Don't Thank a Marine for Their Service

imprez55

I saw this on reddit earlier today and it brought up an interesting point. I see many people on here thanking those who mention military service and now I am curious how many agree with this fellow. I encourage you to read the following comment and express your feelings, especially if you have served yourself.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueReddit/comments/v2vfh/dont_thank_me_for_my_service/c50v4u1

• Upvote 1

I thought 'once a Marine, always a Marine',yet that guy calls himself 'an ex-Marine'? :dunno:

Sounds like any disgruntled former employee.

Maybe if he didn't tell people his former employer, they wouldn't thank him, and then he wouldn't get all mad and stuff.

I liked this comment from your link:

" This is the exact reason why I thank every service person I see in public, if I can. A shake of the hand and a "Thank you for your service. I appreciate it." I'm not condoning war or killing people or starting some political bullshit. I'm simply thanking them for enduring a lot of shit to be a part of our nation's armed forces. I don't care if you never once saw action. The fact is that you could have. You put yourself in a position where your actions could have led to you being sent into the line of fire. That's respectable. Do I wish we didn't need people to do this? Yes. But the fact is that we do, and people who do it should be thanked."

Personally, I feel a bit awkward getting mentioned for my "service" since all I've done is spend 4 weeks at COT and take scholarship money. But I think the point is you never know when the shit is gonna hit the fan in this world. The first commenter thought he did nothing but lame IT work and wasn't worth thanking. But if Kim Jong-Il had gone batshit crazy or WW3 suddenly broke out, he'd have been there. It's not his fault his service wasn't as glamorous as someone storming the beaches of Normandy. But I liketo think guys like him doing their job well in peace time keeps the world boring, and that's a good thing. It's about what you were willing to do if it was needed of you, not necessarily what you did.

When someone thanks me for being in, I understand that they are thanking me for serving, regardless of what i did or didn't do. Many of you on here know that when my unit deployed I was not able to go with them do to an injury to my shoulder. I struggled with not going and being left behind as well as after the guys got back, what they went through and the loss of more than one Marine, after they got home. Even when I talk about this people always say, it doesn't matter, what matters is that you joined, volunteered and could have / wanted to go.

Some people both active and reserve may think differently than me, but this guy seems like he joined for the wrong reasons and as above stated may be a disgruntled employee. I could see if this guy was infantry or had experiences that he will have to live with the rest of his life but for being an "IT" guy he seems overly hostile towards the USMC.

Edited by Tomcat0403

*reading endless comments of the linked post*...

75% of the population could make it through the US Marines?

muhahahahaha.................. no

Despite popular impressions, the US Marines wouldn't even consider more than half the population.

Being undesirable/unfit/unqualified in one way or another.

Same with all the other branches of military service as well.

Edited by ReconRat

I simply take the thank you as others have stated, for volunteering to serve my country in peace and if called upon, in wartime.

Ironically, no one in my immediate family has ever thanked me for serving in the military, just complete strangers that "knew" I am former military and said thank you (it means more, too).

My father is a vet. The personal sacrifice people make to do a job most can not or will not do is worth at the very least a thank you. They give up there freedom so we can have ours so thank you to all who have and do serve.

My father is a vet. The personal sacrifice people make to do a job most can not or will not do is worth at the very least a thank you. They give up there freedom so we can have ours so thank you to all who have and do serve.

This simple, yet genuine acknowledgement of what any vet has done is all the thanks I ever need to hear. Snot, thank you for your words, and to your father thanks to him for his service and sacrafice.

I'm a Marine, and like the crybaby author of that piece, my career was unspectacular from a combat standpoint. Doesn't mean I am not proud of my service, though he is certainly entitled to his definition of his experience. There were so many aspects of those years of my life that have made a profoundly positive impact on my life, and I didn't have to kill anyone for a lasting memory of my service. Typically, guys with woe-is-me tales or speaking ill of their service often bit off more of life than they could chew in taking up the cause of defending freedom. I completely understand that the military is not for everyone, and some of those folks find out afterward. But it wasn't the Marines' fault it wasn't for you. (or any other branch for that matter.)

And tomorrow morning, I plan to celebrate the next generation of Marines in downtown Cleveland. Semper Fidelis!

On a related note, Happy Birthday Army! 237 years of tradition and service!

People may not agree with what we do in the armed forces, and many military members feel the exact same way. But most of us volunteered, and whether we like what we do or not, we are obligated to do it.

I have been in 12 years. It's rather amazing to me to see people in the military get so hostile when they have to deploy. You sure are more than willing to take the enlistment bonus, or the GI Bill, or the scholarships, free training, medical benefits, and the myriad of other things the military gives you, but you freak out at having to uphold your end of the bargain.

The military is not a free ride. Sure, some people skate by without ever doing more than training, but for the majority, we have a job that needs to be done, whether we want to or not.

I've been in for a few years, and did a year overseas as well. I understand where this Marine is coming from. Sometimes those times are just completely boring, and you feel like you are contributing nothing.

In reality, a small percentage of the military ever will see a firefight or combat. FOBs getting mortared or rocketed is a whole different thing though. A certain percentage will also not deploy. That is just the way it is. The military is huge, and any combat job requires lots of support to make their job successful.

Everyone that signs on the line and swears an oath gives up something. Even if you just want to kill people you still are going to go through plenty of suck just to get the opportunity. We sacrifice time with family and friends to be stationed/deployed elsewhere. We have to follow rules on and off duty that limit our lives in a manner that no other civilian job ever would. We always have to place out mission above everything else, including our happiness or our lives. I could go on and on, but the point is that the sacrifice and service is not just getting shot at. It is altering your way of life in order to follow standards and rules. It is deciding to put other's needs and wants about your own.

None the less, everyone that joins gave up something in order to serve their country. They may have been unhappy or had low point, but they stood up and said I will do what my country needs of me. That is more than about 90% of the population can say. That alone gets you at least a "Thank you for your service". Those that gave limb (Any life changing injury) should be applauded and offered any help they request. Those that gave life should be honored and saluted whenever possible.

So, in the end, I agree with what this man says. Don't thank me for my service. It was a 9-5 job except when I was deployed on a deployment that I shouldn't have even been on. Anyone that still thinks that we're in the middle east fighting for justice because of 9/11 needs to think again.

I agree with this part, we've already thanked them, with 140 billion dollars every year in income. it's a job...period.

Now there is a small group of people that I hold in higher esteem, those are volunteer police and firefighters, they don't pull a paycheck, they just do it because they see it needs done... kudos.

I agree with this part, we've already thanked them, with 140 billion dollars every year in income. it's a job...period.

Now there is a small group of people that I hold in higher esteem, those are volunteer police and firefighters, they don't pull a paycheck, they just do it because they see it needs done... kudos.

"It's a job...period." Um, no. Is every occupation in the military one that puts one in constant danger? Absolutely not. But to say that one who's occupation or career is being an active member of the armed forces is just a job is a gross oversimplification of the duties they perform, and a bit insulting. And to say that you thanked them by simply giving them a paycheck? Easily said when you haven't an understanding of what all goes in to provide you the right to say that. But feel free to continue to maintain that idea, and dispense that opinion. Hundreds of thousands of men and women are ensuring that nothing threatens your ability to do so.

Then again, that's just their job.

• Downvote 1

"It's a job...period." Um, no. Is every occupation in the military one that puts one in constant danger? Absolutely not. But to say that one who's occupation or career is being an active member of the armed forces is just a job is a gross oversimplification of the duties they perform, and a bit insulting. And to say that you thanked them by simply giving them a paycheck? Easily said when you haven't an understanding of what all goes in to provide you the right to say that. But feel free to continue to maintain that idea, and dispense that opinion. Hundreds of thousands of men and women are ensuring that nothing threatens your ability to do so.

Then again, that's just their job.

Maybe it's just me, but... Whenever I am thanked I try to downplay it a bit. I joined to get on the job experience (which I didn't get, never touched an airplane to work on one) but I did make a decision to do whatever I could, I have a combat action ribbon and did some things I'm not so proud of, why should anybody thank me for something I did out of purely selfish reasons? I don't regret being a Marine. And I will always be proud of it, but I did it for me, so don't thank me...

-VanDy

Maybe it's just me, but... Whenever I am thanked I try to downplay it a bit. I joined to get on the job experience (which I didn't get, never touched an airplane to work on one) but I did make a decision to do whatever I could, I have a combat action ribbon and did some things I'm not so proud of, why should anybody thank me for something I did out of purely selfish reasons? I don't regret being a Marine. And I will always be proud of it, but I did it for me, so don't thank me...

-VanDy

still no reason to get offended. nobody knows your personal story just from looking at you.

people get worked up over some dumb shit......its not like theyre spitting in your face and saying fuck the marines....they simply saying thank you for enlisting and serving the country, no matter how you served or for what reason.

Don't take it personal. It's a change in values of society in general. It's the population embracing the concepts of duty, honor, and citizenship. This is a good thing.

On the other hand, if it comes from a military service member, it feels good. They know what they are talking about.

It took 30 years after the Vietnam War, for a soldier in the Atlanta airport, to tell me "Thank You for your service". But honestly, anyone I knew in the military, didn't have to say anything at all. It's understood.

• Upvote 1

still no reason to get offended. nobody knows your personal story just from looking at you.

people get worked up over some dumb shit......its not like theyre spitting in your face and saying fuck the marines....they simply saying thank you for enlisting and serving the country, no matter how you served or for what reason.

I know what you mean, I don't take it personal, I just feel that I didn't earn the thanks, I got paid, and I'm getting paid still (GI bill) to go to school, if you really want to thank somebody, thank PFC Zachary Knight, that lost a leg serving his country, and was making jokes while being medivac'd out with a tourniquet on what was left of his leg, (that's the kind of man he was, always making light of the situation) after an IED DESTROYED his truck.

-VanDy

I know what you mean, I don't take it personal, I just feel that I didn't earn the thanks, I got paid, and I'm getting paid still (GI bill) to go to school, if you really want to thank somebody, thank PFC Zachary Knight, that lost a leg serving his country, and was making jokes while being medivac'd out with a tourniquet on what was left of his leg, (that's the kind of man he was, always making light of the situation) after an IED DESTROYED his truck.

-VanDy

But what if that guy joined for the same reasons as you? Perhaps he had selfish intentions too. He sacrificed his leg, but im sure he didnt plan to. And it could happen to any person who enlists. When someone enlists, they usually dont know exactly where they will end up in the job. Losing his leg, in my mind, does not make him more courageous or more deserving of a "thank you" than you or any other marine.

Sure you may not feel like you earned the thank you, but when you enlisted you didnt know it would be that way. It could have just as easily been you that lost a leg.

At least thats how I see it

this thread has given me a new perspective....i didnt realize that people in the armed forces were bothered by being thanked

they sure dont mind when theyre at the check out counter somewhere asking if the store gives a military discount.....if they dont want anyone knowing they were in the armed forces, dont mention it, and dont expect special treatment...

i usually thank people in the service, as well as police and firefighters....guess ill think twice, didnt realize so many people felt this way.....kinda mind boggling....if i was in the service, i wouldnt mind one bit if someone thanked me

But what if that guy joined for the same reasons as you? Perhaps he had selfish intentions too. He sacrificed his leg, but im sure he didnt plan to. And it could happen to any person who enlists. When someone enlists, they usually dont know exactly where they will end up in the job. Losing his leg, in my mind, does not make him more courageous or more deserving of a "thank you" than you or any other marine.

Sure you may not feel like you earned the thank you, but when you enlisted you didnt know it would be that way. It could have just as easily been you that lost a leg.

At least thats how I see it

this thread has given me a new perspective....i didnt realize that people in the armed forces were bothered by being thanked

they sure dont mind when theyre at the check out counter somewhere asking if the store gives a military discount.....if they dont want anyone knowing they were in the armed forces, dont mention it, and dont expect special treatment...

i usually thank people in the service, as well as police and firefighters....guess ill think twice, didnt realize so many people felt this way.....kinda mind boggling....if i was in the service, i wouldnt mind one bit if someone thanked me

He may have not joined thinking that 'I'll lose my leg and be a 'real' marine" who knows, that's with him, but I know he deserves more thanks than I do. When it comes to the check out counter, I rarely take the discount, I was paid in full when I received my Eagle Globe and Anchor, that is my payment for being a Marine. I don't need $250 from the Ohio tax funds, I did what I did for me, because I believe in the rights I was defending. You may not agree with me, but I believe in your rights that I fought for, even if you dont agree with them

-VanDy