places to vacation in michigan?

oldschoolsdime92

Sleeping bear dunes is 8 flippin hours away and boring unless you are into wine tasting and don't mind driving 30 miles between every attraction. Worst vacation ever imo.

We stayed at a campground. Don't remember the name and it wasnt that great anyway.

Silver Lake Dunes. Just make sure your quad is up to DNR regs. (spark arrestor, db levels). When i went we camped at Yogi Bear campgrounds. I think that was the name of the campgrounds. Anyway that campground was a joke. After riding all day then getting camp set up and a fire going it was maybe 9:30-10pm. Some retired volunteer campsite worker rolls up on his golf cart

Him: Its quiet time at the campgrounds fellas.

Me: I'm sorry were we being to loud?

Him: No....it's time to pack it in for the night.

Me: As in i need to go get in my tent and go to sleep?

Him: Yes

Me: Well i dont see a problem with being quiet and enjoying a campfire.

Him: I'll give you a few minutes to get squared away and i will be back around.

Me: Whatever..

A little while later........

Him: Ok guys time to get to sleep.

Me: I think im going to just quietly sit here and enjoy the fire for awhile

Him: Its after quiet time at the campground it time to get in your tents.

Me: Well do what you gotta do i'll be here by the fire.

He leaves and that was the end of that. I mean seriously, its not like we were some kids acting all kiddley disturbing people. I'm a grown ass man and your going to tell me to go to sleep at 10pm-ish.

Silver Lake Dunes. Just make sure your quad is up to DNR regs. (spark arrestor, db levels). When i went we camped at Yogi Bear campgrounds. I think that was the name of the campgrounds. Anyway that campground was a joke. After riding all day then getting camp set up and a fire going it was maybe 9:30-10pm. Some retired volunteer campsite worker rolls up on his golf cart

Him: Its quiet time at the campgrounds fellas.

Me: I'm sorry were we being to loud?

Him: No....it's time to pack it in for the night.

Me: As in i need to go get in my tent and go to sleep?

Him: Yes

Me: Well i dont see a problem with being quiet and enjoying a campfire.

Him: I'll give you a few minutes to get squared away and i will be back around.

Me: Whatever..

A little while later........

Him: Ok guys time to get to sleep.

Me: I think im going to just quietly sit here and enjoy the fire for awhile

Him: Its after quiet time at the campground it time to get in your tents.

Me: Well do what you gotta do i'll be here by the fire.

He leaves and that was the end of that. I mean seriously, its not like we were some kids acting all kiddley disturbing people. I'm a grown ass man and your going to tell me to go to sleep at 10pm-ish.

silver lake is badass so is baycity and grand haven was pretty the sand and lake is beautiful

Macinaw Island is cool, but def with a wife or GF type place. Kinda expensive. ATVs on the dunes is a riot. -- Other than that, I wouldnt go to MI on purpose.

- Ive had to go to Detroit many times for job related stuff. Whata dump....

I guess you have to love the great lakes to enjoy Michigan. I loved it up there. The snowmobiling in the winter is crazy and the lakes are clean and clear, at least when I was there. They just have a shitty college up there that isn't called OSU :D I have more OSU in me than most and I still enjoy the place.

Just had this discussion at the barber shop today actually with 2 locals from MI that relocated when GM cut people before the buyout.

Mack. is awesome, love the bridge, fort, Island, everything. Would be great place to take a fiance' lots of quaint shops, and nice places to eat and hangout.

Frankenmuth is on the way or close enough to visit, cool place. Maybe hit the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village as well. A reminder the Ford plant was where a lot of the war efforts from WWII were taken care of and there's a rich history there of Ford and the plants assistance during the war.

Dunes are cool for like 2 hrs, then unless you have an ATV, rent an ATV, or bring a crap load of beer, I would visit and leave.

Some closer areas that are nice, are areas like West Bloomfield, Brooklyn if you're into Nascar and want to hit MIS.

And the bridge ........never been on a bridge that gets closed due to high winds. That and the metal grating you drive on....can see clear down to the water which I think is 400 or 500 feet. (I could be wrong)

Also, when its windy and open, they make traffic go one way only, cars must be on the non wind side of loaded semi's to block the wind and speed match. Not to mention the 8ft of snow they get up there every winter at Lake Superior State college and around.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictured rocks (west side of UP) is beautiful and there's a couple towns close by if you're not into camping. There are some really nice short hikes and beaches there too.

My fam has a cabin on the east side of the UP, but honestly I probably wouldn't purposely vacation there if we didn't have someplace to stay already. However,

when we're there, we go see the bears at Oswald's Ranch, this time of year they will probably have a cub that you can hold.

Traverse city is also really nice, good beaches, some nice kayaking/canoeing too.