the little guy i kicked in the face and lived to tell the story.

cOoTeR

A couple of nights ago I accidentally kicked this guy in the face. I was working and walking down a two track dirt road at night. I had my flashlight on but didn't see him laying in my path. I felt a little bump on my boot like I kicked a small rock but at the same time I heard the infamous rattle of a pissed off snake. As I leapt away with my cat like reflexes I looked down to see its head about an inch from my boot as he was pulling back into the coiled strike position. It scared the crap outta me. It was about 2.5-3' long and about as big around as a kiwi.

picture.php?albumid=1404&pictureid=15961&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1404&pictureid=15960&thumb=1

I stomped one by accident one night in the dark, jumping from rock to rock in a park. I got away, but I had to stop the guy behind me from following. It probably died from the injuries, it was hissing and thrashing around.

It was a Habu pit viper, in Okinawa.

Kill it with fire!!

Considering all the wildfires going I think the state of Arizona would frown on me attempting that.

You did shoot it, right?

No its way too much paperwork to discharge my duty weapon and shooting snakes is not really acceptable. The guy I was working with encouraged me to beat it with my baton. I didn't see that going as well as I would hope so I left it alone. Also I figured he had every chance to bite me and didn't even strike so he got a pass. If this were at the house though this guy would have been introduced to my wifes taurus judge.

I stomped one by accident one night in the dark, jumping from rock to rock in a park. I got away, but I had to stop the guy behind me from following. It probably died from the injuries, it was hissing and thrashing around.

It was a Habu pit viper, in Okinawa.

That's nuts. What I've been told about stepping on snakes is with most of em if your actually walking and don't stop they miss ya but normally get the guy behind you. Finding a rattlesnake in the middle of the night is pretty scary when it breaks the silence. But screw messing with those foreign jungle snakes.

Glad you didn't kill it. I don't think you should kill them either (unless it can not be removed safely). Snakes are great, they eat mice and other little critters that annoy us. I know if you live in an area where there are deadly snakes you are suppose to wear proper boots and watch ware you walk.

if you do kill a snake at least make use of the skin.

I like snakes. Had some non-poisonous types in cages in the back yard when I was a kid. Mom wouldn't let them inside. We used to be able to order them from Louisiana Biological, and get them in the mail. The ads were in the back of the comic books. Until somebody ordered a poisonous snake here in Ohio, and it got out in a post office. That was the end of that. That company is long gone.

I freaked a couple of other soldiers at Ft Bragg out, walking through a pine forest at dusk. I saw a copperhead in front of us, sort of sleeping in the path. I sneaked up on it from behind, and grabbed it. It quickly gave up and played dead. I turned it loose later on in the woods.

I heard a friend's story of a Logan kid that showed up at home and showed off his "worms" he found. Baby copperheads. Quite deadly at birth. They just didn't feel like biting anyone yet.

There are a lot of snakes in Florida...

edit: the last one I caught in Florida, was in the shrubs around the house in Naples. Little green tree snake. Looks just like a certain tree viper that shouldn't be in Florida, but sometimes gets off container ships. Little guy was looking at me, it was so scared it pee'd. Of course, I dropped it. I was surprised how fast it could move when it wanted to get away.

Edited by ReconRat

Glad you didn't kill it. I don't think you should kill them either (unless it can not be removed safely). Snakes are great, they eat mice and other little critters that annoy us. I know if you live in an area where there are deadly snakes you are suppose to wear proper boots and watch ware you walk.

if you do kill a snake at least make use of the skin.

I wear over the ankle boots but with the amount of miles I walk and run through the desert snake boots aren't very practical. If a dangerous snake acts aggressive towards me its going down. We've got plenty of harmless ones that eat the mice and what not also. There are a lot of rattlesnakes here. Around the house there getting killed I'd rather have a dead snake than a dead dog or family member.

i love snakes....ill be buying an argentine boa sometime soon, and they get as big around as softball and about 10-14ft long

fuck spiders though...i kill the bastards, regardless of what kind or what size...

same with birds...i fucking hate birds

I wear over the ankle boots but with the amount of miles I walk and run through the desert snake boots aren't very practical. If a dangerous snake acts aggressive towards me its going down. We've got plenty of harmless ones that eat the mice and what not also. There are a lot of rattlesnakes here. Around the house there getting killed I'd rather have a dead snake than a dead dog or family member.

I agree on dead snake vs. dead love one. I am sure if I was in your state i would feel the same way, but I live in ohio so I dont have to deal with the deady snakes.:p

you got lucky!

I am in AZ. I moved down here in August for work. When I was in Ohio I've seen copperheads and water moacasins (how ever its spelled). A friend of mine in Delaware county had tore down a barn and let it sit a couple of years as he was selling of the lumber from it. Him and his son were clearing out some of the wood and when they lifted a piece there were two rattlesnakes under it about a foot long. So they are back home too just there's a lot more out here.