Bike builds...

Moto-Brian

So, we got the two machines for my son to start his road racing career. OK, his road racing HOBBY. But, he's excited and ready to roll. We need a size 38 or 40 US suit if anyone has one they wanna sell CHEAP! If he sucks at this or decides he hates it, I don't want to buy a $1000 suit in midget size and have to sell it...

Anyways, got two bikes.

Bike #1: 2004 NSR50. Great little bike from a Columbus local. He took really good care of it. A little different than what i prefer in some areas and we will remedy that with what we typically use for racing. But, overall, outside some cleaning and bodywork/paint, it is really ready to go!

Bike #2: 1997 RS125. This little gem was a piece of work when we first got it. Covered in a thin layer of two stroke oil and dirty as I have ever seen. However, we got a SMOKIN deal on it and the best part, we have more in spare parts value-wise than we have in the bike. We have almost enough to build a complete 2nd motor and have enough top ends and bottom end parts for 3 plus refreshes. Which is great for these machines.

As it sits, it is at least clean enough that I was willing to take a pic. The thing was horribly dirty and to our standards, is needing a lot of help. Loads of missed stuff when prepping and loads of things that just should be replaced/repaired.

Here they are before we go into work:

NSR50:

IMG_1467.jpg

RS125:

IMG_1577.jpg

The idea is that we will use the NSR for cart track training to develop his skill set and work on form, braking, corner work, etc. We really want to get another RS to put an 85 or even a 65 in it for practice, but they are pricey and hard to come by. I have my eyes and fellow KTM employees looking for a donor motor. I have a fab guy that can do it easily once we get one or we may take the RM65 we have and tear into it.

The RS was just too good a deal to pass up and we got it for really, next year at the earliest depending on how far he comes and how comfortable I feel about him doing big track stuff. I will most likely use it a few times to shake it down. Should look funny with a bear riding a tricycle image coming to mind...:D

Here's what I did this afternoon. It's like working with a model! It's so easy to work on, so easy to move around and such.

A LOAD of things were an issue in my mind. Little shit like bent fairing brackets, clip-ons slightly bent, cheapo clutch lever, etc... I am going to grease everything and assemble back together. Need to get the frame cleaned really good and polish a few spots. Should look MUCH better once I do that.

RS125step2.jpg

At this stage, we are looking almost the same as the last pic. With one major exception - CLEAN!!! Tore EVERYTHING down and replaced bearings and greased stuff, etc. Swingarm bolt was actually lubed!!! I was blown away. That's usually an item that gets neglected. Even the steering head bearings and such were as described and fairly new.

We replaced however a few others in the suspension area and cleaned and regreased the other stuff with a bit better grease.

I am debating putting the motor back in and getting things replaced to be able to ride the thing and shake it down. I can refresh the entire motor over winter which I plan to do.

Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

So, we are at the stage where we did the following to the bike:

-Frame has been torn down completely and all bearings replaced or regreased and replaced.

-Swingarm - same deal as frame

-Regreased all axles, swingarm bolt, steering head bearings and related.

-Replaced all the junky wire ties that were used to retain the bodywork clips. Will redo in Tygon and safety wire to be cleaner.

-Cleaned and got all calipers taken care of. They were a complete mess.

-Cleaned the rims. It's a 97 so, they are knicked everywhere. But, they are actually nice and shiny white!

-Cleaned and replaced the controls. The clutch lever was outdated and crappy. The M/C is a bit older and may replace with a Brembo unit, but not yet. Have one sitting in the spares box, but don't think he will need it yet.

-Essentially cleaned everything with brushes, scrubbing pads, etc. This thing was filthy. It was good that it had a layer of oil everywhere to basically preclude any oxidation and such, but it was a mess.

Here she sits sans motor. We will get the motor cleaned and inspect it before trying to test it out. I really hope to have this done for Putnam just to run a few sessions on it to see if everything works...

RS125frameclean4.jpg

Upper controls. New Vortex and clutch lever.

RS125frameclean2.jpg

Rear. Shock has been cleaned and will need a refresh along with the forks over winter via Mr. Frankenfield...

RS125frameclean3.jpg

If he wants to use my old size 40 A'Stars suit for practice he can. I use it as a rain suit. lol

Nah, we are buying one. We looked and had a tough time finding one for the right money. I used an industry connection to get him a great deal on a new one so, we appreciate the offer, but will wait until it gets here.

Well, today is the day we start in on doing a complete refresh of the motor. Complete tear down.

So, I decided that I would grab some small square tubing sitting around and make an engine stand. The motor is so small and easy to work on that I wanted a stand that I could put up on a table and work on it.

Not my best work, but it was a quick weld and grind job so, it isn't pretty, but works.

We got into the tear down immediately and will hopefully have a full on fresh motor soon...

RS125motorandstand.jpg

• 2 weeks later...