High beams

Tonik

I always run high beams during the day. Learned it from my dad when I was little, every time we would go for a ride he would put on the high beams and then reach out in front of the headlight and make sure it was shining on his hand. To me it makes sense; its bright enough that people notice you, but not so much brighter than the ambient light that it blinds people. Modulators definitely attract attention but can also distract.

I don't use my high beam except at night when there is no oncoming traffic. I do a safety wobble when approaching someone that might cut me off. I think that a glaring high beam just mesmerizes some drivers & gives them something to target fixate on. So far so good.

Google 'safety wobble' and learn something.

Meaning weave slightly so instead of seeing a seemingly fixed single point of light the observer sees some side to side motion, getting their attention. It works & isn't as obnoxious as a headlight modulator.

I don't use my high beam except at night when there is no oncoming traffic. I do a safety wobble when approaching someone that might cut me off. I think that a glaring high beam just mesmerizes some drivers & gives them something to target fixate on. So far so good.

Exactly! I've scared somebody slightly behind me by safety wobbling before though. No method is perfect.

I do have retrofitsource bi-xenons installed though, so my beam is the same intensity, no mater what. It's just a shutter that blocks the top half of the beam with my lows on. So the wobble essentially flashes the light at them, without looking like I'm flashing.

Exactly! I've scared somebody slightly behind me by safety wobbling before though. No method is perfect.

I do have retrofitsource bi-xenons installed though, so my beam is the same intensity, no mater what. It's just a shutter that blocks the top half of the beam with my lows on. So the wobble essentially flashes the light at them, without looking like I'm flashing.

Retrofit source are some good guys. Matt and Nate were my neighbors for a couple years at OSU.

Sad to admit that I was hoping this thread was about boobies.

I do ride almost always with high beams on during daylight hours. I have started to changed my ways a little with the Itilian bikes have the quick trigger/toggle to flash high beams. Doesn't work like I wish. Only works from going low to high and not high to low.

I also use the safety wobble. When I flick from low to high, I mix it up on how many and low long I hold the flash.

Chris

Low beams, and using the high beam for crowds and threats. (And deer.)

I've zipped right past deer a few feet away at night on dark roads with low beams,

and never saw them till they were beside me, too late.

West coast drivers will pull out in front of you if you flash headlight.

It's a West coast thing. And seems to be that way in other states also.

I'll do a wiggle wobble. Not even thinking about it.

I think of it as a maneuver dance, ready to go left or right to avoid.

I'll ride straight at a driver also, it can freeze them. Primitive instinct.

If anyone is still running a stock headlight bulb, go out and get a Sylvania SilverStar replacement. They are a lot brighter for both low and high beams, compared to stock crap. Cheap quick fix. I can see low beam headlight bounce back off reflective street signs in the daylight. That won't happen with a stock headlight bulb. And no, it's not aimed too high. The one I found is motorcycle application and vibration resistant. Put the old one under the seat as a spare.

Some things I've read seem to think that odd color headlights help, especially yellow.

One thing that does seem to work, is a combo of different color headlights.

That will stop people while they try to figure it out.

I personally hate high beams during the day so I just watch the other people at intersections. Does anybody else have trouble when passing cars at night and those drivers not dimming there lights once your past them?

yeah that's normal. don't stare at the car. look off to the shoulder of the road instead.

and it's actually illegal to run with your brights on all the time. even in the day it's blinding to oncoming cars. I've been blinded a few times from bikes while in my truck. msf instructor said to never do it also for that very reason.