How many miles should I expect to get on a rear tire?

Blitz

I bought a Conti Motion last year. Seems like I only have 4,000 miles or so on it and it's looking like I'll need a new one soon.

I thought that specific tire wasn't too soft and would give me at least 6-8 thousand miles...

only tires I've had that lasted that long were pirelli diablo strada (8000), angel ST(7500), and I think the avon storms will run the distance, only a couple thousand on them so far though...

Given, my bike is a little heavier, and a lot torquier than yours...

only tires I've had that lasted that long were pirelli diablo strada (8000), angel ST(7500), and I think the avon storms will run the distance, only a couple thousand on them so far though...

Given, my bike is a little heavier, and a lot torquier than yours...

I has the diablo strada on my 750Ss, I put 6k on it, no telling how many the PO did thou..

-VanDy

You can take the exact same tire on the same bike with two riders who weigh the same thing, and they'll have two different life spans on rear-tires.

Your right hand and braking habits determine quite a lot. There's no "normal", just your experiences.

agree swingset...

I get ~8000 on the tires i listed, I got 2500 out of a dunflop Qualifier (a tire that didn't have enough grip for my taste anyway) and about 1500 out of a metzeler M3 (that gripped like glue)

Yes two people on the same bike with the same tire will get different wear on a tire. However, if you go to a forum specific to your bike and ask...you will get a ton of opinions and through that volume you will get a real good picture of what brand/combo works best on your ride.

If you happen to have a Nomad 1600 the answer is Avon Cobra Venom's.

I am lucky to see 4-5k out of a set of tires most seasons. Best results I've had under my bike were the Dunlop Roadsmarts - they wore in evenly, grabbed the corners very well, and took some abuse for quite a while before any obvious wear. I've recently bought a set of Q2's for my trackday/mile wheels that I'm dying to lean on to see how they perform and what they can tolerate

if you get more than 4k out of a Conti-Motion you should be real happy

my PR2's were well worth the money. Handle like a dream and with 4k now on them are just finally showing the slightest bit of wear

asking "how many miles will i get out of a tire" is just like asking "how long is a piece of string"...

there are so many variables that its really impossible to say. how often do you ride? how hard do you ride? more freeway or more twisties? whats your road condition like? how abrasive is it? do you do track days? etc etc etc

asking "how many miles will i get out of a tire" is just like asking "how long is a piece of string"...

there are so many variables that its really impossible to say. how often do you ride? how hard do you ride? more freeway or more twisties? whats your road condition like? how abrasive is it? do you do track days? etc etc etc

A piece of string is ALWAYS twice as long as half of its length :)

-VanDy

• Upvote 1