Cop took my gun during traffic stop

wicked94s10

I would have just kept going if it was a park ranger. They are ass holes who think they are cops but don't have any actual authority other than they can call the real cops on you.

Wrong!

I see no problem with the officer removing your gun while you are stopped.

I personally would not do it, but I can understand the idea behind doing it. You got it back within minutes, so no big deal.

4th amendment issues don't apply since this isn't a seizure under the law, it's a temporary relocation of the item for the safety of the officer.

I would have just kept going if it was a park ranger. They are ass holes who think they are cops but don't have any actual authority other than they can call the real cops on you.
Tell a cop that! I expect they'll laugh. Rangers have the authority to ticket, but I don't believe they have near the depth of training as full blown police officers.

Park rangers, even unarmed rangers like those working for Columbus Metroparks, are all trained to the same OPOTA standards as any other Ohio police officer. All have power of arrest.

I wouldn't have a problem with the LEO wanting to hold my weapon during the stop. Nor would I have any problem with him/her returning it to me unloaded with the slide locked back. Basic safe gun handling practices are to never hand a loaded gun to someone. I would feel real uncomfortable handing a loaded gun to the cop, but I would expect they would prefer to get control of the weapon as soon as possible, as opposed to watching me clear it first. After he asked me to hand over the weapon I would probably just ask him if he'd like me to clear it first.

These guys aren't trying to be assholes, they just trying to keep themselves alive. They don't know who you are or what you're up to, and its wise for them to assume the worst and be pleased when nothing happens.

Well on the flip side I work with a guy who was stopped in cleveland and had his gun taken for weeks before it was found in the same officers personal locker, and not the evidence locker it was to be in. He never received a ticket, but his gun was taken by east cleveland to see why it was not registered.(bought from private sale) He was pissed to say the least.

We don't have registration. Even if you buy it from a FFL dealer.

Anyway... how is it safer to unholster my weapon and have an officer handle it' date=' versus just leaving it the damn holster?

Answer: It's not. Safety, my ass. Don't touch the gun, period.[/quote']

It makes the cop feel safer incase he decides to piss you off some more, thus preventing you from shooting him between the eyes :dunno:

IP it was east cleveland and basically the (dirty) cop liked his little shiny derringer and though he would not come looking for it. He did, and it was found but nothing was done. go figure.

An exarch if the guy was going to shoot the cop he would do it when he first walked up to the car not after he came back up. I think some cops just feel butt hurt that we can carry guns also.

He's got you there Pauly... the way you're indiscriminately murdering everyone that pisses you off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjJhs8_r1xk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

IP it was east cleveland and basically the (dirty) cop liked his little shiny derringer and though he would not come looking for it. He did, and it was found but nothing was done. go figure.

An exarch if the guy was going to shoot the cop he would do it when he first walked up to the car not after he came back up. I think some cops just feel butt hurt that we can carry guns also.

Im sure this cop takes everyones guns now, although this vid is in your favor, there are vids out there where they didnt open fire till after the ticket, but im just too lazy to look em up.

Edited by Exarch

http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_2dd02134-477f-11df-aba6-001cc4c002e0.html

Missoula Police Lt. Steve Brester, who led the investigation, said Jan. 1 wasn't the first time Davis had been on the wrong side of the law.

Davis was a registered violent offender with a criminal history going back 10 years, including a felony conviction for assault on a police officer.

You'll have to point out where he was LEGALLY carrying (considering his felony would preclude him from having a CHL, besides the fact it's illegal to carry and have alcohol in your system)...

Like I said he would shoot the first time not the second thanks for backing me up exarch...

I suppose if he wasnt carrying a weapon he could attempt to take the cops aswell...

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news/local/&id=147408105

Figured ide pull this up just cuz of the name, could this be paulys kid? :rolleyes: guess he should of borrowed his dads gun :lol:

But I do agree with you, in 95% of the cases they shoot first. And most people are nice too, until they get that ticket.

And most people are nice too, until they get that ticket.

and thats why Americans are retarded. Don't want a ticket? Don't speed. If you get caught accept the consequences, pay your fine and thank the man for doing his job

and I'm guessing Pauly's kid would outsmart you in about 10 seconds :lol:

and thats why Americans are retarded. Don't want a ticket? Don't speed. If you get caught accept the consequences, pay your fine and thank the man for doing his job

and I'm guessing Pauly's kid would outsmart you in about 10 seconds :lol:

WHAT! Accept a punishment for something you did wrong? That is unimaginable... People breaking the law dont need to be bothered by cops, they have more important things to worry about. And why are cops pulling people over? Shouldnt they be at Tim Hortons eating donuts or whatever? :rolleyes:

Well, your probably right on that one. My kid always hides crap on me and I can never find it...

No disrespect to the LEO on here but what are cops good for besides tickets? They never get there before a crime has happened and the criminal has fled, Besides earning revenue for the state or city by tickets what do they do? (besides go to calls in da hood to stop guys beating their wives) With the exception of maybe one or two LEO I have met most seem to have a power trip ego. Not my cup of tea, to serve and protect seems to be a thing of the past. Mostly seems to be to ticket and harass as of late.

I'm ok with getting a ticket for speeding, it happens a few times a year. I speed everytime I leave the house and expect a few tickets for it. Its like paying a toll to get places faster and having a reduced travel time

No disrespect to the LEO on here but what are cops good for besides tickets? They never get there before a crime has happened and the criminal has fled, Besides earning revenue for the state or city by tickets what do they do? (besides go to calls in da hood to stop guys beating their wives) With the exception of maybe one or two LEO I have met most seem to have a power trip ego. Not my cup of tea, to serve and protect seems to be a thing of the past. Mostly seems to be to ticket and harass as of late.

Wow...that's about the dumbest statement I've ever read...

How about this.

Imagine a society with laws and law enforcement.

Imagine no retribution for killing someone, imagine no speed limits on the roads.

I don't know about you, but that's not a world I want to live in...

I've had a few run ins with the law, included being incarcerated twice, and I've never met an LEO that wasn't 100% professional.

For what they do, what they risk, and what they get payed...i'm surprised anyone would do the job...

• Upvote 1

Imagine no speed limit, sounds like a thing called the autobahn. Seems to be a very safe road that polices itself

You can't compare the little bit of true Autobahn left plus the training the drivers over there have to go through, to the dumbasses that drive in our country.

Hell, even that road was designed for high speed, unlike our roads...

Keep trying...

Do you live in cleveland? I have met very few LEO that have been respectful and more who think they are judge/jury types. I have seen Lindale cops who would rather issue tickets then help a disabled car. Same with most cleveland LEO. I have seen them sit and shoot radar with a car less then 500 feet away with hazards on broken down. I have even passed a euclid Leo shooting radar with a car fire not much up the road. C-bus might be better but not up here.