vpn for android?

Gixxus Christ!

Hey geeks, can any of you recommend a free VPN service and client for android? Hotspot shield isn't compatible with either my phone or tablet. I know I could try every service and spend the next week figuring out which one is actually free and works, or I can hope one of you has found one you like. EVO 4g LTE running ics and EVO view 4g running honeycomb. Thanks.

Hey geeks, can any of you recommend a free VPN service and client for android? Hotspot shield isn't compatible with either my phone or tablet. I know I could try every service and spend the next week figuring out which one is actually free and works, or I can hope one of you has found one you like. EVO 4g LTE running ics and EVO view 4g running honeycomb. Thanks.

Tell us what you are trying to do. Connect those two devices to an existing network via VPN? Not sure what a 'vpn service' is.

Do you mean remote desktop to your PC? That is RDP......then you want Impreio.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperiolite.rdp&hl=en

A guy at work found neighboring company's unsecure router and set up a repeater so we have WiFi in the shop. To prevent the it guy at the other place to see where we are logging on to and maybe figuring out who we are, he requires all devices to use VPN with encryption certificate.

The guy at your place figured you could hide behind a VPN?

There's a built-in VPN connection in Android - Settings, WiFi/Networks, Other.

There's probably a reason the powers-that-be at your job haven't provided access to teh intarwebz, but we won't bother with that, or the legal/moral issues of thieving someone's internet pipe, or how simple it will be to find you if "the it guy" has half a clue what he's doing.

Me? I'd let you in for a while, but start capturing what you're doing, then screw with you, and if you didn't leave I'd just cut you off.

***edit: "the it guy" probably has no clue about anything. Leech away! But make sure your boss doesn't catch ya.

They would still know it's coming from something within range.

It's not very hard to figure it out.

But like jblosser said, apparently they are clueless.

Have you looked at the Google Play store, that now syncs with your devices?

You can set a search for apps, free, vpn, and your devices, once it knows what you have.

And it would already know your devices, if you've ever used Google Play before.

I saw 6 to 8 VPN apps. Just search both platforms separately and see which one's work on both.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=vpn&c=apps&price=1

Edited by ReconRat

Are their IT guys clueless?

There's a simple mathematical formula for figuring out if they they are clueless

non-secured wireless router = clueless.

Any questions?

I'm looking for a VPN app for my droidx so I can log in to my router at my house from work (vpn out is allowed by the fw) and access my NAS drive and keepass etc.

There's a simple mathematical formula for figuring out if they they are clueless

non-secured wireless router = clueless.

Any questions?

I have close to 150 non-secured wireless routers that I run at my organization. And I am far from clueless.

I'm looking for a VPN app for my droidx so I can log in to my router at my house from work (vpn out is allowed by the fw) and access my NAS drive and keepass etc.

I have two different apps to logon to computers at home from phone. I don't use them very often, it's a pain to maneuver on the tiny phone screen.

Most of the VPN apps are just a shortcut to VPN settings, makes going through the description of each one a pain in the balls. Was really hoping someone knew of one that works.

Now that I know what the whole story is, I am going to go back to my original answer.

Impreio.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lite.rdp&hl=en

Free. Connect to their WIFI then use Impreio to make an encrypted connection to your PC at home and surf with that.

I have close to 150 non-secured wireless routers that I run at my organization. And I am far from clueless.

Is it your intention for anyone to use them for free? Or are you in a location where unauthorized people cannot get close enough to use them?

Is it your intention for anyone to use them for free?

^^^^^^

Correct. That was my original point, we don't know if the people next door to the OP are clueless or running wide open on purpose.

Now that I know what the whole story is, I am going to go back to my original answer.

Impreio.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lite.rdp&hl=en

Free. Connect to their WIFI then use Impreio to make an encrypted connection to your PC at home and surf with that.

hmmm, that's not the one I was using... ok, I'll try it on the droid tablet.

^^^^^^

Correct. That was my original point, we don't know if the people next door to the OP are clueless or running wide open on purpose.

If so then why the need for subterfuge? Hmmm....

Related question... You ever had to deal with internet crimes traced to your IP range? Some anonymous customer downloading something they shouldn't and you getting the rap for it?

If so then why the need for subterfuge? Hmmm....

I don't think the op knows if it on purpose or not...so he is being careful. Plus he wants his activities encrypted either way. Good move of course.

Related question... You ever had to deal with internet crimes traced to your IP range? Some anonymous customer downloading something they shouldn't and you getting the rap for it?

Nope, we are a school district. Even our guest wireless connection has a CIPA compliant filter on it plus a ton of draconian measures. vpn/torrent/rdp/Gotomypc and all similar stuff is blocked. Proxies blocked....it is locked down tight.

Anyone that does not like it is welcome to tether their phone to their laptop and use their carriers connection.

Our network, our rules.

Nope, we are a school district. Even our guest wireless connection has a CIPA compliant filter on it plus a ton of draconian measures. vpn/torrent/rdp/Gotomypc and all similar stuff is blocked. Proxies blocked....it is locked down tight.

Anyone that does not like it is welcome to tether their phone to their laptop and use their carriers connection.

Our network, our rules.

Fair enough. I wonder about less sophisticated open wireless folks (Scan for networks in a densely populated area and you use dot find at least one or two open). So the neighbor next door (or the guy war-driving) gets on your wireless, spoofs his MAC and starts exchanging copyrighted music - then the RIAA love letter arrives demanding $2k per song... They can prove it went to your IP but not that it went to your computer, or even that YOU did it.

Fair enough. I wonder about less sophisticated open wireless folks (Scan for networks in a densely populated area and you use dot find at least one or two open). So the neighbor next door (or the guy war-driving) gets on your wireless, spoofs his MAC and starts exchanging copyrighted music - then the RIAA love letter arrives demanding $2k per song... They can prove it went to your IP but not that it went to your computer, or even that YOU did it.

Oh it can be worse than that.

http://tinyurl.com/7jozwp4

Now, if you are good at covering your tracks on your own computer....not having any evidence that can be found on your HD....leave your wireless open and blame everything you do on the war drivers. :D

Not trying to connect to my pc at home. Maybe I'm explaining this wrong....ill start by repeating what I've said twice. I want to run a secure tunnel to a proxy server so that my packets can't be snooped. We are trying to make it so they can't see what we are doing or where we are going. We are connected to their router via another router working as a repeater. Our router can only be accessed if you know its name and password. We spoofed one of the commonly logged on names from their company to our router so its less likely they will notice us. Their router is set up for VPN so they shouldnt notice the VPN tunnel traffic.