Gap Tires (practice what i preach thread)

2talltim

OK doing some pre trip inspections today and when it comes to the tires I'm scratching my head. The front is 70+% so its good. The rear is right there to be 50/50 for this trip. The center is maybe 25% left, the right 12-1 o'clock area is maybe 35%, the left 11-12 o'clock area is maybe 50%, the far outside is over 70%. As you can tell I'm far better at making rights than lefts. I'll post a pic in a few but i don't think it will tell much. What ya ll think take my own advise and make sure i have 50%+ tire for this trip or am i being over cautious? FYI im trailering down. Tires will take a huge chunk out of travel budget and if i get new ones it will be a pair not just a rear(i like matching tires), my cheapest option would be goto IP and get another PR1 mounted on the rear so i have amtch set( but i really not a fan of these any more)

photobucket-7890-1338150343639.jpg

photobucket-1008-1338150327597.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

Since you are trailering down you should be fine. My rear was very similar to that last weekend before I went down to the gap but I rode down. I was concerned but it ended up no problem. The most wear occurred on the ride down and back. When I was down there the wear that did occur was mostly on the sides of the tire so it actually evened out.

Have fun and ride safe!

i think as long as ryan can get me a set in and mounted this weekend im just going to change them, ive never liked the feel of these anyway...if anyone wants these for free let me know before they going the scrap pile at Hoblicks

Ryan just spooned on some Road 3s if you want to stop by and give them a test ride.

That tempting but i dont like getting on someone elses bike, i dont even like throwing a leg over them unless im invited to or have a damn good reason to. Im just funny about that

Anyway ive got a appointment with Hobs on thursday to get a set of PR2's, i figure even if they lasted the trip i need a set when i got back.

Ryan is the man! New powers on mine last weekend to replace the worn PR2's I had. My rear was a bit more worn than yours though. They will look nice sitting next to yours in the trailer next week :D

Ryan is the man! New powers on mine last weekend to replace the worn PR2's I had. My rear was a bit more worn than yours though. They will look nice sitting next to yours in the trailer next week :D

The deciding factor for me was when i found out the were 180/55 i swear i paid for 190/55 and thats what my receipt said if i could find it. Plus i never really liked the PR1's in the twisties, never really had confidence in them. ill need to hit some local twisties next weekend to brake them in on familiar roads.

Edited by 2talltim

You could always do a burn out to toast the old set. :D On secod thought don't do that....

thats what i did with my last 2 sets, the last ones i accually made a smiley face in the road in front of the house, you can still kinda see it:D..but i still need to ride to hob's if it isnt raining. If its raining im going to just take him my wheels.

The deciding factor for me was when i found out the were 180/55 i swear i paid for 190/55 and thats what my receipt said if i could find it. Plus i never really liked the PR1's in the twisties, never really had confidence in them. ill need to hit some local twisties next weekend to brake them in on familiar roads.

I would think you would want 190's. The PR2's will be great in the twisties though. I never lacked confidence with them at all. I just needed to feel a fresh set of powers again! They just beg to be leaned on, and the gap will be perfect to do that!

thats what i did with my last 2 sets, the last ones i accually made a smiley face in the road in front of the house, you can still kinda see it:D..but i still need to ride to hob's if it isnt raining. If its raining im going to just take him my wheels.

Just squid it out you'll br fine ;)

I would think you would want 190's. The PR2's will be great in the twisties though. I never lacked confidence with them at all. I just needed to feel a fresh set of powers again! They just beg to be leaned on, and the gap will be perfect to do that!

i do want 190's, what i was saying was the one on there now are 180/55 and i thought they were 190/55's any way the stock tire for my bike is 190/50 and thats what im puting back on it.

If you're in doubt.. change that tire. No sense chancing it' date=' Tim. Especially with your relationship with rain clouds.[/quote']

kinda my motto most of the time, just suxs to spent the money, but ryan is hookin me up thursday now. On the rain thing you sure your not confusing me with ben?..lol

i think as long as ryan can get me a set in and mounted this weekend im just going to change them, ive never liked the feel of these anyway...if anyone wants these for free let me know before they going the scrap pile at Hoblicks

I'm always looking for free 180/55/17 tires that are worn out. If anyone brings them to Fontana it would be appriciated. Or near Reynoldsburg sunday afternoon.