chicken strips, post em up!

Gixxus Christ!

I typically got about 1/2" on the rear but closer to an inch on the front simply because I dont trust public road surfaces as much as I would a clean, prepped track surface.

2010 Kawasaki Concour14, 2900 miles, rear tire.

The last 700 miles was a twisty ride through WV, down the Blueridge Pkwy, around Deals Gap area, etc...

For a fat pig, she could handle!

IMG_20100915_194107.jpg

IMG_20100915_194320.jpg

IMG_20100915_194558.jpg

Couldn't really get down much more...not without taking these stupid things off!

IMG_20100915_195012.jpg

Edited by BadTrainDriver
  • Upvote 1

So lack of 'chicken strips' on a street bike means you're a better rider?

-VanDy

So improving my line & learning proper body position made me a worse rider. Almost any fool can ride crossed up, pushing the bike down in corners & get rid of those dreaded chicken strips.

-VanDy

When I went to my track course, the instructor gave us a great demonstration about "chicken strips". They chalked up two rear tires on two different bikes, he rode one another guy rode the other...the bike that got all the way over on the turns and erased almost all the chalk line was slower through the turns than the instructor, who didn't even come close to the edge.

It was a lesson about using the bike & your body's mechanics to lessen lean, and how that translates to better cornering, more speed, and allowing more room for error.

I have plenty of rubber left on the outside of my tires, and I'm proud of it.

Not too bad for my 750# pig. Definitely a lot smaller than this R6 that i recently was defeated by in a bike show.....:nono: He has at least 2" chicken strips. I asked him if he wanted me to get rid of them for him.

By the way, there is no hanging off my bike in the corners.

2012-06-07_091539.jpg

So improving my line & learning proper body position made me a worse rider. Almost any fool can ride crossed up, pushing the bike down in corners & get rid of those dreaded chicken strips.

Just to clarify I did say 'street bike' meaning not track... See below... So Applying that to your logic, and that you use proper body positioning, if you use all the tire you aren't leaving yourself much room for unexpected situations are you?

I'm no expert on the matter by any means, and I do understand there are ways to tighten up mid corner. Or am I missing something? I'll play along later with pics but I do have about an 1.5" +\- an each side, I have nothing to prove :)

Ride safe!

-VanDy

-VanDy

Almost any fool can ride crossed up, pushing the bike down in corners & get rid of those dreaded chicken strips.

Jschaf,

Upon further reflection of your post, I realized that you were supporting my original post. Thanks!

-VanDy

And just because it's my lunch break...

Isn't tire size also a factor? For instance my 160 is a lot closer to being a U shape, when a 180 is more of a ( shape?

-VanDy

Isn't tire size also a factor? For instance my 160 is a lot closer to being a U shape, when a 180 is more of a ( shape?

-VanDy

I think tire size is a huge factor. I've got a 250 pinched onto a 7.5" rim, that really makes it u-shaped. I think it depends on the size tire vs the size rim.

-VanDy

Pretty sure the tread profile should be relavent to the rim size it's fitted on. If your bike's built for 180's and you squeeze on a 190, then it will surely have more of a curved profile which in turn decreases the footprints width. Not a good idea imo, but if you do run a wider tire maybe take out a couple pounds of air pressure to justify the difference?

Edited by Hellmutt

Who said that? This is just for fun, if you don't want to post up a pic, gtfo.

I guess it you could call it a common assumption of people not in the know. Kieth Code even uses it the in the begining of Twist of the Wrist when the 2 guys are checking out all the other bikes chicken strips.

To add to the thread:

I have about .500"-.750" on mine. Posible pic later but if not i will gtfo:D