Stuck in an exhaust repack project, need advice

smashweights

So I got my Super Sport Premium packing in today, picked up a riveter, and set out to shut my noisy D&D up a little bit. Rivets came out easily and I got all the brackets off just fine, but the carbon fiber is a sleeve over the internal part that is one big welded unit that I just can't figure out how to get off. I tried putting a dowel down the sides inside the carbon fiber sleeve but it's not moving and I don't have a good way to anchor it in place either. I got it this far by slamming the back end on the ground :dunno: Yes, I clearly did not think this all the way through. In my defense, I figured once one of the ends was clear of the sleeve it would be a lot easier to move, not so. Below is a pic of where I'm at right now.

599489_10100178381778676_794308834_n.jpg

Where did you get the repack material?

Bought the repack material from Motorsports of Utah's website. Though, there were plenty of places that sold it.

BUT, I figured it out! There was just enough misalignment between the carbon sleeve and the end piece that I put it up against a block of wood to hold the sleeve in place then used a wood block to hammer the other end and voila! Popped right out! The original D&D packing was a fiberglass mat that was shrink wrapped on as tight as humanly possible, probably nullifying any muffling qualities.

The Silent Sport Premium was pretty easy to install: just put the sleeve halfway on and wrap chunks of it around in circles while packing it down with a dowel rod. Once it got to the top, had to use my fingers to pack in then mallet the unit back together.

True to form, I screwed it up first time around: put the sleeve on backwards :cry: and had to repack it. BUT now that it's on, it's really a whole new muffler. It's not as quiet as most stock pipes, but it's much better now and a lot more throaty and a lot of that hollowed out, high-pitched, unmuffled sound is gone. More "WOM WOM WOM" instead of "WAM WAM WAM!!!"

Definitely worth considering for quieting any can down. The 450g bag was just enough with some leftover to do my rather small volume D&D can, YMMV though.

Video audio uploaded. Helps to use headphones a bit to hear the low end, audio is not the best (smartphone vid), but I think you can clearly hear the difference.

Original D&D Packing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhUK6z82Bg

Silent Sport Packing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvoX7FMEuJk

Edited by smashweights