Cop took my gun during traffic stop

wicked94s10

For most LEOs it's standard practice to check firearms for stolen, once you announce/admit they are there. For most, that means taking it back to the cruiser to call the s/n in and check.

Then there was the friend stopped in West Virginia. He was right out of school, OSU criminology, traveling to new school in Florida. (Back before CCW stuff). He announced weapon in glove box, and the trooper didn't care. He said "you can't shoot me fast enough".

This might be a dumb question, but in regards to field stripping and officers doing that, do offers carry the appropriate tools to field strip all pistols? For example, you need a small punch or equivalent to breakdown an LCP.

I've read multiple reports of officers simply locking thr slide back and unloading the mag, which is stupid. These stories have cone from all over America.

If an officer takes your gun, is not familiar with it and it fires, potentially shooting himself (or somebody else, incl. YOU), would they be fully prosecuted by the law?

I can understand them wanting to protect themselves but there's just too many other variables to justify the risk (and trampling on our rights)

Cleveland Metro park rangers are LEO's sworn in under Ohio law and can issue tickets and if necessary handcuff you and arrest you if this happens to you in the North Chagrin reservation you will end up Mayfield jail and in Lyndhurst municipal court trust me on this

this is 100% accurate as I know this from first hand experience :o

He prob just did it for his own safety. I see nothing wrong with that aslong as he returned it back to you.

Up until he has am accidental discharge. Some cops have very bad safe handeling skills. Not all but quite a few.

Up until he has am accidental discharge. Some cops have very bad safe handeling skills. Not all but quite a few.

There shouldnt be a round in the chamber anyhow, but accidents do happen. Im sure there have been a few cases(I know there have been a few cases) where a guy has gotten a ticket and then attempted to kill the cop. Atleast this way if the guy is calm after thr ticket it is more than likely to give him the gun back. If the guy is irate after he gets the ticket than its probably not the best idea to give him the gun back.

I do see your point though, but the cop has to do what he feels is in his best interest. In this case the cop was not a Dick about it, so no.harm no foul :)

There shouldnt be a round in the chamber anyhow, but accidents do happen.

Why should there not be a round in the chamber? I keep one chambered at all times because what is the use of a gun for protection if you have to cock it first? If you ever need to use your gun, you're probably gonna need to use it now and not 2 seconds from now when you have cocked it.

Edited by JStump

"im the only one professional enough to carry this gun", he says... moments before he shoots himself in the leg

DEA Agent - YouTube

+rep

That is my favorite YouTube video. If I'm feeling down I give it a watch. My next favorite is bigtex shooting himself with the 1911.

I always keep a full mag and one in the chamber. Springfield EMP is carried hammer back safety on cocked and locked 100% of thr time. Wife carries with one in each cylinder as well. I also always carry at least one fully loaded spare mag but usually two.

I even carry while wearing my hoodies and eating skittles. FYI I like to seperate the colors to eat them seperate cause I'm racist.

Edited by crb

Why should there not be a round in the chamber? I keep one chambered at all times because what is the use of a gun for protection if you have to cock it first? If you ever need to use your gun, you're probably gonna need to use it now and not 2 seconds from now when you have cocked it.

Well, were talking about transporting it, not walking around. The weapon could accidentally discharge while riding, if it didnt.hit the.rider or the tank it sould probably freak him out. If its.in his tank bag and he has time to pull it out why wouldnt he have time to cock it? Accidents happen, a buddy of mine got shot in the head because a gun accidentally discharged. Hell it was locked in a nightstand and he was on the otherside of the room, his family heard the shot and ran upstares to check on him and they discovered him dead with no gun in sight.

Idc what anyone does, its on them, but its just safer without a round in the chamber. im not gunna check the laws again, but in some states its illegal for there to be a.magazine in the weapon while transporting it, I have no clue what Missouri law is and I dont care. Im just saying accidents happen. Too many people get hurt thinking there is no round in the chamber(including the owner.of the gun and cops)

just be safe is all im tryin to say.

• Downvote 1

I assume they take peoples gun s through this stretch of highway because they piss so many people off. Come to find out its a known speed trap and tickets are four times the normal cost. They had a cop ontop of a hotel with a laser clocking people. They had six people pulled over while I was pulled over. The ticket was 200 bucks for 71 in a 60. They were clocking people at the edge of town there the speed drops from 65 to 60

Well, were talking about transporting it, not walking around. The weapon could accidentally discharge while riding, if it didnt.hit the.rider or the tank it sould probably freak him out. If its.in his tank bag and he has time to pull it out why wouldnt he have time to cock it? Accidents happen, a buddy of mine got shot in the head because a gun accidentally discharged. Hell it was locked in a nightstand and he was on the otherside of the room, his family heard the shot and ran upstares to check on him and they discovered him dead with no gun in sight.

Idc what anyone does, its on them, but its just safer without a round in the chamber. im not gunna check the laws again, but in some states its illegal for there to be a.magazine in the weapon while transporting it, I have no clue what Missouri law is and I dont care. Im just saying accidents happen. Too many people get hurt thinking there is no round in the chamber(including the owner.of the gun and cops)

Dude, I've never commented on one of your posts before but this one is so stupid I'm not even going to try to argue with you and point out all the things that are wrong with it.

Secondly, I got pulled over and ticketed in Newcomerstown last year while carrying and the leo took possession of my gun after I informed him and then returned it along with a ticket :facepalm: I really had no problem with that and I can see why they do it. If I was the officer, I would feel safer having the gun in my possession even though 99% of people with a CHL do not have bad intentions when pulled over

I

Call

Bullshit

This is I.am going to leave to someone with more patience to explain this to you. Oh IP, chevysoldier your turn.

All I'm gonna say is LOL!!!!

Edited by crb

I will say if I was going to put the EMP (1911) in a tank bag I.would drop the hammer, but keep a round chambered, so if I needed it I would simply pull the hammer back and she would go bang. Sig 229 or anything else I have would be safety off (if it has one) round in.the chamber with full mags.

Surely the police dont carry with one in the chamber. I mean for safety's sake.

I think on my trip to indy I will leave my firearms at home and pack skittles.

Edited by crb

exarch should be blocked from all firearm related threads for posting so much inaccurate information.....he is anti-gun and seems to make it into every firearms thread anyways, and then he posts up bad info about laws were all breaking...../facepalm

I didnt say anyone broke a law... I said in SOME states. Also I said it isnt wise to carry a gun with a round in the chamber as it could lead to.an accidental discharge(cuz we all know a gun has never accidentally.discharged...) I also said I had a buddy killed by.an.accidental.discharge when the gun wasnt anywhere near.him(must not be true since guns cant go.off.unless a person intentionally fires it) as an example, but im sure if you google accidental discharges nothing.will.show up.in the search results :rolleyes:

I never said im anti gun, I do go to the range still, I just dont plan on owning a gun. Hell I was in the army for 6 years, ive seen plenty of guns misfire(actually I havent cuz a gun cannot misfire :rolleyes: )

if you want to twist my.words around go for.it, but thats on you.

I hate to back his story but in 2009 there was a recall on the walther ppk for a faulty hammer block. This caused these guns to fire with out pulling the trigger and the hammer being down.

i was commenting more on all the laws he always pulls outta his ass lol....like no transporting with a magazine, no round being allowed in the chamber, not being able to carry in bars, etc etc....its always something......as for his story about the gun firing by itself, i guess its possible since youre saying its happened, but i think the chances are highly unlikely....if its just sitting in a nightstand and nobody is touching it, i dont see how it could possibly go off....perhaps the problems with the ppk were caused by dropping the gun or something? i wouldnt think anything could cause a gun to fire if its just sitting in a night stand undisturbed

I didnt say anyone broke a law... I said in SOME states. Also I said it isnt wise to carry a gun with a round in the chamber as it could lead to.an accidental discharge(cuz we all know a gun has never accidentally.discharged...) I also said I had a buddy killed by.an.accidental.discharge when the gun wasnt anywhere near.him(must not be true since guns cant go.off.unless a person intentionally fires it) as an example, but im sure if you google accidental discharges nothing.will.show up.in the search results :rolleyes:

I never said im anti gun, I do go to the range still, I just dont plan on owning a gun. Hell I was in the army for 6 years, ive seen plenty of guns misfire(actually I havent cuz a gun cannot misfire :rolleyes: )

if you want to twist my.words around go for.it, but thats on you.

its not even just this thread, its every one you post in....at least be informed about a subject before you spend time to try and argue it and tell people about it.

also, i dont believe in "accidental discharges" ....there are purposeful discharges, and negligent discharges....in the case wicked is talking about, i would like to see more details, but if it was truly a faulty mechanism, you could maybe pull the AD card....but i still think something would happen to cause it....guns dont just fire when theyre sitting untouched and undisturbed, especially modern guns

as for the guy you know, sorry you lost your friend, and i obviously cant tell you that it didnt happen because what do i know? i dont know the guy....but to me, it seems like there had to be more going on...although, my original comment was not about the discharge at all, it was about the laws you have floating around in your head

Edited by Steve Butters