Back road corner carver project-Ninja 250R or 'zuki GS500F?

modular

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have experience with the Honda Hawk GT (NT650). I have this thing for obscure, interesting bikes.

P9050005.jpg

Friend of mine has a Hawk GT - his has been heavily massaged for track time - but is a BLAST to ride. Stock condition is still a fun bike - nimble and quick, and has that "V" thump. There was one posted in the past few days on Columbus Craigslist.

I'm way late to the discussion, but I'll make up for that by not trying to talk you into buying an SV, a Blast, a supermoto or a Ducati that's twice your budget. :D

I owned a GS500 back in the dark ages (even briefly owned both a Sportster and the GS500, so I know where you're coming from) and I have ridden the new-generation Ninja 250. Given your criteria, I think you are on the right track with the GS. It handles well and has good brakes, so you can focus your upgrades on increasing power and maybe improving the suspension a little to make it handle even better. It's easy to work on and improve, especially in carburetion.

And although it's a simple and mostly reliable engine, don't ignore a loud cam chain. :facepalm: Don't ask me how I learned that lesson.

what power upgrades are there for a GS500 that get it anywhere near the performance of an EX500 engine?

I like the GS chassis a ton, but the motor is good for ~37hp and really not much more. I mean, I'm sure you could spend a bunch making more power, but why would you want to when it's probably cheaper to just buy a more capable bike that handles just as well?

if he wants a GS500, awesome - nothing wrong with those bikes in the least, but if he wants a GS500 with more power, it's called an SV650, or a Honda Hawk, or a Honda F2/F3, or any number of other bikes that will make more power (stock) and handle just as well.

what power upgrades are there for a GS500 that get it anywhere near the performance of an EX500 engine?

None that I know of.

If the original question was what good-handling lightweight bike should I buy for under $4k used, I would also have suggested an SV650 or an EX500. I'd personally buy either one over a GS500, no question.

But the orignial question was whether a Ninja 250 or a GS500 would make a better platform for the project he has in mind. He said he wasn't interested in an SV, for purely personal reasons, so I didn't suggest one. He also said he liked the idea of the simple air-cooled engine on the GS and that power wasn't that important to him, so I didn't mention the EX.

When someone asks, "Which is better, X or Y," I don't see the point in the inevitable six pages of posts by people saying "Z is much better," especially since 90% of those posters own a Z. But freedom of speech is alive and well here at OR, so you guys can go on another ten pages trying to change his mind if you like.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, I ended up with a '94 GS500E. $900, less than 4400 miles, forks already done with Sonic springs and oil, carbs re-jetted to rid the bike of the lean emission setting and 800 mile old Michelin tires. I have a 2005 Katana rear shock on the way.

photo1_zpsed569335.jpg

photo2_zpsd2513547.jpg

Picked the bike up Saturday. Upon arrival at home I started to go through it and throw the parts at it I had waiting. Installed EBC HH pads front/rear, 2005 Katana rear shock (it already has Sonic springs in the forks) and some cosmetic do-dads. The stock bars were tweaked on the right side so I had to order a pair of Superbike bars and some Pro Grip 699's. Did some fine-tuning to the carbs but had to order new jets one size bigger to get it all copacetic and rid it of the factory lean condition.