Cop took my gun during traffic stop

wicked94s10

I didnt say anyone broke a law... I said in SOME states. Also I said it isnt wise to carry a gun with a round in the chamber as it could lead to.an accidental discharge(cuz we all know a gun has never accidentally.discharged...) I also said I had a buddy killed by.an.accidental.discharge when the gun wasnt anywhere near.him(must not be true since guns cant go.off.unless a person intentionally fires it) as an example, but im sure if you google accidental discharges nothing.will.show up.in the search results :rolleyes:

I never said im anti gun, I do go to the range still, I just dont plan on owning a gun. Hell I was in the army for 6 years, ive seen plenty of guns misfire(actually I havent cuz a gun cannot misfire :rolleyes: )

if you want to twist my.words around go for.it, but thats on you.

Ridiculous.

You don't carry a firearm with an empty chamber. What, you're going to draw, rack the slide, assume a three point stance with your weapon, perfect isoceles, inform the man with a written notice of fear-of-life, instruct him calmly to retreat in the King's English, and then hope he complies?

No.

I don't keep a round chambered for my home defense weapon, but carrying chamber-empty while out and about is like saying you never had a round chambered in your rifle when you went out on patrol (assuming you were actually in combat at any point during your service).

• Upvote 1

Most properly functioning modern guns don't go bang by themselves unless something is wrong with them. Many if the older revolvers would. My guns have yet to discharge themselves. I quarentine them for 30 days to ensure they are not evil and don't accidently go off all by themselves. I am starting to believe they are breeding though. I started with one smith and up to three. Oh my sigs are duplicating also. Damn it so has my beretta I forgot about the wifes 22. AR's multiply as well.

Didn't this guy say he was in the military? He of all people should know how useful an unloaded gun is. :popcorn:

I didnt say anything bout an unloaded gun, I said something about an unchamberd round... Takes less than a second to cock most weapons.

I didnt say anything bout an unloaded gun, I said something about an unchamberd round... Takes less than a second to cock most weapons.

I could have a bullet in your head by the time it takes you to chamber a round. It's just stupid to not have one ready.

if youre carrying without a round in the chamber and you get into a confrontation, what happens if you dont have both hands free to rack the slide?

like the guy in dayton who got attacked at the gas pump...he was mid confrontation, brawling with two guys when he had to reach into his vehicle and grab his gun....he didnt have two free hands because one hand was holding onto his vehicle so they couldnt pull him out, and the other was reaching for his firearm.....he didnt have two hands or time to rack the slide...round in the chamber saved him from a potentially fatal beating...the two guys were completely fucked up on drugs and who knows how far they would have taken it

You could wear a "No Guns" sign on your chest. We all know those stop bad guys from using guns. It would keep you safe!

Ridiculous.

You don't carry a firearm with an empty chamber. What, you're going to draw, rack the slide, assume a three point stance with your weapon, perfect isoceles, inform the man with a written notice of fear-of-life, instruct him calmly to retreat in the King's English, and then hope he complies?

No.

I don't keep a round chambered for my home defense weapon, but carrying chamber-empty while out and about is like saying you never had a round chambered in your rifle when you went out on patrol (assuming you were actually in combat at any point during your service).

• Upvote 1

if youre carrying without a round in the chamber and you get into a confrontation, what happens if you dont have both hands free to rack the slide?

like the guy in dayton who got attacked at the gas pump...he was mid confrontation, brawling with two guys when he had to reach into his vehicle and grab his gun....he didnt have two free hands because one hand was holding onto his vehicle so they couldnt pull him out, and the other was reaching for his firearm.....he didnt have two hands or time to rack the slide...round in the chamber saved him from a potentially fatal beating...the two guys were completely fucked up on drugs and who knows how far they would have taken it

Not to agree with him, but I suggest doing one hand drills reloading or swapping mags. Never know if you will be injured and need to mag swap. You use the ejection port on the slide and catch on your holster, chair, belt, about anything really its easy to do.

Thats the way to go one in the chamber

its not even just this thread, its every one you post in....at least be informed about a subject before you spend time to try and argue it and tell people about it.

also, i dont believe in "accidental discharges" ....there are purposeful discharges, and negligent discharges....in the case wicked is talking about, i would like to see more details, but if it was truly a faulty mechanism, you could maybe pull the AD card....but i still think something would happen to cause it....guns dont just fire when theyre sitting untouched and undisturbed, especially modern guns

as for the guy you know, sorry you lost your friend, and i obviously cant tell you that it didnt happen because what do i know? i dont know the guy....but to me, it seems like there had to be more going on...although, my original comment was not about the discharge at all, it was about the laws you have floating around in your head

Not sure what your talking about, I have backed every law I have mentiomed thus far with a link :) now i.may of got some mixed up, but I always backed up and corrected myself on the laws.I dont keep up in every states laws, but not a single law I said was untrue just because it didnt pertain to Ohio. In the case of the bar law that WAS an Ohio law untill 2011 if you check the link I used to back myself up and it is still a law in other states, again which I used a link to back myself up.

Now for my friend here are ALL the details I know. I wasnt there, I just heard this from his family members at the funeral. So keep in mind this is hearsay and i.did not witness this.

it was 4th of July, my buddy and his wife were having a party at their house. There was plenty of alcohol and fireworks at.the party and about 30-40 people there. They had been.shooting off fireworks for.about.2 hours and ran out of fireworks, but he had more in his bedroom closet(which is directly across from his nightstand) he went up to his room, opened.the.door, got the box of.fireworks, set them down, and slammed the.door.shut. the gun then discharged and killed him. The nightstand had a hole in it and it was locked still(he had the only.key) the cops said either the vibration could of ,caused the discharge or.knocked.the gun over which lead to the discharge. It was a total freak accident and no foul play was involved.

im not sure what type of gun it was, I just know it was a hand gun. Ive never seen it b4. I never even knew a gun could go off like that(the safety was ON from what I was told) some people might call BS on this and that is fine, I got no reason to lie about something like this. I know it sounds crazy, but its true. He was a good guy, he didnt deserve to die that day, but he did.

i dont see why we have to notify anyways..... 1. it shows up on our license plates anyways 2. if we are up to no good we arent going to notify regardless of the law, and if we arent up to no good then we obviously arent a threat to the cop anyways

Just something to think about, not ever department has computers to run your plate before hand, or sometimes they aren't working. So they don't always know beforehand you have a chl. I'm not siding one way or another, just saying.

For most LEOs it's standard practice to check firearms for stolen, once you announce/admit they are there. For most, that means taking it back to the cruiser to call the s/n in and check.

My thinking is if A) the individual has a CHL and B) they notified of the CHL, that they were armed and where it was at, chances are good it's not going to be stolen. Could it be? Yeah sure. Likely? I don't think so.

If an officer takes your gun, is not familiar with it and it fires, potentially shooting himself (or somebody else, incl. YOU), would they be fully prosecuted by the law?

I can understand them wanting to protect themselves but there's just too many other variables to justify the risk (and trampling on our rights)

Let me preface this by stating I take no responsibility for your actions and the outcome of an encounter with a LEO. Do so at your own risk.

I have told friends that should you be asked for your firearm, my recommendation is to state as friendly as possible "Officer, I have no problem surrendering my firearm to you but for your safety and mine, I do not want to retrieve it from the holster. I would prefer to remove the firearm and holster as one unit or to have you retrieve it from my person. Be advised that it is loaded with one in the chamber and it has no manual safety." Or something along those lines that apply to your situation. During a stop, most people are nervous. Fingers slip, they forget where the muzzle is and could sweep the officer. If you can minimize those types of issues, it is/should be safer for all. If the LEO won't do that, well follow his orders to a T.

There shouldnt be a round in the chamber anyhow, but accidents do happen. Im sure there have been a few cases(I know there have been a few cases) where a guy has gotten a ticket and then attempted to kill the cop. Atleast this way if the guy is calm after thr ticket it is more than likely to give him the gun back. If the guy is irate after he gets the ticket than its probably not the best idea to give him the gun back.

I do see your point though, but the cop has to do what he feels is in his best interest. In this case the cop was not a Dick about it, so no.harm no foul :)

I have a round in the chamber all the time. No manual safety. The round only comes out during cleanings and in between shots. During a high stress incident, you lose fine motor skills and a split second can mean the difference. If you're freaking out, you may not rack the slide all the way. Now you've jammed the gun up. You might not have use of both hands. One less step means one less step that can get jacked up. If a bad guy draws on you, he will have one in the chamber. You cannot out draw him so you're already a step behind. Now you have to take the extra time to rack it, hoping you can do it before you're shot.

Well, were talking about transporting it, not walking around. The weapon could accidentally discharge while riding, if it didnt.hit the.rider or the tank it sould probably freak him out. If its.in his tank bag and he has time to pull it out why wouldnt he have time to cock it? Accidents happen, a buddy of mine got shot in the head because a gun accidentally discharged. Hell it was locked in a nightstand and he was on the otherside of the room, his family heard the shot and ran upstares to check on him and they discovered him dead with no gun in sight.

Idc what anyone does, its on them, but its just safer without a round in the chamber. im not gunna check the laws again, but in some states its illegal for there to be a.magazine in the weapon while transporting it, I have no clue what Missouri law is and I dont care. Im just saying accidents happen. Too many people get hurt thinking there is no round in the chamber(including the owner.of the gun and cops)

just be safe is all im tryin to say.

The chances of a gun discharging in a tank bag are slim. Not to mention of he want's to remove it and put it on his person, he'd have to rack it in public which could get him in trouble. Instead he can discretely put it on his person. Also, it only takes one hand to remove it, two to make it ready to fire.

A second under perfect conditions. You won't have perfect conditions and you are probably already at a disadvantage having to draw after seeing the criminal draw his. Now the split second having to rack it could mean more the difference. Why give yourself more of a disadvantage?

Not to agree with him, but I suggest doing one hand drills reloading or swapping mags. Never know if you will be injured and need to mag swap. You use the ejection port on the slide and catch on your holster, chair, belt, about anything really its easy to do.

This. This. This.

Not sure what your talking about, I have backed every law I have mentiomed thus far with a link :) now i.may of got some mixed up, but I always backed up and corrected myself on the laws.I dont keep up in every states laws, but not a single law I said was untrue just because it didnt pertain to Ohio. In the case of the bar law that WAS an Ohio law untill 2011 if you check the link I used to back myself up and it is still a law in other states, again which I used a link to back myself up.

Umm, didn't you and I go back and forth on some Ohio gun laws and you were wrong multiple times? Even after I cited the ORC? I think you said ammo had to be separated from the gun and I showed you it didn't? Maybe it was someone else but pretty sure it was you.

EDIT: No, it was lightbulb on that instance. Disregard.

Edited by chevysoldier

i wasnt talking about reloading, i was talking about racking the slide ...if youre carrying without one in the chamber, you need to rack the slide before taking a shot....theres a big difference in racking it from battery than there is simply dropping the slide from an open locked position...i could reload my gun and drop the slide no problem, heck i never use two hands to drop the slide, i just hit the lever and it drops into battery....sure this may not work great for some firearms, but for mine it works just fine

i wasnt talking about reloading, i was talking about racking the slide ...if youre carrying without one in the chamber, you need to rack the slide before taking a shot....theres a big difference in racking it from battery than there is simply dropping the slide from an open locked position...i could reload my gun and drop the slide no problem, heck i never use two hands to drop the slide, i just hit the lever and it drops into battery....sure this may not work great for some firearms, but for mine it works just fine

You should get out of they habit of thumbing the slide release. Good chance you wouldn't be able to find or use it during a high stress incident. Just another thing to worry about IMHO

Edit: removed link, didn't read all the way through and not what I thought. lol

I was talking up pulling the slide back via the ejection port. Even glocks or hks can malfunction or have a dud round.

This guy is pretty damn quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAvWOEj-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by crb

I was talking up pulling the slide back via the ejection port. Even glocks or hks can malfunction or have a dud round.

more power to you, but i wont be doing this myself....not that its a bad skill to have, but i think the chances of ever using it are very unlikely for a civilian...rather not tear up my gun on my belt buckle to practice a skill ill never use

if you think being able to rack a gun on your belt is a good reason to not carry with one in the chamber, more power to you, but i will continue to disagree

just saw your edit and video add.....while its a neat trick in the video, i prefer to carry with it already racked....then theres no use to do that...what if youre in a situation that isnt an option? what if youre on the ground in a struggle, forced to crossdraw, etc? its not an ideal situation

Edited by Steve Butters

more power to you, but i wont be doing this myself....not that its a bad skill to have, but i think the chances of ever using it are very unlikely for a civilian...rather not tear up my gun on my belt buckle to practice a skill ill never use

if you think being able to rack a gun on your belt is a good reason to not carry with one in the chamber, more power to you, but i will continue to disagree

just saw your edit and video add.....while its a neat trick in the video, i prefer to carry with it already racked....then theres no use to do that...what if youre in a situation that isnt an option? what if youre on the ground in a struggle, forced to crossdraw, etc? its not an ideal situation

I don't think crb carries an empty chamber. I think His point was if you empty your first magazine and need to reload, knowing how to with one hand is beneficial.

I don't think crb carries an empty chamber. I think His point was if you empty your first magazine and need to reload, knowing how to with one hand is beneficial.

i agree, but his video demonstrated carrying without one in the chamber, and his response to me was in disagreement when i mentioned that its beneficial to carry with one in the chamber ...so i guess im not sure where he is coming from

I carry with one in the chamber as well, its a malfunction injury drill. Will I ever have to use it I sure hope not but then again I hope I.never have to use my firearm in self defense. I usually carry an extra mag or two just in case once again I hope I never need them. I also regularly carry a bug. You dont use the belt buckle either. Usually I use my holster. I carry battle weapons I'm not afraid to get a scratch on them honestly. I also practice with random dummy rounds. I use tap rack bang method. I need to pickup coming tactics videos.