truck fram rust - oil spray it?

ama146

i just bought a new truck (used) and the body is in awesome shape, but the frame has rust on it. i would like to stop the rust asap so it doesnt get worse because i plan on keeping this truck for a long time. so would it be best to leave it as-is, take it to a oil spray place and just let them go at it? or would it be better to scrape the rust off, paint it, THEN get it undercoated with the oil? i want to do the least amount of work because i simply dont have that much free time, and the little free time i do have i dont want to spend it working even more. also, any idea how much it would cost to take my truck to a paint shop and have them prep and coat the frame with a heavy duty rust paint?

agree...do it right the first time even if it takes a little extra time. I've had to do this several times on trucks for my company and you'd be amazed how much better it is than the shortcuts we had done in the past

Scrape/wire brush all the loose rust off and use the POR-15:

Mask off anything you may want to remove in the future (brake line connections, bolts, etc.)

If you go this route, i'd be interested in a group buy. That stuff is a little cheaper if you buy in bulk and I need to do this to my trucks.

Mask off anything you may want to remove in the future (brake line connections, bolts, etc.)

If you go this route, i'd be interested in a group buy. That stuff is a little cheaper if you buy in bulk and I need to do this to my trucks.

On your brand new 4 runner :D

Me too actually, my F250 needs some serious love on the frame. I did the wheel wells last summer with rustoleum primer with rust stopper and rustoleum paint as well, but would like to do it real good this summer.

I may actually have a guy too that can get this cheaper too. I need to tlak to him about my race bodywork sometime next month and was going to mention this to him too.

John has the hook up for everything, you need a good price on peanut butter john knows someone

I just know alot of good people ya know. Yeah, I'll give Jason a call, I think dad was taking the classic back to him to have some more bodywork redone soon, so I'll run out there with him and discuss. We used POR on our 55 restore to help the frame and its awesome!

• 2 weeks later...