Back road corner carver project-Ninja 250R or 'zuki GS500F?

modular

The SV has 77hp to the HawkGT's 45. Parts can be had from anywhere for cheap.

They might not be unusual on the forums, but it's rare I see any on the road.

I think you're a tad high on the SV horsepower number, but it definitely is considerably more than the hawk.

Maybe I need to go back and re-read, but what kind of top-speed potential is necessary for this project? If I recall, he explicitly wanted highway capability, but that was for rare occasions.

If that's the case, a GS500 with clip-ons is just about perfect. Best chassis out of all the cheap bikes out there. Shouldn't need to break a grand buying one.

I am looking for as standard a seating position as possible due to an entrapped nerve in my right elbow-no more than about 20* lean angle. I am hardly ever on the freeway except riding down to 10/22 in NKY or other destinations-maybe 5% total.

Top speed/corner to corner speed is not as important as cornering ability is. Low maintenance and durability is also important.

I have set a $4k upper limit as this will give me funds left over out of my yearly profit sharing check to tweek the suspension, get sticky tires, exhaust and re-jet the carb/carbs after the initial bike purchase.

Um..sv650 is different. And more of a corner carver than the 1k

I gotta agree with this. Currently on my SV1k with the GSXR front end and rear wheel mods. Bought the stocker and made the mods based on how much fun I had on my 03 sv650. spec sheets say the only major difference is 40lbs heavier for the 1k (I was taking the GSXR front end off of the 650, so different forks didn't matter in my decision).

650 handled awesome. 1k not so much. Thinking about going back to a 650.

Great, great bike, esp with the conversion (its all bolt-on) and a great winter project.

I've got MX bars and risers coming for mine. I've got an extra top triple clamp and want to give it a try. And I'm realllllly trying to talk myself out of a 2013 Z1000....

I have ridden a nicely modded SVsixfity. Just not in love with the bikes. Can't give you a specific reason. I do like the exhaust note, though. I want something real simple to maintain as well. I really have it narrowed down to a GS500E or Ninja 500R at this point.

I can't wait to here the haters on this one, but how about a Buell Blast? Super Cheap, can get one around $500 in good working condition, beyond easy to work on, air cooled, carb, great cornering with suspension mods...

Read this if you want more info:

Why a Blast?

Just throwing that out there. Looks like you've locked it down, but thought I'd share anyway.

Holy crap, the rear seat are almost as much as the 515cc stage one kit from NHRS. Banke doesn't even list a price.

But, I learned something today. Thank you for the links!

Edited by modular
Spelling

Trans is clunky, but workable. Get a Baker Trans Drum for $250-$300 and it should be smooth. I'll be getting one in the coming weeks. Redline can be raised with aftermarket ignition ($100 I think) and valve springs (cheap). I have mine set at 7500, another person I know has their's set to 8k. I believe stock valve springs might be able to make it to 6800?

You can cut the front peg off and weld it on to the rear pegs. A few people have done that and there is a guy I know that will do it for you. This is his bike (look at pegs):

IMG_1254-2.jpg

Handling can be improved with suspension upgrades and new tires (pirelli diablo).

If you are really interested in learning more, I'm happy to provide more/specific information

I think you're gonna have to keep repeating that.

EVERYONE: BACK OFF

LOL. No worries brother. Feedback on other options is always welcome if not just for the fact of learning something. Knowledge helps us make educated decisions, yes? :D

I have ridden a nicely modded SVsixfity. Just not in love with the bikes. Can't give you a specific reason. I do like the exhaust note, though. I want something real simple to maintain as well. I really have it narrowed down to a GS500E or Ninja 500R at this point.

Change the oil and filter on occasion, and fill with gas.......that is all that is needed to maintain an SV650. Why wanting to tweak this and tweak that, thought you just wanted to ride and have fun?

But this is what I would get if I were you, and boy will it eat up the twisty bits.

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/mcy/3121282475.html

Getting a bike set up to run and handle it's best is part of the fun for me. The SV just isn't a bike that turns my screws. Last year a looked into supermoto's but that's just not my style.

IMG_1254-2.jpg

Ive rode blasts before and while the model name was quite an overstatement i think im beginning to like them. Ive gotten rid of my fast bikes within recent years and have all slow bike. But the fun factor is definetly still there. Could you provide me a link to a good site for blasts. The one pictured looks pretty sweet

Ive rode blasts before and while the model name was quite an overstatement i think im beginning to like them. Ive gotten rid of my fast bikes within recent years and have all slow bike. But the fun factor is definetly still there. Could you provide me a link to a good site for blasts. The one pictured looks pretty sweet

Best place for Blasts... http://www.buellridersonline.com.

http://buellridersonline.com/forum/gallery/11-hey-bros-show-us-your-ride.html

Why a Blast?

Edited by just_some_dude