoppa

I would have started there also...The oil weight is the last opportunity left to get more damping (with heavier weight oil) if the thing still collapses too easily. I have had emulators (don't now) and currently have the Intiminators and 10wt oil in my DR fork, which is a similar fork to your DL. Like them a lot -- they work well in all the conditions I take the thing into, which is mostly dirt/gravel roads.

Did you do anything with the shock? I have a Ricor on the back of the DR, fn magic.

No shock mods yet. I've run out of cash for modding on that one. In the past month I've put stage 2 cams, manual cam chain tensioners, Akrapovic system, PCIII, CBR600 front calipers and master cylinder, galfer lines and HHpads, fork springs, emulators, new steering head tapered rollers (had balls in it- sloppy) new front and rear wheel bearings, fork brace, new Pilot road 3's, all fluids changed, etc. So, I'm a little tapped out now, lol. I've heard the rear shock is a huge improvement, and I want to do that in the future. I'm really glad to get the fork dive issue resolved. I'll have to play with the damping, emulator settings, oil weight etc. once I figure out where it needs to go.

That's a lot of stuff!! Based on what you have on that thing, I would say the rear shock is a good next step. I wouldn't be surprised when you get out there and start twisting it, the rear will come into sharper focus as the next problem to solve.

I never did change the susp on my old DL, but once, a couple of years after getting rid of mine, rode one with a RaceTech suspension and was really impressed. No more hobby horse!

You're not the first to tell me that about the rear shock becoming an issue. I've heard once you take the pogo out of the front end it shows up just how bad the rear really is.

I really like the bike. It's not fast, but it's fun and comfortable, and does pretty much everything well, if not excellent. It's a keeper for me.

Yes, the DL is a great bike, very popular with it's owner base. The fellow I sold mine to still has it, still loves it and intends to keep it forever...

Have fun this summer with it!!

I replaced the DL with a 950 ADV. Rockin' bike! The stock (but good) WP susp has been reworked by Fastbike Enterprises, and this thing eats potholes like nothing else I've ever known.

Riding bud of mine just got the new 500. It rocks! Geared so tall, it'll go 95 (maybe more)! My DR tops out at around 90 and he's still going!

Agree on the 690 -- too bad they're not making those anymore!