Curious about helmet law

Blitz

I am trying to better understand the helmet law in Ohio. I always wear mine but I am confused as to when it's legal not to.

If I am a licensed rider (passed the test and have endorsement) is it legal to ride without helmet? or is it licensed and been riding longer than one year?

Edited by Blitz

My understanding is that the helmet is required for one year after your endorsement date. After that - optional. I think also there is an under 18 requirement.

- Get caught under one year? Insta ticket.

My understanding is that the helmet is required for one year after your endorsement date. After that - optional. I think also there is an under 18 requirement.

all this is correct. Trust in the VFR riders, we're the proven smart people solely on the choice of 2 wheel pleasure :p

I found it in the ORC. Thanks guys

No person shall operate or be a passenger on a snowmobile or motorcycle without using safety glasses or other protective eye device. No person who is under the age of eighteen years, or who holds a motorcycle operator’s endorsement or license bearing a “novice” designation that is currently in effect as provided in section 4507.13 of the Revised Code, shall operate a motorcycle on a highway, or be a passenger on a motorcycle, unless wearing a protective helmet on the person’s head, and no other person shall be a passenger on a motorcycle operated by such a person unless similarly wearing a protective helmet. The helmet, safety glasses, or other protective eye device shall conform with rules adopted by the director of public safety. The provisions of this paragraph or a violation thereof shall not be used in the trial of any civil action.

Yup, also can't ride 2 up till the 1y endorsement either I believe.

Incorrect....after you get your endorsement, you can have a passenger, but you and they must be wearing a helmet for one year.

and if I wore a helmet for a year, I'd have some stinky hair.:D:D:D:D

I bet you're going to say you weren't wrong because "that's how it used to be" or "that's how it is in another state".

Even after the orc was posted :lol:

• Upvote 2

If you violate this law and don't have a helmet with you, your bike will also most likely get towed.

Having said that, please wear a helmet.

Mary

I think I just had my first "AH HA" moment here. Now I understand why people ride with no helmet but lock one on their bike. JUST IN CASE they get pulled over that way their bike doesn't get towed!

Genius idea!!! :wtf:

Our expert in all that is incorrect and bullshit strikes again. At least his posts are becoming easier to read and comprehend.

If you violate this law and don't have a helmet with you, your bike will also most likely get towed.

Having said that, please wear a helmet.

Mary

hasn't been the case here, not sure if that is an option or not. (any LEOs want to chime in?)

I think I just had my first "AH HA" moment here. Now I understand why people ride with no helmet but lock one on their bike. JUST IN CASE they get pulled over that way their bike doesn't get towed!

Genius idea!!! :wtf:

Know a guy who has gotten 3 tickets for this already, didn't have his helmet on the bike either, just shrugged, signed the ticket, paid it and kept riding.