Safety wiring brake pad pins

ama146

Is there a "right" way to do this? I know MotoSeries requires them to be safety wired so I want to make sure I do it the right way before the next event. Pics of your pins wired would help a ton!

15307fe2.jpg

cbef5492.jpg

Not a bad way to do it, but when you add in the wire for the caliper bolts, you got a whole lot of wire going on. If you do what we do, you'll not only use less wire, but it is cleaner with the bolts...

Just a suggestion and certainly isn't wrong the way you are doing it.

Is there a way to do it without drilling? I will drill if I have to, but if it can be avoided I would certainly prefer to not drill.

If you are seriously racing, you need to drill. But, you CAN get away with silicone, but it is a mess, has to be redone every time you change pads and honestly, not sure if Moto Series or other orgs will accept...

If you are seriously racing, you need to drill. But, you CAN get away with silicone, but it is a mess, has to be redone every time you change pads and honestly, not sure if Moto Series or other orgs will accept...

You mean like KY?

Alright guys thanks, I know what I need to do. I will just drill it and do it right and not be a lazy POS lol.

Do not drill the pin retaining bolt, the R6 is different and doesn't screw in like the honda. Remove the R clips and wire around the pads, I can take a picture tomorrow to demonstrate. Wire the caliper bolts like Brian demonstrated and use the pins you can close, you can buy them at lowes or home depot.

Silicone can't be any more of a hassle than drilling.

It isn't really a good band-aide and honestly, if allowed, you have to clean it off to remove the pins, you then have to redab it back on to secure it and do it soon enough to set up to be useful.

Wired, it needs drilled initially, but once done, you zip the wire on fast and off you go. I can do the Zook pins in probably 10 seconds...

But, the RC8 has one piece calipers and that is all a thing of the past!:D

Okay here is how Nate and I do ours:

Nate's:

5569314544_b2fbe4e934.jpg

He removed the metal piece that typically goes over the pin and between the pads, I keep mine in as I prefer it to have in so the pads don't move around at all.

Mine:

R6calipersafetywire.jpg

Also I use the clips for my caliper bolts as it makes it easier for tire changes, were as they are not used in nate's original picture when he first did it.

insider secret: only need one per side ;)

less work

Double insider secret, the safety wire job on your last remaining pinch bolt will do nothing to retain it in it's hole if it comes loose. :D You are actually running a negative safety on your wire that will only promote the pinch bolt coming loose over the long term. :nono: