Is 12 too young for blond highlights?

Gump

if she wants to do it you are not paying for it, thats kinda how my parents did it, so if we wanted to do something that wasn't unsafe but my parents didn't want to support it they would say "we aren't against you doing that however it's not something we are going to help you with" i'd say about half the time my brother and I didn't go beyond that point.

You have to let them have fun and be kids and you want them to know that if they ask your permission for stuff like this there is a good chance you will allow it otherwise they will stop asking and stop talking to you about what is going on in their life. I rebelled as a teenager because my parents were too strict and I wasn't allowed do anything so I just stopped asking and did what I wanted. My daughter is 15 1/2 now just got her permit yesterday she knows her boundaries and rules and doesn't risk crossing them because she values her freedom and our trust. If she leaves for a friends house I know she is where she said she will be and if she leaves even to walk to the store down the road she texts us.

I say she is to young, but it is summer and school is out. So maybe some temporary only for summer. Hopefully she will grow out of this stage by then.

good luck! the next few years are a roller coaster with girls!

Im flip flopping but I think once I've got them for the summer we might try the $10 highlight kit together. Might be fun. She can have highlights if she waxes my back:D.. I think my concern comes from why are you so worried about your hair, but im not a girl so i guess its what they do. I have no issues with highlights.

Edited by Gump

My issue with it is she is not learning to be comfortable/ happy with herself. Society has made image such a huge thing young girls don't feel like they are pretty unless they are stick skinny caked in make up and so far from their original self it is hard to recognize them.

My issue with it is she is not learning to be comfortable/ happy with herself. Society has made image such a huge thing young girls don't feel like they are pretty unless they are stick skinny caked in make up and so far from their original self it is hard to recognize them.

:confused: Girls AREN'T pretty unless they're skinny and blonde :confused:

I think my concern comes from why are you so worried about your hair,

:wtf:

are you serious? is this the first female you have ever met or spent any time with? you have a kid, so it would appear you have had contact with another at some point in time... although you could have adopted...

protip: women often care about their hair and the way it looks.

asking why is like asking why do you need so many shoes. as men we will never comprehend it. just accept it as a fact of life and move on.

(another protip: women, unlike men, often have more than 2 pairs of shoes. they often also have multiple purses for different occasions... just to prepare you) ;):D

Edited by John

Its hair.... so if she had blonde hair some low lights would be out as well? How about boys, mohawks are questionable? Its her way to express herself. She isn't going to be in pigtails and ribbons forever. ;)
I don't see what the big deal is. It's just hair color.

Hair grows back/out, ya should let her have fun with it before she grows up and can't because it is "unprofessional"

It's just Hair! Let the kids be creative and express themselves. When my kids were younger (1 girl 12, 1 boy 10) we would have a hair party once a summer. $10 highlight kit from Walmart (usually fire Red or Neon Blue) and we all help do eachothers highlights, was fun, and it grows out. This only lasted about 2 summers.

Come on Gump be that fun parent and add some highlights too.

Honestly, take her to Walmart buy the $10 kit let her and her friends complete the project. It will probably look like a mess and chances are she will never want highlits again. Solved!:D

Great Idea

but is that why? or is she just wanting to experiment with who she is and how she wants to look? I know I did at that age.

:confused: Girls AREN'T pretty unless they're skinny and blonde :confused:

Some days I think that, but I the world sucks

• Upvote 1

The only opinion that matters here is the OP's. If he's not comfortable with it, then that's valid, but I think his daughter is entitled to an explanation as well.

"you're too young" isn't an explanation. "I don't want you to feel like you have to look older, and your hair is nice the way it is" is getting closer.

11 is old enough to understand, of not be totally rational in that understanding.

Enjoy your daughter while she's 11. Highlights will be the least of your worries in a few years.

Hair grows back/out, ya should let her have fun with it before she grows up and can't because it is "unprofessional"

Great Idea

but is that why? or is she just wanting to experiment with who she is and how she wants to look? I know I did at that age.

Some days I think that, but I the world sucks

I agree 100%!!! Its not like she asked to be put in birth control lol

I've got a daughter that I'm bringing up myself. I had no problem with her getting her hair or makeup done. I'd actually take her to have it done by friends in the industry. Nordstrom's for the make up, and Studio Posh for the hair. She felt good about herself, I'd flow some money to my friend's, and get an excuse to hang a bit.

Good way to pick up teh ladiez too.:leghump:

:wtf:

are you serious? is this the first female you have ever met or spent any time with? you have a kid, so it would appear you have had contact with another at some point in time... although you could have adopted...

protip: women often care about their hair and the way it looks.

asking why is like asking why do you need so many shoes. as men we will never comprehend it. just accept it as a fact of life and move on.

(another protip: women, unlike men, often have more than 2 pairs of shoes. they often also have multiple purses for different occasions... just to prepare you) ;):D

I didn't say that to her it's just an underlying thought about her self esteem and what's going on because she's my little girl who apparently is growing up faster than I realized.

Not a parent, but i suspect I would not have a problem with dying hair...

she pays for the kit or the salon appt. herself with allowance/birthday money/ etc...

once she sees what a waste of money it is for how long it lasts, she'll probably just give up on it anyway.