Dayton Air Force Museum

scottb

I know I visited the Air Force Museum as a kid for a class field trip. At the time, I think I was too young to know what I was looking at.

Just seen a show that talked about Captian Joe Kittinger who was a pilot that tested high altitude fighter plane ejection parachutes from a height of 102,000 feet!! Freefall speed of 600 MPH.

The Dayton museum has that harness and the suit on display. How cool is that back in the 60's, the engineers figured all that stuff to make that jump happen.

I will have to take a trip to visit this place again.

Any other stand out items to look at while i am there?

Tons of stuff, there is the obvious things like Bockscar (B-29 Superfortress) that dropped the 2nd atomic bomb. I was there last year and had not been for a long time. Much more interesting as an adult, even though i loved it as a kid.

I just went last week. The whole place is awsome! Get there early and take your time. There is a lot to see. The best for me was the B-29 "Boxcar" that dropped the second bomb on Nagasaki. They also have "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" replicas i assume right beside it.

I need to go back sometime by myself. My 3yr. old son was getting alittle testie toward the end so i didnt really check everything out. To anyone that hasent been its a must do!

All the chicks like looking at the rockets out front. So big and strong and erect! :lol:

Last time I was there I really liked the SR71 blackbird. Talk about something that looks the part of a FAST vehicle. :)

Part of it is the fact I am not a aviation nut, but do like to see cool designs and the historic planes ( which would be why those items are in a museum.

Then, I'll revisit the AMA Motorcycle hall of Fame in Pickerington.

Get there early & sign up to take the tour to the Presidential and R&D hangars. They have the 707 that carried Kennedy's body back from Dallas, plus several other AF1 variants, an X15, XB70, and other things you'll probably never see anywhere else.

If you're into the restoration side of things, there's a tour of the resto shops, where they're currently restoring the original Memphis Belle among other things. You have to sign up well in advance for that tour, though.

I loved the Motorcycle Hall of Fame - its definitely worth the trip and tons of nostalgia to revel in.

I haven't been to the Airforce museum in almost 10 years, but I would like to plan a day to go back there too. I likes me some aviation and rocketry!

Yeah, they moved all of the R&D aircraft to a new hanger, they are all crammed in there and you really need to watch you head. The XB70 is one of the coolest aircraft I have ever seen, and they also have the test bed YF-12 which was the interceptor version of the SR71. Next to that is a prototype drone that could be carried on the back of the SR71. I could spend days in there.

You should get there early, you will want to spend the better part of the day. There is just so much to see and do there, but a day of riding other then getting there and going home, it isn't.

An excellent Family outing, and while your there, spring for the IMax, awesome. :D

Ride safe all,

Greg

Yeah, they moved all of the R&D aircraft to a new hanger, they are all crammed in there and you really need to watch you head. The XB70 is one of the coolest aircraft I have ever seen, and they also have the test bed YF-12 which was the interceptor version of the SR71. Next to that is a prototype drone that could be carried on the back of the SR71. I could spend days in there.

When I was there at Christmas, they seem to have changed it so you only get an hour over there (unless you can drive on base your self), then they did a sweep & had everybody get back on the bus.

When I was there at Christmas, they seem to have changed it so you only get an hour over there (unless you can drive on base your self), then they did a sweep & had everybody get back on the bus.

The museum isnt on base, so it doesnt matter if your military or not.

The prez/R&D hangar is on base, not the main museum.

Ahh, didn't realize that, ill have to check those out next time I take the family to the museum. I'm guessing they are in area A&C? I usually only go to area B and I dont remember seeing anything new out there.

To go to the R&D hanger you have to present your Drivers License at a sign in stand in the main museum. They take 40 or so people over at a time on a bus. Well worth the time. The Presidential collection is amazing along with the fact that you can walk through the planes.

The other section of the base has the ASC & B section requires a clearence pretty high.

Anyone have an idea? :rolleyes:

Ride safe all,

Greg

No section S that I know of, unless thats the commissary area? A&C connect, area B is off colonel Glenn & national. Go with someone who is military or borrow a car that has the sticker.

The other section of the base has the ASC & B section requires a clearence pretty high.

Anyone have an idea? :rolleyes:

Ride safe all,

Greg

The Presidential Hangar has all the old AF1 planes as well as most of the R&D stuff next door. Like others have said, just go to the main NMUSAF to sign up...so special clearances aren't required to get onto base.

Edited by ohdaho
whoops...meant to say arent required.

The Presidential Hangar has all the old AF1 planes as well as most of the R&D stuff next door. Like others have said, just go to the main NMUSAF to sign up...so special clearances are required to get onto base.

Ide be willing to take someone to those areas, ive never actually been to either of those hangers, so it'd be a new experience for me aswell.

If anyone is interested just send me a PM whenever and we can work something out. I usually visit the museum once every year or 2.