Need to boost MiFi signal. Geeks, please chime in!

Moto-Brian

So, we have to use the Verizon MiFi units in our home to get internet and ability to do work from home. We cannot get cable or DSL and know that the DISH stuff is crazy expensive and very limited. Thus, the Verizon MiFi...

We are on the skirt of 4G and 3G. Not a big issue using the 3G, but Verizon's 3G is painfully slow compared to ATT. ATT at our house is skirting 3G and Edge...

So, if we are skirting both, I would rather try and amp the signal to get that 4G signal. Plus, if we can boost the 3G signal on both MiFis, I'd be happy with that also...

So, heard that the zBoost YX545 SOHO is an option, but I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I just want to buy something and it work really good. MiFi so far is having me so pissed that we moved in to the country that I get to the point I almost give up trying to do anything internet related...

Any thoughts or suggestions? We are locked into a 2 year deal with Verizon and have about 18 months left before we could change, etc...

So, we have to use the Verizon MiFi units in our home to get internet and ability to do work from home. We cannot get cable or DSL and know that the DISH stuff is crazy expensive and very limited. Thus, the Verizon MiFi...

We are on the skirt of 4G and 3G. Not a big issue using the 3G, but Verizon's 3G is painfully slow compared to ATT. ATT at our house is skirting 3G and Edge...

So, if we are skirting both, I would rather try and amp the signal to get that 4G signal. Plus, if we can boost the 3G signal on both MiFis, I'd be happy with that also...

So, heard that the zBoost YX545 SOHO is an option, but I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I just want to buy something and it work really good. MiFi so far is having me so pissed that we moved in to the country that I get to the point I almost give up trying to do anything internet related...

Any thoughts or suggestions? We are locked into a 2 year deal with Verizon and have about 18 months left before we could change, etc...

Your best option is a external antenna, and I'm not talking about those stupid stickers either. On the MiFi there should be a plug to accept an external antenna, it should be round and kinda resemble a mini coax connection. Here's a few options I found on amazon. I've done NO research into if these are better external ant's then others, I just wanted to point out options.

Here's one that looks like it's suited for a car: http://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Verizon-Hotspot-external-antenna/dp/B006SKO09S

Since you're using this in a house, it might behoove you to mount a more permanent solution. These antennas are called Yagi's, which mean that they are very high power and also VERY directional. Once you figure out where the tower is, you just point these babies at it and it should take care of the rest. http://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Verizon-Hotspot-External-Periodic/dp/B007TQ3I1G/ref=pd_cp_cps_3

Any antenna solution, however, will only boost the reception of signal at the house, it won't be a solution for handoffs between 4G and 3G. For that you would have to go back to Verizon and see what they can do.

Your best option is a external antenna, and I'm not talking about those stupid stickers either. On the MiFi there should be a plug to accept an external antenna, it should be round and kinda resemble a mini coax connection. Here's a few options I found on amazon. I've done NO research into if these are better external ant's then others, I just wanted to point out options.

Here's one that looks like it's suited for a car: Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L external antenna & antenna adapter cable 3db: Cell Phones & Accessories

Since you're using this in a house, it might behoove you to mount a more permanent solution. These antennas are called Yagi's, which mean that they are very high power and also VERY directional. Once you figure out where the tower is, you just point these babies at it and it should take care of the rest. Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L External Log Periodic yagi antenna highest gain: Cell Phones & Accessories

Any antenna solution, however, will only boost the reception of signal at the house, it won't be a solution for handoffs between 4G and 3G. For that you would have to go back to Verizon and see what they can do.

Beat ya to it :p

Cheech has the correct answer with the YAGI's, even though he once directed someone to install AV on Exchange server stores.

installing AV on Exchange server stores? When did I do that? If you show me where I said that a serious piece of advice, I'll curb-stomp my own head.

Here's one that looks like it's suited for a car: Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L external antenna & antenna adapter cable 3db: Cell Phones & Accessories

Since you're using this in a house, it might behoove you to mount a more permanent solution. These antennas are called Yagi's, which mean that they are very high power and also VERY directional. Once you figure out where the tower is, you just point these babies at it and it should take care of the rest. Amazon.com: Novatel Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L External Log Periodic yagi antenna highest gain: Cell Phones & Accessories

That yagi deal is a shit pile cheaper than the example I mentioned. Is it a better choice than the zBoost ya think? Would I need one for each MiFi? I have two currently...

That yagi deal is a shit pile cheaper than the example I mentioned. Is it a better choice than the zBoost ya think? Would I need one for each MiFi? I have two currently...

I believe you need a single antenna per device. I've never tried splitting the antenna feed so I can't speak intelligently on if it's a good idea or not, but with the limited RF/cell knowledge I have I don't think it is.

It looks like the zBoost is a cell signal repeater, which means it takes whatever signal it finds and boosts it through the receiver and out its internal antenna. That would be nice if you've got a signal problem with, say, your MiFi's AND your cell phones that are all on the same carrier. Since your problem is localized to the MiFi's, and those devices are already set up to accept a external antenna anyway, buying a repeater doesn't make sense.

http://www.wilsonamplifierstore.com/wilson-801865-4g-lte-700-amplifier-kit

The Wilson Amplifier shit is DA BOMB!!!!

/Thread... this is a yagi antenna to pic up the signal from the carrier as well as an amplifier which would have enough boost to cover your entire house and probably yard/woods :)

The new Wilson 5 band should be out soon which is 3/4G but im sure out of your price range.

Wilson AG Pro-Quint Five-Band 3G/4G Adjustable Gain 75 dB Signal Booster - 803570

Edited by flounder

http://www.wilsonamplifierstore.com/wilson-801865-4g-lte-700-amplifier-kit

The Wilson Amplifier shit is DA BOMB!!!!

/Thread... this is a yagi antenna to pic up the signal from the carrier as well as an amplifier which would have enough boost to cover your entire house and probably yard/woods :)

The new Wilson 5 band should be out soon which is 3/4G but im sure out of your price range.

Wilson AG Pro-Quint Five-Band 3G/4G Adjustable Gain 75 dB Signal Booster - 803570

This Wilson dealio for $400... Is this for just 4G? Looks to be so for the LTE market, but I may need it to be 3G compatible if the 4G signal isn't possible to grab even with the device like this...

I just want fucking better internet speeds, man! :D

This Wilson dealio for $400... Is this for just 4G? Looks to be so for the LTE market, but I may need it to be 3G compatible if the 4G signal isn't possible to grab even with the device like this...

I just want fucking better internet speeds, man! :D

Yes for 4G LTE only which is what the mifi uses.. 3g/4g are different so you would need different units until the new wilson 5 band model comes out which will surely be expensive. That wilson kit comes with the amp and the yagi antenna both.

If you can get any 4g signal now, that yagi will increase you almost 5-10x. :)

Jut call them and make sure it works for data as well.. The people at Wilson know their shit.. Give them a call.

Edited by flounder

Yes for 4G LTE only which is what the mifi uses.. 3g/4g are different so you would need different units until the new wilson 5 band model comes out which will surely be expensive. That wilson kit comes with the amp and the yagi antenna both.

If you can get any 4g signal now, that yagi will increase you almost 5-10x. :)

Jut call them and make sure it works for data as well.. The people at Wilson know their shit.. Give them a call.

flounder knows his shit. If you're teetering on receiving a 4G signal as it is with that piddly little internal MiFi antenna, this will lock that shit in solid as long as you properly mount and point the yagi antennas. Also it will serve as a repeater for the rest of your cell devices as well, as long as they play with 4G LTE.

My mistake, log files. But same thing!! :lol:

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=92409

you haz me confuzed wif blosser, I was mainly asking about the home NAS drives. I learned my lesson about logfiles long ago in dealing with Exchange 2003, those things need to be kept the hell away from the information store...