Vacation ideas

grapesmuggler27

Looking on taking a vacation with a 7 year old girl and a 5 year old girl. Looking for somewhere within driving distance, 6-8 hours driving from Columbus. We have talked about the obvious spots like Gatlinburg and possibly Niagra. Seeing if any of you know of maybe a hidden paradise you would recommend. Looking at early September time frame

Gatlinburg has a cool aquarium, and Pigeon Forge has fun stuff for kids too. Maybe plot out 3 or 4 stops for multitudes of fun vs. a single destination?

But Gatlinburg is always so busy and OVERPRICED! For what it is. And to be honest the aquarium at Newport is just as good if not better

Letchworth State Park is a cool one. Not popular, and in my opinion, blows Niagara away. ... if you are looking for waterfalls. I think in that general area there are a lot of state parks to check out.

http://nysparks.com/parks/79/details.aspx

Looks promising, been there? Besides the state park anything else in the area?

Niagra Falls is good for a weekend trip, we took the kids up there last year over labor day weekend. Stopped at mansfield reformatory on the way, I think that they loved that more than the falls. On the way back we smuggled some grapes in PA, they loved the whole don't get caught part ;)

Chicago looks like there would be plenty to do at the navy pier and not to hateful on the wallet from what my friends have said.

I like the state park idea, maybe mix the state park in with Chicago?

First trip to ORD was about 10ish and loved it. Went up the Hancock tower that year, Sears tower a few years later. Hit the Pier up for the ferris wheel, mini golf, etc.

Just make sure you Eat at Ed Debevics. Also FAO Schwartz would be like their paradise when you visit the towers. Oh and true deep dish pizza, forget the name, but some little place right on the river had some great pies.

Could also catch a Cubs game too. Kids seem to enjoy about 7 innings of baseball, then they fall asleep lol.

Looks promising, been there? Besides the state park anything else in the area?

I've been there. Was awesome. It has been probably over 10 years since I was last there, but it is by far more pleasing to look at than Niagara falls. If you want to see a gigantic waterfall with a lot of water and spend about 10 mins looking at it, go to Niagara. If you want a calm and simply very pleasing to the eye location where you can walk and have fun, Letchworth State Park.

At the time we could walk down to the water, climb up rocks, look over cliffs. Really cool.

It has been so long since I hit that location up, I'll have to hit up my Grandmother who I used to visit and she took me to all these different places. She probably has a few suggestions. I just forgot the names of everything.

i'll send her a message and get back to you soon.

Type in Letchworth State Park in Google and then look at images. Also, Letchworth is not too far from Niagara, so you could probably make a day ride to Niagara and come back without having to pay for hotels fees in that area. Also, unless you have passports, you are pretty limited to what you can see in Niagara.

We went to Washington dc/Maryland last year. Helps thats where I was born and my parents still live there. 8 hour drive with multiple potty breaks for the little ones. We stayed for a week and did six flags, Baltimore aquarium and harbor, got tickets to go to the top of the Washington monument an tour the white house (planned well in advance), walked the plaza and visited a couple of the smithsonian museums and just 2 more hours east we went to rehobooth beach and spent a day at the ocean. pretty fun filled vacation with lots of fun/educational/cool things for the kiddies to remember. They still talk about it to this day and are already asking if we're going back this summer.

Virginia Beach. I think its 9 hours from Cbus but they had TONS of family oriented stuff. I went off season and with a couple buddies and it was a good time for us but way more suited for families