tips for riding with a bum foot

RideSlow

I rode my bike about 6 times before last week, then I had something heavy fall(not the bike!!) on my right foot and couldnt fit my foot in a boot. I had it x-rayed day of, no breaks but def pulled/torn ligaments, been patiently waiting for it to get better, but at this point the swelling is mostly down and I can use my foot, just severly tender on the top (no touchy touchy).

i went riding for about 45 mins tonight to get back in the saddle and give it a go, it seemed ok but the foot doesn't listen quite right (if that makes sense). my guess is I need to suck it up and wait some more or just retrain my brain to deal with what I have.

any tips?

Edited by RideSlow

Ride slow

heheh... you told ride slow to ride slow...

i had a broke toe and i just upshifted with the top area of my foot, without bending the ankle, but just pulling the leg upwards.

but if it's the whole top of your foot, you're probably just gonna have to deal.

lol I already do that!! my wife says that to me before I leave the house, seemed fitting. I guess I know what I need to do, just blah, frustrated that I was making good progress getting back to riding and now I'm back to square one.

yah its my brake foot, the only issue I really have is its kind of like pushing someone elses foot, like a unstable flop onto the floorboard, and its given me a bit of a wobble/wave in my ride somehow, I'm wondering if I was/am pushing my floorboards when I ride as weight shift. its just a different beast :(

I'm sure the doc has already told you this but, you should really work on flexing your ankle bringing your foot upward as much as possible and then all the way pointed down again even if it is painful. This will prevent you from getting what is known as drop foot. If you have to, take 400-800mg of ibuprofen 30-45 minutes before you start your therapy.

I'm sure the doc has already told you this but, you should really work on flexing your ankle bringing your foot upward as much as possible and then all the way pointed down again even if it is painful. This will prevent you from getting what is known as drop foot. If you have to, take 400-800mg of ibuprofen 30-45 minutes before you start your therapy.

I have been doing this, its not too uncomfortable, its getting better every day thankfully, they told me it would hurt as it does, there isn't much they can do aside from tell me to keep it elevated as much as is reasonable while its still swollen and as you said move it around..

Cant really see how the right foot would keep me from riding somewhat aggressive and still having fun, especially on a cruiser.:wtf:

lol, maybe not you, I haven't road a bike in over a decade, and only have 6 rides on this bike, not really beaming with confidence or got my groove back yet lol.. other than taking the first week off to wait for the boot to fit over my foot, I dont disagree much. the problem is likely 60% mental 20% physical and 20% sissy... but there ya are, its a big heavy bike and I'm still a little wary of it.