current tire opinions

RHill

Figured I'd start a thread to talk about everyone's current set of tires.

I'm currently running shinko's; an 009 raven on the rear (hardest compound) and a 005 advance on the front. I'm right around 4k miles and guessing about 500 miles left on the rear. Mainly used them for commuting and twisties, nothing extremely aggressive, but I'd say they are a good fit for my ability and what I had in mind when purchasing them.

These last rides have ate the crap out of the rear tire, 600 miles last weekend has made the rear just disappear. I'm not sure if it was the hot weather or the long commutes from Cleveland to roads that have turns; but before this weekend I could have swore I had around 2k left in the rear, now maybe another 500.

I've had the front nearly wash out on me once; but that was my own fault, I leaned it over while the tire was stone cold in the morning. Other than that, they have been extremely predictable. The rear chatters a bit at a hard lean and will spin a little if I really get on it while leaned in. The harder compound rear is also prone to squeal and get a little loose if you engine brake hard or use rear brake much.

I just ordered a set of Q2's, but only because I want to set myself up for a trackday. I'll be getting another raven for the rear to use on the street....it is just too good of a value.

I got a new set of Q2's myself for future tracktime. Running Roadmarts now and they hold up to some abuse fairly well as long as you dont get a slow leak in the front and throw it into the corners anyway, then wonder why its fighting back and the whole bike slides in and out of the turns - found it when we finally stopped for a break and it was smoked to the bone and @ 18psi:nono: New front is back on it, all is good again. Cant wait to mount the Q2's on the spares to try out next

street: anything like a pilot road 2 or 3, pirelli angel ST's, etc (hard hard compound in the middle for touring, softer compound for edges).

track: Q2, pilot pures, bt016, on and on for anything up to advanced. afterwards, probably start looking at more race oriented tires. I liked the Q2's the best out of the tires I listed.

I'm liking these avon storm's right now, but time will tell if I order another set or switch back to angel st's, if I hit the 7000 mile mark with tread to spare, I'll be keeping the avons, if they burn out under 5000 it'll be back to angels, if they do 6-7 it'll be purely a question of cost.

Street its Pilot Road 2 or 3 for me

Track, i just mounted a set of Bridgestone BT003RS on the track bike, heard ALOT of great reviews on them, so i figured id try a set out. When i get another set of warmers, ill be scooping a set of Pilot Cups

Track, i just mounted a set of Bridgestone BT003RS on the track bike, heard ALOT of great reviews on them, so i figured id try a set out.

Think you'll like them. The guy I bought my bike from used these religiously on his GSXR6 and his GSXR1k trackbikes. He had a fresh set on the 14 when I bought it, said they performed very well on the bigger bike too. Good tack and felt no lack of cornering confidence, but I cooked 'em up quick on the street though.

Any one tried S20 ?

I've had them on the R1 for about 500 miles and have been pleased so far.

I haven't been able to go on a really agressive/longer ride yet, but they are great for the closer twisties I've been on.

For street riding, esepcially after my long ride last weekend, I think that ST tires (BT-023, PR2, Road Smart) are more than good enough for grip and I might actually put a set on the R1 after the S20's are done.

Just had a PR2 put on the rear by Hoblick and it is amazing! Front is still a 2ct from previous owner with a decent amount of tread but once it's done PR2 going right on it :D

I mainly commute on my bike and enjoy some free time riding around and finding some twisties but with my current experience level the PR2's are perfect for my style

The PR2 will get you great mileage and still be able to lean hard in the corners. I had them on my Duc and now also the Triumph. I switched to a power pure on the Duc only to do a track day last fall and will probably switch back to the PR2 when they wear out.

Dunlop D207. They're the best tire I've ever used. Especially the really old ones. The rubber gets nice and hard' date=' so it's easier to slip out the back tire in the corners. I can't really go too fast on them, but the tricks I can do with them are fucking awesome.[/quote']

whats the trick called when you run into the back of a car :confused:

i will never run another dunflop on my bike again, those qualifiers were the worst...

I put them on LATE in the season, like mid august, and i still had to buy another tire before i put it away... not to menion it hopped all over the place in the corners.

Power Pures now due for replacement after over 4k miles. No real complaints except that they were super slippery when brand new. Once scuffed in they were sticky & predictable. Will be putting on a set of Q2 Sportmax's on in next week.

I'm on to my second set of Pilot 2ct's on my RC in the last 12 months. I managed to get 7k out of the rear, even with my fat ass. The front had some life left but wasn't going to last much longer, so I replaced them both last month. In my opinion, I wish the 2ct gave a little more feedback. On the other hand, they have been very predictable and work well for the type of roads available to me in NE Ohio. No issues in the wet either. I've been paying about $250 online for a set of 120/70 17 and 190/55 17.