(Snakes) so I'm called a puss! That's OK

Beegreenstrings

ODNR is hip deep in bull shit. Maybe I was just the lucky kid who found the one cotton mouth nest in the state but it was a cotton mouth. I had a ranger shitting himself at 14yo because I had it in his little nature center over at Blendon Woods. Needless to say I didn't tell my Mom what it was as she drove me over there with the snake in a 3 gallon fish tank.

After all there are no bears in Ohio, until some lady in Marietta shot one.:lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not ok to own slaves? :confused:

and the dietary laws were old testament....they were in place to distinguish the jews from the gentiles, saying that jews do not eat unclean meat....in the new testament in Acts 10, Peter has a vision of eating all kinds of unclean meat...he later realized, when gentiles showed up to meet him, that the vision was the Lord telling him that no man is considered unclean and that Peter should treat them all the same.....if there is no longer a distinction between the jews and the gentiles, and all are equal, then there is no need to follow the dietary laws set in place to separate the jews from the gentiles

Another thing about the bible that is kind of suspicious. Why would an all-knowing all seeing god who knows the future ever change his mindmk and why did he change from a wrathful jealous god who smote entire countries off the map to a gentle, forgiving god? You telling me having a kid mellowed him out that much? This may indeed offend plenty of you but I don't buy a word of it. It's a book full of stories written in the bronze age, when people didn't exactly have much scientific explanations of the world around them.

ODNR is hip deep in bull shit. Maybe I was just the lucky kid who found the one cotton mouth nest in the state but it was a cotton mouth. I had a ranger shitting himself at 14yo because I had it in his little nature center over at Blendon Woods. Needless to say I didn't tell my Mom what it was as she drove me over there with the snake in a 3 gallon fish tank.

After all there are no bears in Ohio, until some lady in Marietta shot one.:lol:

My Father-in law is a snake expert and used to catch them for the Columbus zoo and for research, he says there are no cottonmouths in Ohio! They get misidentified all the time for water snakes......they cannot survive a Winter here! Urban myth and total horseshit!!!! He is also a Forestry major and his friends with numerous ODNR officers.

My Father-in law is a snake expert and used to catch them for the Columbus zoo and for research, he says there are no cottonmouths in Ohio! They get misidentified all the time for water snakes......they cannot survive a Winter here! Urban myth and total horseshit!!!! He is also a Forestry major and his friends with numerous ODNR officers.

And I bet he will tell you there are no bear wolves or bobcats in Ohio also.

And I bet he will tell you there are no bear wolves or bobcats in Ohio also.

Of course there are, they have always been here. Their numbers are starting to increase, parts of the state are perfect for them to eventually thrive. Like I said before, his whole life is centered around wildlife and he has many friends that know their shit.;)

Ohio has only three species of venomous snakes. Two rattlers and then the copperhead, which is a close relative of the cottonmouth, which is NOT found in Ohio. When inbred people see a snake in the water, it is always a cottonmouth, just because they like to keep it in the family and avoid actually reading any sort of literature on the subject. Non-venomous watersnakes have a saliva that contains an anti-coagulant that prevents the blood from clotting, so you may bleed a bit if you get bit. They also like to throw up their last meal when captured, which I have seen firsthand. I have also seen footage of watersnakes actually coming up to a person and taking fish from their hands. Cottonmouths tend to be very laid-back snakes for the most part and don't thrash about and strike often when caught. Youtube has plenty of footage of those magnificent animals and most of the time they do the usual gaping, which is how they got their name. The Bible is bullshit as well:)

He may be right but that water snake had the ODNR guy fooled too then, so :p at ODNR.

Yup....they are mis-identified allot, carefully open up the mouth and there should be some nice big fangs set in a very white mouth.;)

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1019

Yes, using a twig I opened the mouth and caught the fangs. I did so to inspect the white fleshy tissue inside when I was attempting to identify it. The snake was about a foot long so it was still a juvenile but it also made it easier to catch. Obviously most of the snakes I used to catch were constrictors like rat snakes, gardeners and the rare small green snakes which I was told back then were a type of gardner snake. I would keep them for a week or so in my fish tank, feeding them different foods to see what they were eating. I can't tell you how many minnows I went thru trying to get them to fish one out of the bowl. But in the end it was small frogs they all seemed to prefer.:rolleyes:

When you go to close to a cotton mouth they will open there mouth for to display cotton white in side to their mouth and a water moksin are close to the same snake arrow shaped head where the venom glads are. And the common water snake flatten it jaws so you would think it cotton mouth or moksin color pattern and scale markings is how you can tell. could survive with the winter here.

Edited by wht_scorpion

I was at Lake Cumberland in KY a few years back and was along the shore looking for geodes....those things are everywhere down there. The shoreline came up out of the water as almost a rocky cliff with enough ledges and handholds to walk along it. I placed my hand in a handhold and looked down for geodes. I probably paused there for a minute or two. Upon looking back towards my hand I was face to face with a copperhead.....the thing was literally less than a foot from my nose. I got out of there quickly and without getting bit. Because I was curious I climbed above him on the cliffside and flipped off the rock that was covering him so I could identify it and just as I thought.....I stared a copperhead in the face. I went back to the houseboat with some shit scared out of me.

Hope your brother is ok and has a speedy recovery.

BDB - what kind?

i havent owned a snake since i was a little kid, and just picked up a guyana red tail....hes still a baby though

Wife breeds the Ball Pythons, the rest are pets. Some of the herd will be thinned out sooner or later. New laws may make it very cost prohibitive to keep the Burm.

IMO the Burms have the best personality and fun factor, they just get huge. Boas are great too. Retics are nasty, Balls are kinda boring.

If anyone has any snake related questions I'll happily answer them.

Boas:

Young Adult Hypo Jungle - 6' male

Young Adult Suriname - 7' female

"Teen" Snow - 3' male

"Teen" Blood Boa - 3' female

Young "Something my wife got in a trade" - 2'

Balls:

Adult Bumblebee - 4' female

Adult het Gen Stripe - 4' female

Young Adult Super Pastel - 3' male

Young Gen Stripe - 1.5' female

Adult Blood Python - 4.5' female

"Teen" Granite Burmese Python - 9.5' male

Guess there is only 12.

My Boa hanging out with me while I nap

DSCN1238.JPG?gl=US

Burm trying to climbing the wall

DSCN1176.JPG?gl=US

Wife breeds the Ball Pythons, the rest are pets. Some of the herd will be thinned out sooner or later. New laws may make it very cost prohibitive to keep the Burm.

IMO the Burms have the best personality and fun factor, they just get huge. Boas are great too. Retics are nasty, Balls are kinda boring.

Boas:

"Teen" Snow - 3' male

Balls:

Guess there is only 12.

DSCN1238.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1176.JPG?gl=US

Rock Pythons are pretty nasty to Thats a Nice albino python

Boas:

"Teen" Snow - 3' male

Balls:

Guess there is only 12.

awesome collection! i love your berm

some day i would like to own a tiger retic...but when i have a lot more room for one....you mentioned them being nasty, is it such a problem if raised from hatchlings? unfortunately, my gf wants us to move to florida - so the burm and retic may both be out of the question anyways

i think my next big snake will be an argentine boa or a ghost boa

argentines are kinda hard to find, and the ghost boas are out of my price range at the moment...im also out of room in my apartment lol, reptiles and their food have taken over my spare bedroom

got any pics of the suriname and snow boas?