fuel efficient tow vehicle

ama146

I am looking at buying a used vehicle to tow my trailer for trackday and races. It is a 5x9 tractor supply co trailer that hauls two bikes. Total weight with genny is about 1600lbs. Anyone have any advice for a vehicle that wont break ny bank with gas usage when im not towing and can handle my tow load without struggling?

whats the price range? 1600 isnt much at all....there is an endless number of capable vehicles that also get good mpg

hell, i would say any modern crossover is in the high 20 to low 30 mpg range and would handle that just fine

as mentioned above, the ecoboost would be nice because you could add tents and whatever else in the bed if needed....its always nice having a truck....and those ecoboost f150s get great mpg

My inline-six 4wd 2002 Grand Cherokee is 2500 max front axle, 2950 max rear axle.

Towing capacity is 5000 max added to that.

5000-7000 bucks will buy a nice 8 to 10 year old Grand Cherokee.

Good reasonable priced towing hitches can be bought for both front and rear.

Motorcycle racks can be bought for both front and rear also.

Fuel mileage is maybe 21-23 on freeway and 16-17 city. Without the trailer.

Fuel injectors can be swapped for Bosch units that do much better. Both power and mileage.

edit: I think I'd look for a used V-8 Ford F-150 pickup to save money.

Probably more dependable than a Jeep also.

With a pickup, you might not need much of a trailer anyway. If at all.

Edited by ReconRat

I agree with this, more space available with the bed or you could fit bike, genny, gear, cooler etc almost in the bed alone.

Like into smaller pick-ups rangers, s-10, or a Dakota. There are so many different configurations for those trucks that you've got to be able to find one to your liking. 4,6 even v8. 6ft bed 8ft bed. 2 door 4door. But if your looking specifically for mileage a manual 2wd 4cyl ranger or s-10 would probably be your best bet.

I would skip the truck idea as well if you are looking for fuel efficiency. My wrx got 20.5mpg to and from nelson's this Saturday which matches some trucks. You should see what brian is getting out of his church van. MyKill's accord also seems like it is getting an insane mileage, and they are definitely reliable.

• Upvote 1

I would skip the truck idea as well if you are looking for fuel efficiency. My wrx got 20.5mpg to and from nelson's this Saturday which matches some trucks. You should see what brian is getting out of his church van. MyKill's accord also seems like it is getting an insane mileage, and they are definitely reliable.

ive seen accords towing bikes before, but i would think 1600lbs would take its toll on an accord transmission after awhile

ive seen accords towing bikes before, but i would think 1600lbs would take its toll on an accord transmission after awhile

Now that I think about it, you might be right. He could flip them every couple years to try and mitigate a problem occurring when he is using it, but that's a huge pain. A smaller crossover would probably work great then, as you mentioned.

1600 isn't much at all. Hell, an old Taurus probably gets 26 mpg highway and will probably tow 2,000 lbs.

For reference, I tow with a 2.7 Korean v6. Mileage on the way home today was 24.1

But I spent a lot more than $5k on it.

Just a 3 liter range and 4 liter ranger both get about 18mpg in real world mileage. The bigger engine tows a lot more though.

...but you don't need more. 3 liter v6 (the DOHC 24 valve engine is actually pretty powerful) should pull 1600 no problem, get good mileage, and fit your $5k price range.

My inline-six 4wd 2002 Grand Cherokee is 2500 max front axle, 2950 max rear axle.

Towing capacity is 5000 max added to that.

5000-7000 bucks will buy a nice 8 to 10 year old Grand Cherokee.

Good reasonable priced towing hitches can be bought for both front and rear.

Motorcycle racks can be bought for both front and rear also.

Fuel mileage is maybe 21-23 on freeway and 16-17 city. Without the trailer.

Fuel injectors can be swapped for Bosch units that do much better. Both power and mileage.

If you go the Jeep route my 02 grand Cherokee gets just a hair under those mpg's but with a V8 (14-15 city and 20-22 hwy). I tow a 18ft. fiberglass boat with it and it tows great. I dont know the exact weight of the boat and trailer but on the highway it will get high teens towing. Intown towing will murder the mpg's. Also if your TSC trailer has a beavertail gate ramp take that thing off. Its like a freaking parachute! Even if it has the expanded steel floor. I had a 6x10 trailer with one on it and you could really tell the difference with it on or off.

IMHO, the towing mpg is really inconsequential given how infrequently you'll really be towing.

If you're talking about a work truck that tows a trailer daily, that is much different than going to the track once a month.

I like the v6 in a ranger way better personally. They shutdown approx 94 mph though. :)

Just about anything would tow that weight so you have plenty of options. I personally would look at a truck and haul instead of tow probably, but I like trucks.

Edited by crb

The problem with most cars and suv's is space or lack of. There great for hauling people but When u start toting spares, a pop-up, camping supplies, chairs grill yadda yadda yadda there's nothing that works like a pickup. With u having an open trailer u want all the extra carrying space u can get. Plus having a truck is great if u need to make the occasional home depot run or furniture move.

This was just bumped in the market place and gave me and idea: http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=92711. If you get something with a higher fuel consumption for this kind of price, just put aside the full $5k for it and use the remaining for gas. Its like buying a new Prius for the gas mileage when you don't need a new car and wasting so much more $$ when factoring in the cost of the vehicle.

A Taurus is an awful idea. Very weak transmission.

2 wheel drive, 5 speed, 4cyl. Toyota

I've pulled 3 ATV's and a weekends worth of camping gear with a 4x4 on 31's to WV several times. It'll handle your trackday duties plus anything else you want within reason for many years with basic maintenence.