Track day rookie, you can be one too

Mojoe

So I'll start this with my time on a bike and go from there, because it is short.

So, all my friends were on bikes. I liked them, wanted one, but knew it was not the right time for me. I was going to make some bad calls and hurt myself, or worse, someone else. Years went by. I had cars I was taking to the track. I knew I liked carving up corners and finally the time came when I was confident I would make the right decisions on a bike. That was 3 years ago. I didn't know jack about bikes, and Yota and Todd, members on here helped me out. I bought a bike, 07 650RR Kawi. Rode it 3 times, and sold it before I rode it 10. Wrong bike for me, but got a smoking deal on it and sold it for an 07 GSXR. So now it's time to learn to ride. From taking the cars to the track, I realized that's where I really learned to drive them well. So I said that's the only way to go on the bike too. I rode the bike around town little. I went to a couple small bike events for shops. But realized quickly, I really didn't like the street bike scene. Even riding around town was pissing me off. Crazy things like couch cushions in the road, just made me re-access what I wanted from being on a bike. There are so many images out there of people on sport bikes. There's the "no gear, hat on backwards with shades, showing of some crappy tattoo" guy. The "I go to the gym" guy. We know the types I'm talking about. For me, getting on the bike was time to blow off steam and feel exhilarating. It was me time. And understanding that every time could be the last time I get on a bike. I took it too serious, to ensure I would respect getting on a bike for the dangers there are.

My first year, I might have rode 1000 miles. I wasn't riding in the rain and I wasn't looking for long road trips. I got in one track day toward the end of the season, and loved it. This is what I got the bike for. And man did I suck on the track. But I was learning. I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was just getting use to it really. Then I got deployed and the bike got some minor work done, but it sat for a year.

So now it's straight to the track. Sure enough, my first track day was terrible. I was over thinking everything and just didn't have it. I just finished my 2nd track day and now have about 1200 miles total time on a bike; I say that so you can laugh. Fact is, I have learned more to the track about how to ride the bike and what it can do, and what I can make it do. I'm not fast and I'm fine with that. But what I have reached is smooth, and it feels good. This is just the start point for getting where you can push a little more, and I get that. I have one more track day this season probably, but I'm looking forward to working through the learning curves of all the future ones.

FYI, this write up is because I have read several members inquire about track days and I thought this might give them the bump to pull the trigger on one. Just go. Get one in. If you hate it, that's great, now you know. If you learn something, great, now you know. If you Wreck, great, now you won't be hit by a truck.

Get your gear. Get your bike ready. Don't care about power. I tell people all the time I have a 250, with 500 on reserve. I have way more bike than I need. If I could take a 250 on the track, I think that would be fun as hell. Go to learn and have fun, not to measure dicks.

Thanks to Hoblick, Jason and Teresa Bowman, and Brain at Indy Moto. Awesome people make track days more fun.

• Upvote 2

dude, so glad you had a great time!!. we are so happy to help!! hopefully all goes well your next one and then next year we can really get you out there!!

I say the same thing. its about improving your skills/control of the motorcycle and of course number 1 to have FUN!!!

That's cool, I'd like to do a track day once, but I don't have money to splurge on trackworthy gear...

and if I did, I'd probably spend it on a track specific bike first, cause my bike is pretty heavy, and I really wouldn't want to wad it up pushing my limits on the track.

you can rent from motoseries for like 30-35 bucks. or borrow one of ours. what size are you?

cheaper than I thought, but I still don't have the money for a track day right now, saving for a house down payment

My current rocket jacket is a 40, and it fits nice and snug everywhere except the belly...

His suit size is probably like a 40 but his helmet size is XXXXXXL.

:D

ohhh har har....;)

Edited by magley64

Well said. There is no experience like letting a sport bike stretch it's legs on a track. You learn more about yourself and your bike in one day than in years of street riding.

Magley you don't need a house unless it's for bike storage. I called Mid-Ohio and they said you could ride double with me for an extra $25. We'll take turns and have 2 knees down in the keyhole. I have to cut my tail out for a passenger seat though.

I can't live in my bike...

If I'm gonna be paying rent somewhere, I might as well be building equity, too.

Also I like the idea of being able to do pretty much what I want it my house without asking permission from a landlord.

I can't live in my bike...

If I'm gonna be paying rent somewhere, I might as well be building equity, too.

Also I like the idea of being able to do pretty much what I want it my house without asking permission from a landlord.

I know what you mean. I built my place in the country so I could blare my stereo and work on my bikes at 11 at night.

If you go FHA you only need 3.5% down.

I know what you mean. I built my place in the country so I could blare my stereo and work on my bikes at 11 at night.

If you go FHA you only need 3.5% down.

yep, that's what the broker told me, but to be on the safe side he suggested i save 6k for closing costs, earnest money, inspections, and down payment, better to have too much than not enough.

:hijack:

Not one single shout out? Sadface!

Shout out to Dubguy for Meeting me at iron iron pony for suit fitting in the middle of winter to help me get on the track. Also got me a killer deal on my one piece... Helped me out a lot and just do happens he is a good guy too. :)

Shout out to Dubguy for Meeting me at iron iron pony for suit fitting in the middle of winter to help me get on the track. Also got me a killer deal on my one piece... Helped me out a lot and just do happens he is a good guy too. :)

YES!!!! Thats what I'm talking about.. :p

That is BS.. I tried to rep you but apparently need to spread it around.. Someone rep this man for me!

:bow: