Safety wiring brake pad pins

ama146

Okay here is how Nate and I do ours:

Nate's:

5569314544_b2fbe4e934.jpg

He removed the metal piece that typically goes over the pin and between the pads, I keep mine in as I prefer it to have in so the pads don't move around at all.

Mine:

R6calipersafetywire.jpg

Also I use the clips for my caliper bolts as it makes it easier for tire changes, were as they are not used in nate's original picture when he first did it.

Take those plates out. They are only there to keep the pads quiet for street riders... They are of no value at the track...

insider secret: only need one per side ;)

less work

Actually used to do this also, but when I saw the issue it caused on the Suzuki, I have always used both now. The pinch amount needed to hold the axle isn't as high and even with just one bolt...

I did a test and in fact even with the RC8, it is the same result. Even though it would take a huge amount of stress, the axle doesn't get as secure with one bolt vs two...

Double insider secret, the safety wire job on your last remaining pinch bolt will do nothing to retain it in it's hole if it comes loose. :D You are actually running a negative safety on your wire that will only promote the pinch bolt coming loose over the long term. :nono:

Correct. He should at worse, have the hole running horizontal to the ground and would be a better way. The diaper pins really are nice for pinch bolts, but limit the way to secure the bolts. Same with the caliper bolts.

We all do it, though. I am guilty also. However, I try on the caliper bolts to have the top one and bottom one at an angle to at least try and have some tension on them, but again, to do it correctly, diaper pins need to be tossed and just use safety wire...

VF-

Here's how I do my pinch bolts. They are not really pulling in the tighten direction, but should secure from loosening. Note: This is before I decided to use the two pinch bolts...

Axlefront.jpg

Here is how I do my caliper bolts. Again, in an effort to secure them as best as possible with diaper pins.

Calipers.jpg

anyways, thread topic

AMA - whatever you do, leave enough loop length to NOT effect the pads at all. The wire should not be touching or pulling the pads in tighter, the only purpose is just to keep the retaining pin from falling out.

mine is about 2 finger widths and change long and then looped over.