Brake pads...

Jamez

I have not been on the forum for a very long time, Ive been proccupied with work and life and riding

Anyways i have alot of brake questions and I dont know where to turn. Ive asked a few friends that ride but noone seems to know anything.

I have to replace my front brakes real soon as the pads are very low.

I am 2nd owner of the bike and this is only my second year riding so Im pretty wet behind the ears still.

1- My front pads are quite low and ive noticed that im getting a considerable amount of brake fade lately in the front brake mostly after alot of stop and go traffic riding or if i use them alot. I have had the brakes flushed and its still there, I have inspected and measured the rotors and found them to be in spec and not glazed. Could my brake pads be causing the fade since they are so low?

2- I may be starting an opinion war here but after looking for brakes online ive found im more undecided than ever. Ive found i can get Organic, Semi-metallic, Ceramic, Sintered, etc. I have no idea whats on the bike now as these are the pads it had on it when i bought it. I think they are factory or OEM replacements but i have no idea. Besides the fade I found that they are smooth and predictable and sufficient. I was wondering what i should replace them with? I know thats a loaded question but im an average rider, mabe a little heavy on the brakes. I need something thats good cold but can handle alot of heat as I ride all sorts or scenarios.

3- Anyone ever heard of Galfer brakes?

I know EBC is good but they offer a limited selection for my bike. Brembo doesnt have anything for my bike unless i do a MAJOR upgrade which i dont feel is necessary. any other really good manufacturers that i should look at?

Please help thanks so much ahead of time

I got the EBC organic ones because they claimed to be the best comparison to OEM and the sintered ones sounded more for race applications. Went to deals gap with them and was happy about them. There were a few moments I wished they had a bit more bite but over all they are not bad, predictable and smooth. I would be interested in hearing someones opinion on the sintered pads though since I was debating between the organic and sintered, didn't really see any semi metallic or ceramic pads for my bike.

Edited by JStump

As long as it's not one of the brake pads that has to heat up to generate friction, it will be ok for the street. EBC is one of the manufacturers of OEM brake pads, so very close to stock. I use the EBC HH, and it seems pretty much the same as stock or better. I imagine the Galfer HH is about the same.

All brake pads need breaking in, and sometimes that means conditioning or re-conditioning the rotor as well. Check the manufacturer's website for instructions. But just slapping new pads on will still work anyway.

I suppose this all depends on your riding style, bike, track days, etc. If you are a regular sport bike rider EBC HH or OEM pads should be fine for a few hard stops on twisties.

If you play on a track or ride aggressively on the road a lot look into EBC Extreme Pro. They do not need to heat up like race brakes, but still provide some hard stopping power. It's street/track friendly.

I glazed my OEM pads on my Busa halfway through my 2nd track day and installed the Extreme Pro pads as well as Galfer steel braided brake lines. So far they feel MUCH more positive than the stock junk. I'll test em on the track tomorrow.

I'd also suggest when you swap fluids go with a DOT 4 built for high performance, such as Repsol or Motul. It's probably overkill but I prefer to have more than I need in the brake department, plus it gives me an excuse to twist a wrench:D

I used Bike Master pads just replaced them earlier this month. I like them no problems so far. There is still a slight hum when I break but they work like their suppose to. I even looked at some double-H but was told no need unless I was planning on racing.

So, a few things in my opinion. Do not sand rotors. Use mineral spirits to get the brake material off the rotor.

A thing that can happen with brake pads and rotors are adherent wear. That is when the pad essentially is being over used in application and tears down and leaves a shit pile of material on the rotor. This can cause rotor warpage. We get this on our stock RC8s at Mid-O with OEM rotors.

Traditionally, almost any street pad is about the same. Really, as stated, they are all fairly good. Personally, hate EBC. Never got the results from EBC I can get from others.

If I wasn't using Brembo race pads, I'd run Versah. Absolutely the best pads I've ever used up until I tried these Brembos. Like anything, more braking power, more it costs. I think retail on the top shelf Vesrah and Brembos are like $150/card. Yes, $300 for both sides.

Also, race pads have no bed in process. Not many pads do any longer. But, you really should still. Lean the rotors.

needing new pads aside, i think stainless lines and a better quality brake fluid will help with your brake fade problems also.....a low quality brake fluid will heat up quicker and bubble, causing fade....the stainless lines will help keep the moisture out (brake fluid can and will go bad sitting in the bike, even if its not ridden....even brake fluid sitting in a sealed container on a shelf will eventually go bad)......get a brake fluid meant for racing application and change it minimum of once per year (good cheap and quick thing to do when pulling the bike out of winter storage in the spring)....and only buy enough fluid to do the change, or split the costs with a friend on a larger one....after you use it, dont cap it and put it back on your shelf, just pitch it....i see people who buy a big container of brake fluid to top something off that was leaking and only use a little, then put it on their garage shelf to sit....by the time they end up needing it again, it will be junk fluid anyways

as for the pads - i cant really help you there, sorry

Edited by Steve Butters

Thanks for the mineral spirits info, I typically just use brake cleaner on a clean rag.

I actually forgot an important setup... I then clean the rotors and calipers with good quality brake clean. Remove the brake material and such off the rotors and then clean with brake clean...

You can do the ol' brake clean with a scotch brite type pad also. But, I use mineral spirits due to cost vs cans of brake clean and then do a quick wash off with the brake clean. A lot cheaper that way... It's kind of old school, but seems to work...