Flames Shoot Hundreds Of Feet In Air After Train Derails, Explodes

namtugeoj

A good piece of advice that's always served me well.....If you arrive at an accident to find the Driver, Pilot, Engineer ect running like hell, try to keep up.

Yep! The driver, pilot, engineer knows what is or was onboard and has been on scene longer to get a feel for the situation!

i think that was his nice way of pointing out what you just said about yourself

to illustrate, I'll talk about how I think I can last about 10 minutes in bed. and then he'll say, it was like 1 - 2 minutes at most. my feelings will be hurt, and then i'll say "I suck at taking naps" and ask him what his point was.

i think that was his nice way of pointing out what you just said about yourself

to illustrate, I'll talk about how I think I can last about 10 minutes in bed. and then he'll say, it was like 1 - 2 minutes at most. my feelings will be hurt, and then i'll say "I suck at taking naps" and ask him what his point was.

Thanks for clearing that up for me......

A few years ago, CSX had a derailment in New York that burned for over a week. There was no way to put it out.

Thankfully it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere...

like a MEKP or similar? made it's own oxygen, was it's own fuel, the only way to stop it is to get it below it's flash point (which is very cold) all the while it's generating it's own heat...

I believe it was about 20 cars of liquid propane.

No way to put it out, besides let it all burn off...

mekp would be harder, nice low flashpoint and it creates it's own oxygen as it burns... liquid propane you COULD hit with a halon system or similar and deprive it of oxygen to put it out...

I used to deliver ice, while at one of my regular stops the fuel truck was dropping gas and smoking a cig.

a cigarette will not ignite gasoline except in hollywood movies. you need a spark or an open flame to do that.

an already lit cigarette around gasoline is not really dangerous. lighting one up is extremely dangerous, as the open flame from the lighter can ignite the vapors.

it is ignite gasoline with a coal or ember, but it needs to be much hotter than a cigarette gets and needs a lot more surface area too.

a cigarette will not ignite gasoline except in hollywood movies. you need a spark or an open flame to do that.

an already lit cigarette around gasoline is not really dangerous. lighting one up is extremely dangerous, as the open flame from the lighter can ignite the vapors.

it is ignite gasoline with a coal or ember, but it needs to be much hotter than a cigarette gets and needs a lot more surface area too.

i had seen this, but i've never taken the opportunity to test it myself...

i'm thinking maybe i should...

how hot could a cigarette get when someone is taking a hard drag off of it?

could you ignite gasoline fumes?

obviously you can douse a lit, but smoldering cigarette with liquid gasoline...

He said he was previously burned while dumping fuel and smoking, he had obvious burns. I have no way of knowing if the lighter set it off or what. I wouldn't be smoking while dropping fuel if I was previously burned, Hell I would give up smoking. I'm not a smoker though so I probably don't understand the addiction. Face burned the Fuck off would end my addiction quick I think. :dunno: while you tell me that a cig won't ignite the fumes, I wouldn't risk it while standing next to a tanker full of fuel. I may be ugly , but melting my face won't help!

Oh its also illegal to smoke near a placarded load.

i had seen this, but i've never taken the opportunity to test it myself...

i'm thinking maybe i should...

how hot could a cigarette get when someone is taking a hard drag off of it?

could you ignite gasoline fumes?

obviously you can douse a lit, but smoldering cigarette with liquid gasoline...

the fumes are what is flammable, not the liquid. :)

• Upvote 1