High beams

Tonik

Ok, years ago back when most of you were still swimming around in your Dad's gonads everyone on a bike road with their high beams on n the daytime. It struck me today that I can't remember the last time I saw a biker with his high beams on. Why? My only thought is most everyone takes MSF these days and they specifically say no to high beams.

For the record, I run with a headlight modulator.

I personally do not like headlight modulators as they are more distracting to drivers than just running with your high beams on full time.

But outside of that, I do run with my highs on during the day light hours. Always have and always will.

i ran my hi beams day and night.

i actually like when people do this, even when im in the car....makes them much more noticable. i had a harley blinding the shit out of me the other day during the day time, but i thought "good for him, at least hes visible"

i use my high beam as an added "heads up" to other drivers...for example, if i see someone approach an intersection that I am about to cross, I will click on the high, and cover the brakes in anticipation that they didn't bother noticing that I was coming.

i dont really like headlight modulators either. in certain situations a flashing headlight means "go ahead".

so when that guy waiting to pull out of the parking lot sees your flashing light and thinks "go ahead", you just caused the exact situation you're trying to avoid.

i use my high beam as an added "heads up" to other drivers...for example, if i see someone approach an intersection that I am about to cross, I will click on the high, and cover the brakes in anticipation that they didn't bother noticing that I was coming.

im not a fan of this.

if someone flashes their high beams at me, in my mind, that is a signal to pull out.

my only guess is don't most bikes nowadays have DRL's?

DRL? I don't think so, the headlight is just rigged directly to the ignition or to the alternator...

drl is typically a separate light that goes out when your headlight comes on.

DRL? I don't think so, the headlight is just rigged directly to the ignition or to the alternator...

drl is typically a separate light that goes out when your headlight comes on.

same concept is what i meant. But in my experience the DRL has always been the headlight lows on at 50% power. I've had 2 cars like that and 1 car it was the high beam at 30% power I believe

my only guess is don't most bikes nowadays have DRL's?

federal law mandates that every motorcycle produced since 1978 have a headlight that automatically comes on with the engine.

Well, guess I was wrong. Seems most folks do have them on. Perhaps my shield is a bit darker than I knew. As for my modulator, I just put it on at the beginning of this season and was very concerned it would piss everyone off. I have not seen any indication that it bothers people...they don't freak out or bolt out of the way or flash their lights at me or flip me off. Even got a couple of thumbs up from some cagers. And I have noticed a huge difference in how well people see me. Huge.

same concept is what i meant. But in my experience the DRL has always been the headlight lows on at 50% power. I've had 2 cars like that and 1 car it was the high beam at 30% power I believe

STS is high beam at 50% i believe...goes out at night...

I personally think it's annoying and I never do it. It's very distracting to other drivers (yeah they see you but what about the other guy?) and it makes it difficult to judge the speed of an oncoming vehicle, especially when it's not so bright out. So they see you but may pull in front of you because they think they have time.

It probably also gives people a false sense of security and to me is no different than the "loud pipes save lives" philosophy".

The bottom line is, there is no right or wrong way. Everyone has their opinion and are free to do what they want.

I ran with my high beams on my FZ6 because my OCD was overloaded by the asymmetric light setup.... "you know you have a light out?" Don't really think about it with the single light setup

The modulators really grab your attention but I'm not sure about tapping into my headlight circuit I do too many long distance rides and wouldn't want to deal with wiring issues on the road

Your call, you have to ride your own ride of course. Just pointing out they are plug and play. It just pops into the back of your headlight and the plug that used to go to your headlight plugs into it. They are designed and required by federal law to fail on. If the unit smokes it bypasses to solid on.

ust get the good ones, around a hundred bucks. There are some illegal crap ones for 40 out there.

My buddies Hornet has a bright ass low beam so he doesn't need his High beams on :lol:

I'm happy that both of my headlights are on and they both have high beams cause that one on one off thing bugs the crap outta me.

I'm with IP on high beams